• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are you at..where you want to be

Tin

I'm 59, I started skiing at 40. My friends are all telling me I've got a lot better this year. They are giving me a lot of credit. But honestly, I think the difference is a pair of custom skis I bought. The designer/builder really listened to me and I think the dimensions and profile are perfect for me.

You'll still jump shit and not a pussy like most people in this thread.

JimG.

Staff member
Turned 60 March 12. Technically I'm skiing better than ever. My mom started me out at age 5. As I age I make a concerted effort to stay in good shape year round.

I love skiing bumps and trees. My body does not respond well to skiing zipper lines all day but I can still turn 'em on a more limited basis. My concession is putting more carve into my bump skiing.

Skiing 50+ days every season. No problem keeping up with younger skiers. Probably less willing to get into crazy situations now, too much to lose with my family and all. Still happy to get into trouble and enjoy it. I have suffered some gruesome skiing injuries but I'm all healed up and very healthy.

My goal is to drop dead skiing thigh deep powder at the age of 100.

cdskier

You need to get out weekdays, the average age definitely skews higher. If one is retired there is no need to deal with weekend crowds and lift lines.

Yes. I remember a few times mid-week being at Sugarbush in Allyn's lodge and thinking I had walked into a senior citizen center! (And when a mid-week unlimited pass for ages 65+ is only a little over $100, who can blame them?).

JimG.

Staff member
Yes. I remember a few times mid-week being at Sugarbush in Allyn's lodge and thinking I had walked into a senior citizen center! (And when a mid-week unlimited pass for ages 65+ is only a little over $100, who can blame them?).

Don't you know that Monday is grumpy old men day during ski season?

BenedictGomez

Think ill mount up an old pair of sultan 85s for the icy stuff..

Too fat.

I have a pair that's 65mm underneath for ice and early season garbage. I could ski down a block of ice on them.

You need to get out weekdays, the average age definitely skews higher. If one is retired there is no need to deal with weekend crowds and lift lines.

That's a good (and encouraging) point. I'll be skiing some weekdays soon, I'll have to take note of this.

abc

Skill-wise, I still have plenty of room to improve. But physically I’m not as strong nor as quick as I used to be. Also, I’m not as willing to push into terrain that has consequences.

Those offset each other so my overall skiing day is still about where I was 10 years ago. Difference is I used to hack my way down the same terrain I now cruice down smoothly, with a bit of style.

Skiing with style has less impact on the body, and is less tiring. But in this same 10 year span, my general stamina isn’t as good as 10 years ago. So the two offset each other. I can still ski hard bell to bell. But my muscles feel it afterwards.

Going forward, I can’t help to continue to deteriorate in stength and stamina. But hopefully, I’ll continue to get better in skill to offset the physical decline. So that I’ll still be doing the kind of lines I’m doing today.

Last edited:

kingslug

Yup..a lesson at MRG is much cheaper and the runs are long so you spend less time on the lifts..although the lifts are a but slow. Plus they have every type of terrain so you can work on anything you want. Bob said that skiing there elevated his level dramatically over the years.

bigbog

That's it...very weak mogul skills and the yoga exercises and core strength training I need much more of after what has equaled to a long multiple year layoff....following corporate layoff, with me nearing 50 and with my lack of years in Microsoft OS, following 9/11 and a move to Maine.

kingslug

Too fat.

I have a pair that's 65mm underneath for ice and early season garbage. I could ski down a block of ice on them.

That's a good (and encouraging) point. I'll be skiing some weekdays soon, I'll have to take note of this.
There all I have lying around..been doing it on 105's..not liking it though. Could always pick up some skinny sticks somewhere though.

Hawk

Being in my 50's and with 2 knee surgeries, time has finally caught up to me. I first noticed this about 2 years ago with the aches and pains. But now it is hard for me to even go full tilt all day from bell to bell. I was actually skiing full on moguls at a high level up till about 5 years ago. It's tough getting older when you used to be at a top level skiing everything. I can really see why people retire to the west to only ski pow. I now know that it will also be my destiny. :)

Pez

at 46 after a shoulder fix and a knee fix this is turning into a marathon instead of a sprint.

I have no interest in skiing through the woods, and skiing moguls in no way extends your ski life.

If there was one facet of my skiing I would love to improve would be my powder skiing. I just don't get the chance to develop it.

Jcb890

32 and doing the best skiing of my life. pushing into way more risque terrain than in my 20s. always room to get better.
I hear you there. But, tough to compare since when I started off at 16 it was a once-a-year type of hobby.

