• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington summer improvements

Jully

Holy balls! I just saw this. Six person bubble on snowdon? That will quiet the K lift haters on kzone for a bit and ramp up the haters of high speed lifts haha.

cdskier

A bubble lift? The Beast is going soft! :beer:

Jully

I think they're striking a really nice medium between making the resort better for intermediates and catering to the advanced crowd that makes K the Beast.

Tunnels should make ttb skiing nicer in general I think. Regrading and widening some trails will definitely upset some though. Great Northern could use it though, IMO.

cdskier

The only thing I don't support, but I'll deal with.

Long live the Beast -- great improvements overall

Why not? I had my doubts at first when SB announced RFID for this year...but so far it is pretty great (Except for people that can't follow directions on where to place the pass and to not have anything else in the same pocket with it)

bdfreetuna

Why not? I had my doubts at first when SB announced RFID for this year...but so far it is pretty great (Except for people that can't follow directions on where to place the pass and to not have anything else in the same pocket with it)

I prefer the old school vibe of a simple lift ticket and random/limited ticket checks.

skiur

I prefer the old school vibe of a simple lift ticket and random/limited ticket checks.

And the choke point around the scanner because he is trying to scan the same person for 2 minutes and morons just stand there and wait while empty chairs go up?

canobie#1

K's gotta get with the times.

This is the best news of the season!! Lets hope they keep going by knocking down the dumpy ramshead/snowshed lodges next summer!

boston_e

And the choke point around the scanner because he is trying to scan the same person for 2 minutes and morons just stand there and wait while empty chairs go up?

In fairness... I have seen similar with rfid when a gate does not open etc...

cdskier

In fairness... I have seen similar with rfid when a gate does not open etc...

But usually it doesn't open because people can't follow instructions... (i.e. they have the pass in a pocket along with their wallet and/or cell phone or have the pass in a pocket on the wrong side of their body)

bdfreetuna

I've waited in long lines at K-1 before but don't recall missing a ride due to scanning issues, rather it tends to be general f-up-ery in terms of getting people to crowd into the gondola. Never really have to wait in much of a line at any other lifts. I can recall waiting for people to figure out their RFID at various other ski areas.

It has it's advantages though. I hope we don't see MRG or Magic adopting these any time soon.

jmgard

Definitely good to have something high speed on Snowdon but a 6pack seems like a lot of people in a small-ish area especially if the triple sticks around... admittedly haven't been to K outside of early/late season in a while but Snowdon never seemed like a super huge area.

speden

Whoa, that looks like a solid list of upgrades. Didn't see that coming. They didn't list any snow making upgrades, but maybe there will be some of that too. I think maybe I'll be heading to K more often next season.

drjeff

Definitely good to have something high speed on Snowdon but a 6pack seems like a lot of people in a small-ish area especially if the triple sticks around... admittedly haven't been to K outside of early/late season in a while but Snowdon never seemed like a super huge area.
I could see the venerable Snowdon Triple being used as a Killington Ski Club/Killington Mtn school athlete's only lift when the new 6 pack is running. Since while the KMS/KSC athlete's will be getting a new, dedicated race training area with the moving of the Snowdon Poma over to Swirl on Ramshead, I'm guessing that they'll still use Highline and Conclusion as training venues as well

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app