• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico-3/17

JimG.

Staff member
Got off to a slow start this morning and was freaking out the whole drive up that I wouldn't find a parking spot at Pico. Didn't help when I got stuck behind a logging truck. But I made decent time and even got a decent parking spot at 10am!
My buddy Mike the snowboarder joined me for his first day at Pico.

What can I say? Conditions are exceptional! Perfect packed powder and loose snow bumps on all trails; trees also packed powder with loose snow and some untouched snow for those that like to hunt. We did a lot of hunting and found knee deep in some areas. On one of our last runs we followed a few skiers out of bounds next to Sidewinder and were rewarded with long sections of shin deep snow. I didn't even mind the short hike out.

Perfect snow, some freshies, bluebird skies and cold temps. It does not get better than this! A few pics:

Pic3.jpg
Pic2.jpg
Pic1.jpg

Is this the best eastern March skiing ever or what?!!!!!!!!!

Cornhead

Go fish! Just kidding, yes, best March I can recall. Kudos to getting after it. It was weird, and good, skiing pp groomers this morning at Greek. They've been pretty rare this season. Looking forward to a stellar April and beyond. Platty for me today, season pass holder's day, stoked.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

newskier

I was there today. The snow was awesome--usually I avoid moguls unless they are soft spring bumps but due to the snow conditions today I was able to spend 75% of the time working on them.
The conditions were like a normal day in Colorado--pretty unique for mid March in New England.

JimG.

Staff member
I was there today. The snow was awesome--usually I avoid moguls unless they are soft spring bumps but due to the snow conditions today I was able to spend 75% of the time working on them.
The conditions were like a normal day in Colorado--pretty unique for mid March in New England.

Fully agree about conditions being like out west.

We stayed over on the Outpost double after 2pm or so and I was really enjoying the bumps on every trail over there. Easy to be aggressive when bumps are soft with zero scrape.

Upper Giant Killer had soft bumps and maybe a thin patch or two. Pretty amazing!