I'm far better than I ever have been, but still nowhere near where I'd like to be.

KustyTheKlown

I hear you there. But, tough to compare since when I started off at 16 it was a once-a-year type of hobby.

I'm far better than I ever have been, but still nowhere near where I'd like to be.

for sure, being a "grown up" (and i use that term to describe myself very very loosely) i now have the ability and opportunity for 50 day seasons. this is going to be my first actual 50 day season. last year was 47, which is my current record. the prior year, about 40.

as a child, i would ski 10 days a year with my family (3 day mount snow MLK trip, 5 day killington presidents week trip, 2 windham/hunter day trips - if we were lucky the killington trip would be to vail or park city)

in college, i loved to ski but didnt go to a school that was conducive to it (GWU in d.c.). but still, between day trips to snowshoe, big trips with college friends, and occasional family skiing on breaks, about 20 days a season

during law school, a group of college friends moved to jackson hole and had a couch for me to use whenever i wanted. that is when i really got the bug. but i was still really poor and broke. about 25-30 days a season, with many of them at jackson. that's when skiing became important to me

working life (past 7 years), never a season with less than 35 days. and now 50 looks like it is becoming the norm.

i say quite often how i'd like to leave NYC, and i really would like to move west or upstate/hudson valley, and its the need to pay my law school debt and the nyc job market which really keep me here. however, if i can make 50 day seasons the norm, living here isn't all that awful.

HD333

Mid 40’s former skier turned snowboarder, been boarding for 20+ years. Skied intermittently over the past 5 years, like 1-2 days a season to show the kids and friends I still can do it.

Over the past few years I have definitely scaled back on risks, I just can’t save myself from mistakes like I used to. It’s more about enjoying the day and the company now for me. I definitely have slowed down and enjoy picking my way through the woods now rather than bombing a groomer. Never was and never will be a park rat.

I think I have progressed as far as I want to on a board, I’m no Jeremy Jones or Sean White but I don’t want to be.

I am thinking that I should consider switching back to skiing to prolong my snow sliding life, I don’t want to be the old guy on a snowboard and as I get older I think having 4 edges to work with will make bad conditions more enjoyable. I stopped skiing mainly because I got sick of it and wanted something new. I’m thinking that getting back into skiing could be something new to me since ski technology has changed so much.

Maybe next season I’ll swallow my pride and bite the bullet and strap on 4 edges instead of 2 and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
i say quite often how i'd like to leave NYC, and i really would like to move west or upstate/hudson valley, and its the need to pay my law school debt and the nyc job market which really keep me here. however, if i can make 50 day seasons the norm, living here isn't all that awful.

You would like a relocation to the Mid-Hudson Valley say to Dutchess or Ulster county. I'm assuming you prefer living in NYC to commuting every day.

Can't fault you there, commuting from here to the city is a PITA.

Hawk

Being in my 50's and with 2 knee surgeries, time has finally caught up to me. I first noticed this about 2 years ago with the aches and pains. But now it is hard for me to even go full tilt all day from bell to bell. I was actually skiing full on moguls at a high level up till about 5 years ago. It's tough getting older when you used to be at a top level skiing everything. I can really see why people retire to the west to only ski pow. I now know that it will also be my destiny. :)
So to add to this.... I first skied in High School in the early 80's and it was about 10 days a year. I played hockey through my second year at college. At that point I got a season pass at Sunday River, joined a ski house and have skied 50 days a year at a minimum. I had a couple of 100 day years when I graduated college and was a ski bum. Then I got a job and a wife and my years have been 50 to 70 days depending season length. In my 20's I skied Freestyle and competed in comps like Bush-n-Burn and the bear Mt challenge. I was pretty good but always went too big. My best finish was the round of 32 on the second day of b-n-b. My best ski years were in my late 30's and early 40's when I could still ski bumps really well, ski hard all day in any conditions and still able to jump off things without pain. That all ended about 5 to 8 years ago with the development on knee pain. It's going to happen to all you young ones on here and it's actually kind of traumatic. Your mind say you can do it but your body can't. My only advice is to try to limit those pounding icy moguls days and big flat landings. It takes a toll over the years. I know most of you will not take this advice but you will eventually be in my shoes and understand what I am saying.

JimG.

Staff member
My only advice is to try to limit those pounding icy moguls days and big flat landings. It takes a toll over the years. I know most of you will not take this advice but you will eventually be in my shoes and understand what I am saying.

This! The past few weeks with tons of natural snow allows me to ski pain free with no Advil. ULLR is great.