• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Sky announces new 8-person bubble

teleo

Wonder if the 8 pack will load while still going down, before going around the bottom bull wheel. Hirli in Zermatt does this, a 6 person lift.

Hirli was really odd, even for alps standards. Approached it with no one around and it took my daughter and i a second to figure out where to load. That would confuse the heck out of folks.

Jcb890

I was thinking the same thing the last time I was there last Sunday. Place was packed, Bluebird line was typically very long so we were in the singles line(s), but the lift kept stopping as folks were having a hard time loading due to not understanding that you just take your place amongst the other 5 and plan ahead so your not adjusting/removing poles or whatever as the lift comes around.

It got me thinking about the real life "net" capacity in which these lifts operate; i.e. if a lift is rated at 10k skiers per hour, but on a normal, full day it stops frequently for whatever reasons is the capacity more like 6.5k per hour? I find that simple, straight load HSQ w/o conveyors or right hand turns seem smoothest.

Unfortunately I had a lot of time to ponder this as even the singles line seemed to crawl...
The Grand Summit Express seems to be an easier lift to board from a customer perspective with the moving carpet.
The GSE also has an easier run-out off the top of the lift. Bluebird's isn't hard, but often gets icy and is a little more pitch than GSE's exit.

I agree with you and Tuna - Bluebird would be safer and easier if it were tilted back a little bit, allowing people to fall into the chair. With it being mostly perpendicular, it can sometimes want to throw you when it picks you up and makes that quick left-hand turn. Especially if it is a full 6 of larger people.

I'm not sure your "net" capacity works here quite as straight-forward as you think because I see straight-shot HSQ's with issues and slow-downs still too.

drjeff

One also has to keep in mind that this 8 pack is being installed in year 2 of Big Sky's bold roughly 10yr plan to revitalize, develop and truly make it a premier destination resort in North America.

So while this 8 pack installation may currently seem like overkill (and it may absolutely be that now) how I fits into their overall final 2025 development plan may make perfect sense in a few years

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

One also has to keep in mind that this 8 pack is being installed in year 2 of Big Sky's bold roughly 10yr plan to revitalize, develop and truly make it a premier destination resort in North America.

So while this 8 pack installation may currently seem like overkill (and it may absolutely be that now) how I fits into their overall final 2025 development plan may make perfect sense in a few years

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
Hopefully that lift doesn't need to utilize that full capacity. Part of what makes Big Sky so amazing is the low crowds.

John9

I almost always see a few lift loading and dismounting mishaps and close calls on standerd quad chairs on any given day. I wonder about 8 people. 1 space out talking on the phone and there it goes. Looks impressive. Waiting to see how the new 6 works at Windham.

Zermatt

I think there are over 70 8 person chairs now, mostly in Europe I assume. Seems to work for them. We just need better skiers.

crank

Ramcharger is one of those get 'em up the hill lifts at the base village area and can get a decent size line in the morning. More capacity will hep with that. There is also a lot of good, easy to access intermediate skiing off that lift along with some fun blueish glade skiing.

I think an 8 pack would not be so hard to load. Hopefully Big Sky will never get so crowded that they really need one other than for clearing out those early morning base lift lines.

Jcb890

Ramcharger is one of those get 'em up the hill lifts at the base village area and can get a decent size line in the morning. More capacity will hep with that. There is also a lot of good, easy to access intermediate skiing off that lift along with some fun blueish glade skiing.

I think an 8 pack would not be so hard to load. Hopefully Big Sky will never get so crowded that they really need one other than for clearing out those early morning base lift lines.
I like the terrain over there too, just wish it was a bit more vertical. If it is a shorter lift ride, it might even things out though.

Jully

In other things Boyne, they've purchased all (I think) their resorts back from OZ including SR, SL, and Loon. A previous theory was that Boyne was investing more in Big Sky because they directly owned it, now we will get to see how much of an impact OZ was really having on investments (or lack thereof).

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2018/03/prweb15308099.htm

machski

In other things Boyne, they've purchased all (I think) their resorts back from OZ including SR, SL, and Loon. A previous theory was that Boyne was investing more in Big Sky because they directly owned it, now we will get to see how much of an impact OZ was really having on investments (or lack thereof).

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2018/03/prweb15308099.htm
Thank God!! We shall see, would love a capital press release at the end of March but probably too early (though as the operator of all the areas, they should already know what the capital plans are and were just waiting for funding to be unlocked).

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Thank God!! We shall see, would love a capital press release at the end of March but probably too early (though as the operator of all the areas, they should already know what the capital plans are and were just waiting for funding to be unlocked).

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app

I'm stoked. Would love that as well. I can't find a price for the sale though. One holdup I can see would be if Boyne plans on selling a mountain or two (much more attractive to sell the whole thing rather than the lease) and using those funds for improvements. That could delay things by a year or so.

Sale will close well before 2018/2019 season, but it isn't closed yet. Not sure if that influences any announcements either.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm stoked. Would love that as well. I can't find a price for the sale though. One holdup I can see would be if Boyne plans on selling a mountain or two (much more attractive to sell the whole thing rather than the lease) and using those funds for improvements. That could delay things by a year or so.

Sale will close well before 2018/2019 season, but it isn't closed yet. Not sure if that influences any announcements either.

SAM reports that the original purchase was $374.5 million if that says anything....

http://www.saminfo.com/headline-news/9033-boyne-resorts-to-buy-seven-properties-from-oz-real-estate