• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Georgia Ski Lift Failure

Zermatt

Really? What would happen in the case of an evacuation?

I guess it'd be similar to a gondola.

Assume there is a switch that can unlock it. Likely one up high near the cable and probably a hidden one closer to the riders

Jully

Horrifying. Lift did not look that old either.

Makes King Pine look like a training exercise. That only rolled back for a little bit (relatively speaking).

benski

This lift looks New also. It appears to have the same design as the current Valley house at sugarbush.

ceo

Holy crap, that's scary. It looks like, after the first few skiers got thrown off at the bullwheel, that everyone started yelling "Jump off!" at the skiers coming down and for the most part they did so. At least I assume that's what they're yelling. Probably saved some lives.
You can hear the motor being driven backwards. It's pretty clear the resistance from the motor and gearbox kept it from completely running away and eventually stopped it.

Abominable

This.

Not that it was EVER on my list to begin with.

It's by most accounts a beautiful county and an fascinating culture. Big into winemaking, outstanding cuisine, fierce, mountain, tribal culture. Hirsute women that will cut your throat with a curved blade for the wrong off-hand remark.

I've skied not far from there and it was pretty amazing, and probably pretty dangerous on a couple levels, from ancient lift equipment to no boundaries and no patrol to lots of mountain outlaws to the occasional WW2 unexploded ordnance. But I was much younger and less concerned with self preservation.

It was beautiful though.

JimG.

Staff member
It's by most accounts a beautiful county and an fascinating culture. Big into winemaking, outstanding cuisine, fierce, mountain, tribal culture. Hirsute women that will cut your throat with a curved blade for the wrong off-hand remark.

I've skied not far from there and it was pretty amazing, and probably pretty dangerous on a couple levels, from ancient lift equipment to no boundaries and no patrol to lots of mountain outlaws to the occasional WW2 unexploded ordnance. But I was much younger and less concerned with self preservation.

It was beautiful though.

I'm sure it is beautiful and worth seeing and skiing.

But I'm not into gulags, poison, ultrasonic weapons, communism, etc.

Abominable

I'm sure it is beautiful and worth seeing and skiing.

But I'm not into gulags, poison, ultrasonic weapons, communism, etc.

Georgia is fiercely independent, and although a former Soviet Republic, never part of Russia.

raisingarizona

It was beautiful though.

Best AZ post ever? From what I've seen possibly.......

Scratch Georgia off the list of places to ski ...

in soviet union chairlift rides you!

jcibl.jpg