• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mysterious Lift Mechanical Issues

john1200c

I am not usually a conspiracy theorist but... On Saturday I was at Wildcat and for the first couple of hours the HSQ was turning at a very slow speed. I asked one of the attendants what was up and he said something about a bad sensor. At 11:00 it started running faster, not sure if full speed but better. On Sunday the snow report for Attitash said the Flying Yankee was down for mechanical reasons. So I decided to start my day on Bear side only to find that the Flying Bear was also down for mechanical issues. I never saw a maintenance person looking at the lifts either day. The fixed grips chairs seemed to be running slower than their usual slow pace. Then around 11 both HSQ came online, albeit nowhere near full speed. I heard somebody ask what the deal was on the slow flying Bear and the attendant muttered "er..we had a mechanical issue earlier".. I'm thinking that they are tying to save $ on electricity but would lift speed make a material difference? Perhaps I just need to be more patient..

ironhippy

if the lift is running, I don't think they are saving much (any) money by running it at a lower speed.

drjeff

High wind storms, with various forms of precipitation for many hours can often cause some havoc with modern, sensor heavy lifts, and may take a day or 2 post storm to full clean and/or dry out....

I'd much rather have a lifts with multiple safety redundancy systems in place, even if it means some reduced capacity operations at times, than not...

john1200c

High wind storms, with various forms of precipitation for many hours can often cause some havoc with modern, sensor heavy lifts, and may take a day or 2 post storm to full clean and/or dry out....

I'd much rather have a lifts with multiple safety redundancy systems in place, even if it means some reduced capacity operations at times, than not...

Makes sense as this was after the storms...

Jully

For many fixed grips I believe it actually costs MORE electricity and it isn't great for the lift to run it at slower speeds. HSQs are different, but a fixed grip (especially older one) will not run at slower speeds to save money.

SIKSKIER

Interesting as I just happened to check the cam 10 minutes ago and was way impressed at how fast the lift was running.Faster than I have ever noticed on the cam previously.

john1200c

For many fixed grips I believe it actually costs MORE electricity and it isn't great for the lift to run it at slower speeds. HSQs are different, but a fixed grip (especially older one) will not run at slower speeds to save money.

I probably never really noticed the speed before. I was by myself on most of the rides Sunday...it obviously gave me too much time to over think the situation..

john1200c

Interesting as I just happened to check the cam 10 minutes ago and was way impressed at how fast the lift was running.Faster than I have ever noticed on the cam previously.

I agree both mountains look fine right now...this concludes my paranoid rant!!!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am not usually a conspiracy theorist but... On Saturday I was at Wildcat and for the first couple of hours the HSQ was turning at a very slow speed. I asked one of the attendants what was up and he said something about a bad sensor. At 11:00 it started running faster, not sure if full speed but better. On Sunday the snow report for Attitash said the Flying Yankee was down for mechanical reasons. So I decided to start my day on Bear side only to find that the Flying Bear was also down for mechanical issues. I never saw a maintenance person looking at the lifts either day. The fixed grips chairs seemed to be running slower than their usual slow pace. Then around 11 both HSQ came online, albeit nowhere near full speed. I heard somebody ask what the deal was on the slow flying Bear and the attendant muttered "er..we had a mechanical issue earlier".. I'm thinking that they are tying to save $ on electricity but would lift speed make a material difference? Perhaps I just need to be more patient..

Highly doubt it is cost cutting.

drjeff

Lack of lift attendants?

More the the age old debate about how many lift mechanics/teams of lift mechanics is adequate for a ski area that has many lifts vs the costs associated with staffing for these far and away minority amount of times that multiple teams are needed???

I'm sure that each resort would have a different answer for this question based on their own specific set of circumstances....

Glenn

I've noticed some mountains will run their high-speeds at about 75% midweek. Has to save some juice.