• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need some Okemo info

cdskier

For real. Maybe they don't groom as hard on weekdays. No such things as bumps at okemo on a weekend

Not that I want to defend Okemo, but this is absolutely untrue. There are certain trails that they have bumps on almost all the time. It may be a small percentage of their terrain, but they do exist. I swear I even remember some of those bump trails having seeded bumps (not sure if they still do this part though).

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Okemo is so massive that even though 95% of their trails get groomed nightly (no exaggeration), that last 5% is enough terrain to keep one's self occupied for a day. Double Diamond, Outrage, Big Bang, Eclipse, Ledges, Triplesec, Challenger, and upper Quantum Leap generally have moguls. The Plunge and Sel's Choice are two trails that pretty much always have seeded bumps open to the public...don't see that too much anymore.

cdskier

I feel like okemo would have awful bumps if it had any.

Sounds like you've never been there so not sure why you would say that.

Okemo is so massive that even though 95% of their trails get groomed nightly (no exaggeration), that last 5% is enough terrain to keep one's self occupied for a day. Double Diamond, Outrage, Big Bang, Eclipse, Ledges, Triplesec, Challenger, and upper Quantum Leap generally have moguls. The Plunge and Sel's Choice are two trails that pretty much always have seeded bumps open to the public...don't see that too much anymore.

Cool to hear they still have some seeded bumps. Those were fun. Okemo was the first mountain in VT that I ever went to and while I wouldn't want to go there all the time, it was fun. I also took my sister there once as I thought it would be a good easier intro to VT mountain. We had a blast. Her first experience with moguls was there and she actually looked damn good riding those bumps too (she snowboards). I don't quite get why some people hate on Okemo so much either without even having been there or with minimal knowledge of it. I wouldn't want to make it my home mountain, but you can definitely have a lot of fun there.

fiddleski

Not that I want to defend Okemo, but this is absolutely untrue. There are certain trails that they have bumps on almost all the time. It may be a small percentage of their terrain, but they do exist. I swear I even remember some of those bump trails having seeded bumps (not sure if they still do this part though).

Spent Monday and Tuesday at Okemo, and I can testify to this. I was almost exclusively at Jackson Gore and Solitude and about the only trails at JG that were not bumped were BlueMoon/Lower Limelight, Quantum and and Tuckered. The Plunge at Solitude and upper Timberline were also all bumps. I didn't go to South Face. I'm a groomer skier (obviously - I spent two days at Okemo!), so I can't testify to the quality of the bump runs, but there was no shortage of them. Lots of natural snow is probably key - I have skied some of these groomed at other times when there was less snowpack.

tnt1234

Yeah, we did a family trip to Okemo when our kids were like 5 and 7, and we lucked into a big dump of snow - this was like 9-10 years ago - and all of Jackson Gore was bumped up except tuckered out. And there was a good amount of ungroomed terrain on the main face. Never made it over to the far side that trip just because the kids were in and out of ski school and stuff, and we were staying at JG. But rode the life with a few folks who said there was great skiing happening over there.

It's not a steep mountain, but there are some cool trails there, and some nice glades. As with all mountains, if there is a bunch of snow, you can have a lot fo fun there.