• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill Party: Winter Storm Riley 3-2-17 Roll Call

Abominable

Ha ha what freakin year is it?

Will decide en route. Hopefully Catskills bound AZers will use this thread to post rumors and innuendo about where the crowds aint, and who’s got the freshies.

My thinking right now is that if all Catskills are open then platt is best despite being skied today. But locals to hunter might get a few runs of the season. If everything is else is closed then platt could suffer.

Lastly all it takes is one downed tree to screw this all up.

If we all end up at platt then let’s do a shotski around 11:30.

Rowsdower

Blue jacket and helmet, black pants. Riding a K2 Raygun (white topsheet).

Given my location its the Catskills or a 2.5-3hr drive to Magic. I'm hoping more than Platty is open tomorrow to lessen the crowds, but even if its not it'll be worth it.

JimG.

Staff member
Belle and Hunter still closed.

Got up at 6 to drive up to Platty, going nowhere a tree came down last night and is blocking my driveway. I'll be with my chainsaw today.

Abominable

Bummer!

On the Thruway. Lots of Jersey plates and ski racks.

Gonna be a few people there but sounds like plenty of snow to go around.

JimG.

Staff member
Bummer!

On the Thruway. Lots of Jersey plates and ski racks.

Gonna be a few people there but sounds like plenty of snow to go around.

When you mentioned all it would take is a downed tree to screw things up I had no idea you meant at my house!

Today is Winterfest at Platty there is a torchlight parade tonight. Looks like all roads lead there today.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Sorry to hear about Jim and Rowsdowers days �� My first trip to Platty started last night. My power was out so apparently a smoke detector took a shit at 1am, it was high up in my loft area so I wailed it with a piece of pipe. Never did get back to sleep. My gas gauge is normally 10-2 postition , when I got in the car it was 7? Made good time got there at 8:15 road was sketchy. I had a line from hotel California in my head “You can check out but you can never leave “. Got an early chair and a few untracked and a couple woods runs . Everyone was spot on with there observations from yesterday. BG lines were quick. Jim G .... “zoo” it took 45min to leave ,there were cars parked on the side of the road for 2 miles!
Very cool place! But last night killed me and I had nothing left after lunch.

My power co says will be back on Wednesday!!!

Last edited:

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Today was the busiest day in the history of Plattekill. (since 1993 anyway).

3/2/18 was all time...

matt_-_1.jpg

abc

When you mentioned all it would take is a downed tree to screw things up I had no idea you meant at my house!

Today is Winterfest at Platty there is a torchlight parade tonight. Looks like all roads lead there today.
Sorry Jim you got jinx by us. When I said 1/2 the people can't get out of their drive way, I didn't mean it to happen to you! Sorry man.

I was in that jinx crowd too. I lost power, which was no biggie. But the garage door wouldn't stay up! *(&(!!

After fussing for 1/2 hr without success, I turned my attention to find something to hold the door up just high enough to drive the car out. That something turned out to be my longest skis. Just tall enough for the car to sneak out under the half open garage door.

Having wasted 3/4 hr, I still had no food. The local Duncan Donut which was lucky enough to have power had long lines, both at the counter and at the drive through. More delays.

Bell and Hunter were still closed. So I knew both Platy and Windham would be super busy. I considered xc skiing at Mohonk. I just wanted to ski (it beats sitting in a cold house anyway).

But then found out they didn't set track. Nor did Minnewaska. In that case, I prefer to downhill skiing. I suspected Windham would be busy, especially with the overflow of Hunter people. But at 10 o'clock, the base cam didn't look too bad. So I headed over. But I must have checked just a few minutes before their web site update that said the parking was full. :( So when I got there and was turned around.

Checked Bell web site again, still closed. Last resort was cross country skiing, despite no tracks. Before I got on the Thruway heading south, I check one last time on Bell, must have missed by just a few minutes their announcement to open around 12! :(

So, a lot of bad timing, a lot of driving for not a lot of skiing.

No sure what to do Sunday. Still no power at the house. So skiing is preferable, crowds notwithstanding. Will probably try Belle. Likely t be a zoo too.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Today was the busiest day in the history of Plattekill. (since 1993 anyway).

3/2/18 was all time...

Good for them with the season as bad as this one it’s perfect timing.

I think what kept the lines in check was top to bottom runs were impossible except for the young animals.
Getting around the lodge area was a chore. I went to set my skis by the fence and stepped off the packed area and was up to my crotch.

Watched a runaway ski slowly pass me and bury itself. Looked 100yds up to see a young girl planted up to her waist. I dug her ski out and planted it tail first, she smiled and fell backwards exasperated. Not a day for beginners for sure. 1857DAA9-AA04-4B80-92F3-F7622F561D93.jpg1CBD956A-81CC-40BF-AF30-5B0BBE191C19.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
Sorry Jim you got jinx by us. When I said 1/2 the people can't get out of their drive way, I didn't mean it to happen to you! Sorry man.

You guys didn't jinx me. Shit happens during storms like this. Frankly I feel lucky. The tree that came down was not so big that I couldn't remove it myself. I never lost power either.

I'm actually now happy I couldn't leave yesterday. Chances are I would not have had $65 in cash on me if I had gone to Platty and I thought of pre-purchasing a ticket but decided against it in hopes Belle would open. Since it didn't until noon, I would have driven to Platty and been turned away. Who knows if I would have even checked to see if Belle opened I'm sure I would have been pissed I had to have cash at Platty and didn't.

So I'll be very happy to ski packed powder Mon-Wed with nobody else skiing. That suits me just fine.

tnt1234

Sorry you guys had hassles.

Just posted a rather long trip report with no pictures.

Great two days at Plattekill. Love that place.