Big Sky announces new 8-person bubble

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1

    Big Sky announces new 8-person bubble





    https://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...b91d0819e.html

    Very interesting. Can only imagine what kind of chaos that line will be......

  2. #2
    An 8 person lift seems like overkill for the Ramcharger. That lift was always ski on while I was there, so seems more like a marketing move than for practical reasons.

    The article also says they are replacing the Shedhorn lift which makes more sense, since that double is super slow, but services a huge area. I think they should replace the Iron horse quad with a faster lift. We used the Iron horse lift to traverse over to the Moonlight Basin side and that always took forever. They say that's targeted for the future.

  3. #3
    Who goes to Big Sky to go night skiing?

    Wonder if the 8 pack will load while still going down, before going around the bottom bull wheel. Hirli in Zermatt does this, a 6 person lift.
    2017/2018

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by speden View Post
    An 8 person lift seems like overkill for the Ramcharger. That lift was always ski on while I was there, so seems more like a marketing move than for practical reasons.
    Not sure if this is an issue for that lift but wider chairs typically are more wind resistant. Also it says the lift will only serve 3,200 people per hour so thats almost 10 seconds between the chairs, so there should be fewer loading issues.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Not sure if this is an issue for that lift but wider chairs typically are more wind resistant. Also it says the lift will only serve 3,200 people per hour so thats almost 10 seconds between the chairs, so there should be fewer loading issues.

    The bubble 6's at Mount Snow weigh in at about 1500lbs before you put a person on it. Figure an 8 pack is likely in the 1750lbs range or so. Add in 8 bodies and you could be looking at 3000lbs or more at times in a fully loaded chair.... Those things should be pretty capable in most wind velocities and wind directions
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The bubble 6's at Mount Snow weigh in at about 1500lbs before you put a person on it. Figure an 8 pack is likely in the 1750lbs range or so. Add in 8 bodies and you could be looking at 3000lbs or more at times in a fully loaded chair.... Those things should be pretty capable in most wind velocities and wind directions
    For wind its the lowest denominator, which is the return trip with no people on it. So its the weight of the chair empty that matters most.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

  7. #7
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The bubble 6's at Mount Snow weigh in at about 1500lbs before you put a person on it. Figure an 8 pack is likely in the 1750lbs range or so. Add in 8 bodies and you could be looking at 3000lbs or more at times in a fully loaded chair.... Those things should be pretty capable in most wind velocities and wind directions
    The articleI read on Liftblog.com says the 8 pack chairs weigh in at 2200 lbs empty! Loading is straight on as it will have a loading carpet to sequence folks correctly. It also said the loading carpet will height adjust as well for the riders. Can't imagine that part, but if you have a bunch of kids on a chair, would be nice to raise the deck and make it a shorter chair height. Being this is the first 8 in North America (only the second in the world outside of the Alps) and the first D-Line series 8 anywhere (and first D-Line anything in N.A.), I have a feeling Dopp may have cut them an early adopter deal (hoping this move kick starts the series on these shores)

    Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    The articleI read on Liftblog.com says the 8 pack chairs weigh in at 2200 lbs empty! Loading is straight on as it will have a loading carpet to sequence folks correctly. It also said the loading carpet will height adjust as well for the riders. Can't imagine that part, but if you have a bunch of kids on a chair, would be nice to raise the deck and make it a shorter chair height. Being this is the first 8 in North America (only the second in the world outside of the Alps) and the first D-Line series 8 anywhere (and first D-Line anything in N.A.), I have a feeling Dopp may have cut them an early adopter deal (hoping this move kick starts the series on these shores)

    Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Given all the Dopp's that Big Sky is installing between last summer and over the next 7 years or so as part of their 2025 plan, I'm sure that Dopp is taking very good care of Big Sky!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '07-'18 seasons: 567 Days

  9. #9
    Iron Horse is such a slow lift and a key to getting over to Moonlight. Doesn’t need to be an 8 person - just detachable and faster. I guess they want more people eating at the old Spanish Peaks restaurant at the top of Ramcharger. Not that there is a line to eat at Big Sky ever. (Well. Maybe the yurt).


    Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

  10. #10
    Realized last time at Mount Snow ... it sucks loading the 6 Pack.

    Quite a lot of people seem to fall out of the seat as it makes that 90 degree turn as well, meaning lifts stop frequently, and people get embarrassed.

    There is zero tilt/angle to the seats on that 6 pack which makes it pretty easy to fall forwards, especially with 5 other people putting you in a sandwich.

    Don't remember if Okemo's 6 pack was the same. I seem to remember it being a much more comfortable ride.

    Anyway just make a nice modern gondola, these 6 + 8 chair lifts are pushing the limits of practicality.
    2017/2018: Baby Julia born 12/3/2017!
    [Bolton Valley: 2/19] [Bromley: 2/7] [Jay Peak: 4/11, 4/12] [Killington: 12/15, 1/10, 3/15*, 3/24] [Mad River Glen: 2/14, 3/9*] [Magic: 3/8***, 3/23] [Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/22*, 4/19] [Pico: 2/9] [Stowe: 2/15] [Sugarbush: 4/22]

    2016/2017: * = powder day
    [Berkshire East: 1/16, 2/10] [Bolton Valley: 1/1, 2/5*, 2/19] [Burke: 12/17*, 1/28*] [Heavenly: 3/5*, 3/11] [Jay Peak: 1/29*, 4/9] [Jiminy Peak: 11/26] [Killington: 12/4, 12/10, 4/8*, 4/15] [Kirkwood: 3/8] [Mad River Glen: 2/25] [Magic: 2/13*] [Mt Rose: 3/7*] [Mount Snow: 4/3] [Northstar: 3/10] [Okemo: 11/23] [Pico: 1/7*, 2/18, 3/19] [Smuggler’s Notch: 1/22] [Stratton: 2/4] [Stowe: 1/21] [Sugarbush: 1/2] [Telluride: 3/27, 3/28*] [Whiteface: 2/12]

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:54 PM.