Plattekill Party: Winter Storm Riley 3-2-17 Roll Call - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Another shot from Saturday, pics were pretty marginal:

Here's our piece on the weekend:

http://nyskiblog.com/winter-storm-riley-at-plattekill/

I don't have much to add. Saturday was one of the all time great days. One I'll remember forever.

I'm not sure I ever skied that much thick, heavy snow. It was like spring skiing in Tahoe after a two day storm (minus the sunshine and blackjack). But that same kind of bottomless mashed potatoes where the backsides of the moguls were still super soft at four p.m.

At the risk of being banned from AZone, there was almost too much snow in the woods. It got better as it got tracked out. I had a hell of a time staying on top of the snow early on (on a 168cm deck!); it was actually better when there was a track or two so you could keep speed up.

It was exhausting as well. Again at the risk of a ban, I was almost longing for a groomer to bomb and carve after lunch. My quads were smoked!

There were definitely some bummed out people in the lodge with the no cash situation and long lines. I don't mean to twist the knife here, but just for next time, on a day like that, at a place like Platty, no lifty was gonna get in between you and the pow. I mean, they couldn't keep up with anything, not beer service, not food service, it was like Woodstock man! It's not like they have those scanners or something.

I wouldn't ever advocate theft of service but there were mitigating circumstances!

Anyway, that one storm was worth a whole month of base building, and it looks like you'll get a second chance this week. Get after it!

[QUOTE=Abominable;997167]

There were definitely some bummed out people in the lodge with the no cash situation and long lines. I don't mean to twist the knife here, but just for next time, on a day like that, at a place like Platty, no lifty was gonna get in between you and the pow. I mean, they couldn't keep up with anything, not beer service, not food service, it was like Woodstock man! It's not like they have those scanners or something.

I wouldn't ever advocate theft of service but there were mitigating circumstances!

Anyway, that one storm was worth a whole month of base building, and it looks like you'll get a second chance this week. Get after it![/QUOTE

I noticed the lack of scanners as well , and thought the same thing. I heard a comment about ,"Half the staff didn't show"? Couldn't blame them ,probably digging out ? I would have "Borrowed "some turns and sent them $
    latter ...with some interest.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”

Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    I would have "Borrowed "some turns and sent them $ latter
    Platty usually hits the right notes, but they should have taken people's info and just let them ski for the day on an "honor system" to repay.

Folks made that drive to the hill and they got turned away because Platty's tech is down due to weather. Doesn't seem right.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Would your company do that? Mine wouldn't.

Plattekill was sold out, operating at maximum capacity. What would be the motivation to let people ski on the honor system? How do you follow up? Send out bills? Second and third notices for those who don't pay right away?

I know - charge extra for the privilege of billing. Maybe make it an even $100. Still probably cheaper than driving 50 miles to find a working atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post

Plattekill was sold out, operating at maximum capacity. What would be the motivation to let people ski on the honor system? How do you follow up? Send out bills? Second and third notices for those who don't pay right away?

I know - charge extra for the privilege of billing. Maybe make it an even $100. Still probably cheaper than driving 50 miles to find a working atm.
    23.jpg

Dig through the basement for one of these dinosaurs .....
    Excellent Blog by the way

My Best East Coast day ever !!!!
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”

Ben Franklin

Just say No to a cashless society.

I always stick a wad of cash into my wallet when I head north on a ski sojern. And I always come home with almost all of it.

Not this time. Cash was king and I loaned some to a buddy for a ticket and spent the rest.

Bob: good idea. And thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
    Just say No to a cashless society.
    I stuck my hand in the cash cup on the way out ,just in case . Almost lost a $20.00, was in line pulled out $70.00 to pay and a gust of wind grabbed a $20.00 and blew it past a dozen people ."Mad scramble"LOL Everyone started grabbing at it and it flew back and went into a snowdrift .A kid shoveling snow gave it back to me and I offered a reward but he wouldn't accept it .

Ben Franklin

Plattekill was sold out, operating at maximum capacity.
    What would be the motivation to let people ski on the honor system? How do you follow up? Send out bills? Second and third notices for those who don't pay right away?
    If they were truly at maximum capacity then it's a moot point.

The motivation, however, is obvious, keep the customer happy given the customer did nothing wrong and likely drove through white-knuckle conditions to get to their favorite ski hill for a fantastic day, rather than sadly being turned-away due to no fault of their own. It's called customer service. Sure, there would be some bums who wouldn't pay you back, but for every one of them there'd be 5 people who would pay you back, and that goodwill gesture would create 5 lifelong Platty fans and paying customers = $$$$.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information