Saturday? Southern VT or Cats, where to avoid the worst of crowd? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    My only concern with Pico is their low trail count even after last storm. So I don’t know they’ll get enough to open all the fun stuff.
    Killington has everything but their gnarliest and southern-facing stuff open. With 12" you could easily get 100% open at Pico. Killington has more rocks and they'll probably have everything but Devil's Den open.

2018-2019 2 days and counting...
    Mount Snow: 10/27
    Killington: 11/16
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Almost everywhere is going 100% is my prediction.

I'll be up there Saturday as well. Might take a change at Smuggs... it'll be day 3 in a row so if I get fewer runs in, whatever. Mount Ellen is another reasonable choice for Saturdays. Burke is low crowds but it's hard to say if they'll be able to fully open.

Magic probably won't be too busy Saturday either as they ought to have a decent contingent arriving for Thursday/Friday .. myself included

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I need to pack Sunday for my trip to Utah.
    You're aware there's no train, right?
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by JDMRoma View Post
    Were thinking Magic as well !
    Magic has a bunch of 10-14yr olds clad in race suits as well as some parents and coaches scheduled to be racing on Showoff on Sunday - that same contingent will be at Bromley on Saturday.

If one goes to Magic on Sunday and the parking lots look jammed, early, #1 those of us in the racing contingent have to get there early (as in kids ready to load the Red at opening bell, and #2 - there won't be very much traffic proportional to parking lot fullness on anything not related to Showoff and/or whatever connector trails chosen to get from the summit down to the top of Showoff
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

'18 - '19 season
    November: 17.18,23,25 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1 (Mount Snow)

Planning on Sunday at this point. Seems that half of the tri-state region was in SoVT last Saturday.
    "I like homemade food. I just do."

This weekend will be first time in the condo. Decision to make..drive up friday night and be able to get the 7:30 chair or early saturday. I'm thinking Friday night..really like the 7:30 chair as it gives you 2 hours before the hoards show up.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    You're aware there's no train, right?
    What train?

From a purely condition standpoint, you really cant go wrong with anywhere this weekend, other than maybe blue hills..........

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Killington has everything but their gnarliest and southern-facing stuff open. With 12" you could easily get 100% open at Pico. Killington has more rocks and they'll probably have everything but Devil's Den open.
    They don't have any glades open, but they looked well covered for (icy) base two weekends ago. Maybe last week's snow was a bit lacking for them to be confident to drop the ropes to the masses, aside from poachers. A foot should do the trick, and Pico is always nice with fresh snow, likely not too bad in the crowding.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Pico is one of those mountains that I typically consider a good place to go to avoid crowds.
    Not on a powder day Damn internet.

Thread Information