• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot liner lube ?

Bumpsis

Any recommendations for a lubricant to help with stuffing boot liners back into the shell ?

I'm the de facto care taker of my family's ski equipment, including boots, of course. Some of our boots have liners that come out and go back in really easy, like the Intuition liner for Full Tilt boots. The same for my recently acquired Dalbello Panterra since the shells of those boots open really wide, having the "cabrio" design - Similar to the Full Tilts.

However, stuffing back the liners into the traditional 4 buckle boot shell is always a fight and I'm concerned about damaging the liners when putting them back after drying. I don't like using anything that has petroleum based lubricant or even a propellant since I'm concerned about its possible effects (negative) on the plastic of the shell or the liner.
Talcum powder sort of helps, but it's far from being really functional.

I have some silicone spry but I that stuff smells a like WD40, so I'm sure it has petroleum lubricants in it as well. Don't really want to use that.
Any suggestions ?

skiur

Why take them out? Put them on a boot dryer after skiing. Nice to warm the boots up next day before putting them on, warm boots go on much easier.

asnowmobiler

These make putting a boot on easier and installing a liner much easier, it helps the liner slip over the lip from the lower boot shell.80D9E43B-785E-4B67-8A8A-4851B0475E93.jpg

skiur

My boot dryers have my boots dry in 2 hours even after a 75 degrees day ripping spring bumps.

Bumpsis

Why take them out? Put them on a boot dryer after skiing. Nice to warm the boots up next day before putting them on, warm boots go on much easier.

There can be a quite a bit moisture that's between the shell and the liner. If you don't pull the liner out and remove the moisture, you can start a nice mold culture. Also, when the liners are removed from the shell, they dry much faster, even without a boot dryer.

skiur

There can be a quite a bit moisture that's between the shell and the liner. If you don't pull the liner out and remove the moisture, you can start a nice mold culture. Also, when the liners are removed from the shell, they dry much faster, even without a boot dryer.

I must have a better boot dryer than you as I set it for 180 min after skiing and my boots are completely dry on both sides of the liner. Been doing it for years and never have had any mold between boots and liners.

BenedictGomez

I have one of these, it works great. I think I paid about $45 for it on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/PEET-Dryer-A...=1521404084&sr=1-3&keywords=peet+boot+dryer+4

I only use it if I'm skiing 2 or more days in a row though, if I'm just skiing one day, I simply take my liners out. But for those times when you need everything bone dry the next morning, this thing drys your liners & gloves in about 75 minutes. I imagine it would be fantastic for a ski family on vacation.

Domeskier

A few weeks ago I took my liners out to change the footbeds and noticed water between the liners and boot bottoms after they spent a week in the ski closet. I now take out the liners after each day out to let things dry. Everything is usually dry by morning. Might add a boot dryer to the list along with wax.

Smellytele

The boot dyer drys the liner and also drys the shell. Don't need to take the liner out. Just leave them on there over night. I don't have the one with the blower just the heat that rises up.