ss20's 7 Day Northern/Central VT Adventure!

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ss20's 7 Day Northern/Central VT Adventure!

Day 1- Sugarbush, Monday 3/12/18

I had a 4am wakeup for the 4 hour drive to Sugarbush. Made it for first tracks. Snow was ohhh sooooo soft. Lot's of smiles everywhere on the hill. I "warmed up" on Lincoln Peak in some wide-open, traditional New England glades that sported nice soft moguls. I hit Stein's which is a little icy in the troughs but has soft snow on the tops of moguls.

Then it was off to Castlerock. I've had one run in this area before, via hiking, in my one other trip to Sugarbush. I was pumped to be able to ski some of the most iconic expert terrain in the East. It did not disappoint! My first run on Middle Earth was nice. Beautiful snow. It was pretty "mellow" compared to what I was expecting. Certainly a solid black diamond but not what I thought I would ski.

So then I did Rumble. And I found out why Castlerock is so special. What a crazy, technical trail. Coverage was OK (I guess), given that it seems every rock in VT was put on that side of the mountain. I really had to pick my way down and plan out a route. Lot's of fun! Liftline is also a great run. A little rockier though. Most of my day (10am-2pm) was spent on Castlerock. I love that double chair. Lots of interesting people on the lift.

After I went to Heaven's Gate. Paradise kicked my ass good! I went along the Long Trail and dropped into one of the chutes. A little more technical than I bargained for...can't say I connected many turns but hopefully with more snow in the forecast I'll get more confident to actually "ski" it later in the week.

I went over to Lynx Peak and liked Morning Star enough for 2 runs. One more on Stein's and I was toast at 4pm

Off to Mad River Glen tomorrow! Everyone I talked to said I picked a great week to ski! Feeling blessed!
    2018-2019 2 days and counting...
    Mount Snow: 10/27
    Killington: 11/16
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

6 more, hopefully deeper by the day.....
    Todo: Cannon, *Wildcat*, *Black*, Pico, MRG, Magic.

11/12 [28]: Sunday River @dawn 2, Sugarloaf 5, Sugarbush 5, Saddleback, Mt Abram, Stowe, Loon 2, Breckenridge, Copper, Vail, Eldora, Burke,
    Sugarbush, Jay Peak 2, Smuggs, Killington

PICTURES! please.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2

Great week to get some. Wish I could...leave now.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Rumble is one of the best trails in VT. Most similar IMO to Robin's Run.

If you manage to ski 7 days in a row I'll be impressed.

Quick update...pics will come now that all my remote-work is done....

Day 2- Mad River Glen

I've never skied Mad River Glen.

As I winded up Route 17...a real ski resort access road...I felt that this was going to be special. The mountain peeked through the morning snow, barely visible. I got parked and did a short 30 foot walk through the mish-mash of old buildings stuck in time. The main "lodge" was an instant timewarp. It was early, 8:30am. The locals were already there booting up. I got in line for the single chair at 8:40am and waited...just as many other eastern skiers have done on their "pilgrimage" to the "holy grail" of the northeast. It's intimidating watching that chair haul ass in front of you for 20 minutes. 9:00 came and 3 patrollers went on. I asked the liftie "Am I good to go" and was given an "all good". Smiling ear-to-ear I loaded up and the liftie shouted the signature "Go-Go-Goooooo!" as I got whisked up the hill.

The terrain is rowdy, as advertised. My favorite run has to be the trees off to the skier's left of Lower Antelope. The trail under the single chair is absolutely gnarly. Glad I got to ski it. They opened up a portion on the lower part with mandatory air. I went over a relatively challenging line and got a "whoo-hooooo" from the chair. That was cool. The level of skiers there is just unreal. It means a lot more to get a cheer from people who can actually ski compared to joey's from Jersey who think any person who can pop off a mogul and stick the landing is hot stuff.

The family vibe here is crazy. I was expecting many older folks and twenty-something ski bums. I saw lots of families. With kids who can rip. Normally when I parent says "my kid went down xxx black diamond" I smirk and think about the kid "skiing" down in a death wedge. That's not the case at MRG.

Lastly, the pub was PACKED at the end of the ski day. Absolutely jammed with locals. Good to see.

5" of fresh made it my best day of the season. Hard to believe tomorrow's probably gonna be even better...
    2018-2019 2 days and counting...
    Mount Snow: 10/27
    Killington: 11/16
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Be sure to ski Burke.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

This will prolly end up being one of the best TR's of the season. The west has nothing on us at this point. This is the kind of season when THEY fly here...
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

congrats on MRG initiation... hope you got to ski Fall Line / Paradise... that's kind of mandatory

I would even encourage you to do a 2nd day there during you 7 day ski trip.

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    This will prolly end up being one of the best TR's of the season. The west has nothing on us at this point. This is the kind of season when THEY fly here...
    Slug is just kidding...no reason for any western skiers to fly east to ski!

Nothing here but manmade snow and dirt.

Thread Information