Mysterious Lift Mechanical Issues

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mysterious Lift Mechanical Issues

I am not usually a conspiracy theorist but... On Saturday I was at Wildcat and for the first couple of hours the HSQ was turning at a very slow speed. I asked one of the attendants what was up and he said something about a bad sensor. At 11:00 it started running faster, not sure if full speed but better. On Sunday the snow report for Attitash said the Flying Yankee was down for mechanical reasons. So I decided to start my day on Bear side only to find that the Flying Bear was also down for mechanical issues. I never saw a maintenance person looking at the lifts either day. The fixed grips chairs seemed to be running slower than their usual slow pace. Then around 11 both HSQ came online, albeit nowhere near full speed. I heard somebody ask what the deal was on the slow flying Bear and the attendant muttered "er..we had a mechanical issue earlier".. I'm thinking that they are tying to save $ on electricity but would lift speed make a material difference? Perhaps I just need to be more patient..

if the lift is running, I don't think they are saving much (any) money by running it at a lower speed.

High wind storms, with various forms of precipitation for many hours can often cause some havoc with modern, sensor heavy lifts, and may take a day or 2 post storm to full clean and/or dry out....

I'd much rather have a lifts with multiple safety redundancy systems in place, even if it means some reduced capacity operations at times, than not...
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

'18 - '19 season
    November: 17.18,23,25 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,15,16 (Mount Snow)

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    High wind storms, with various forms of precipitation for many hours can often cause some havoc with modern, sensor heavy lifts, and may take a day or 2 post storm to full clean and/or dry out....

I'd much rather have a lifts with multiple safety redundancy systems in place, even if it means some reduced capacity operations at times, than not...
    Makes sense as this was after the storms...

For many fixed grips I believe it actually costs MORE electricity and it isn't great for the lift to run it at slower speeds. HSQs are different, but a fixed grip (especially older one) will not run at slower speeds to save money.

Interesting as I just happened to check the cam 10 minutes ago and was way impressed at how fast the lift was running.Faster than I have ever noticed on the cam previously.
    SIKSKIER

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    For many fixed grips I believe it actually costs MORE electricity and it isn't great for the lift to run it at slower speeds. HSQs are different, but a fixed grip (especially older one) will not run at slower speeds to save money.
    I probably never really noticed the speed before. I was by myself on most of the rides Sunday...it obviously gave me too much time to over think the situation..

Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    Interesting as I just happened to check the cam 10 minutes ago and was way impressed at how fast the lift was running.Faster than I have ever noticed on the cam previously.
    I agree both mountains look fine right now...this concludes my paranoid rant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
    I am not usually a conspiracy theorist but... On Saturday I was at Wildcat and for the first couple of hours the HSQ was turning at a very slow speed. I asked one of the attendants what was up and he said something about a bad sensor. At 11:00 it started running faster, not sure if full speed but better. On Sunday the snow report for Attitash said the Flying Yankee was down for mechanical reasons. So I decided to start my day on Bear side only to find that the Flying Bear was also down for mechanical issues. I never saw a maintenance person looking at the lifts either day. The fixed grips chairs seemed to be running slower than their usual slow pace. Then around 11 both HSQ came online, albeit nowhere near full speed. I heard somebody ask what the deal was on the slow flying Bear and the attendant muttered "er..we had a mechanical issue earlier".. I'm thinking that they are tying to save $ on electricity but would lift speed make a material difference? Perhaps I just need to be more patient..
    Highly doubt it is cost cutting.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Highly doubt it is cost cutting.
    Lack of lift attendants?

Thread Information