• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are you at..where you want to be

bushpilot

When I said i have gone as far as i probably will at 50. I didn't say i was slowing down but as warren miller said if you ski better in your 40's than you did in your 20's you were never very good anyway.

I didn't start until a year after I moved to Vermont. Been doing it since I was 37 so I am definitely better in my 40s than I was in my 20s and 30s but I will agree with Warren in that I was never and never will be very good anyway, regardless of my age. With that said I am sure I can get a lot better and hope to be doing this for many years to come.

Hawk

I didn't start until a year after I moved to Vermont. Been doing it since I was 37 so I am definitely better in my 40s than I was in my 20s and 30s but I will agree with Warren in that I was never and never will be very good anyway, regardless of my age. With that said I am sure I can get a lot better and hope to be doing this for many years to come.
Well just chasing Parky, Egan and Deano around every weekend should make you better. That is the point of being a Pubic Aviator anyway isn't it. LOL

SkiFanE

If you have been skiing there that long then you and I must know each other. I was part of the Barkah Crew on the second floor for more than 17 years. Still go there a few times each year. Gnarnia was actually created by us originally and call Garden Grove until Boyne went in and cleaned it out. If you are ripping through there then you must be one kickass girl. ;-)

i think our paths have crossed....think think think...I know an obnoxious Jersey Killington skier lol. Thanks for putting Gnarnia in the map lol - been a fun addition to SR.

shwilly

I'm in my 40s now and definitely in that "never was that good anyway" category. I feel like I'm the strongest boarder I've ever been, just in terms of doing terrain comfortably and with a little speed. I've been taking a bit better care of my fitness than I used to, which helps.

I'd describe myself similarly to what Deadhead said: I'll do anything inbounds in the East and most of the sidecountry that I know of. I don't know how much better I'll get. There's plenty of room to grow, but I'm not looking for anything too risky or technical. Falls happen, snow snakes are out there, and I'm not into hitting trees except euphemistically. I have responsibilities and a family and would like to continue my streak of no serious ski injuries, knock on wood. Mainly I'd like to improve my form on the terrain I already do.

I've been learning to ski for fun, so I have tons of room to improve there. (Like, being able to do anything but groomers.) I'd like to get my skiing ability closer to my boarding ability. When conditions are good, though, I only want to board. It's a good problem to have.

ThinkSnow

While I am happy with my skiing and snowboarding abilities, I am finding that aging is getting in the way of my enjoyment of them these days. I've been having issues with bone spurs in both of my ankles, which leads to severe pain after about 2-3 hours of skiing or riding. I am seriously considering having them surgically removed, but am a bit hesitant to do so. I had ACL reconstruction surgery in my right knee back in 2001, and while it was successfully done, that knee now tires first, and seems to be developing arthritis. So I am wondering if anyone on here has had bone spurs removed, and what was the outcome?

Hawk

i think our paths have crossed....think think think...I know an obnoxious Jersey Killington skier lol. Thanks for putting Gnarnia in the map lol - been a fun addition to SR.
Actually I was wrong. I meant Poppy fields. Narnia is under the spruce lift and was always somewhat skiable. Poppy fields was the area we called Garden Grove.

bdfreetuna

Anyone else playing some Sublime now with all this Garden Grove talk?

Music from Jamaica, all the love that I found
Pull over there's a reason why my soul's unsound

Jcb890

Anyone else playing some Sublime now with all this Garden Grove talk?

Music from Jamaica, all the love that I found
Pull over there's a reason why my soul's unsound

Smells like Lou-dog inside the van, oh yea.
Last time I was out riding by myself I listened to both the Sublime (self-titled) and 40oz To Freedom albums. Good tunes to ride to.

Jcb890

All heavy metal...when disturbed comes on..i start to accelerate..way too much...
I had a pretty good assortment going, I remember listening to the following that day:

Rage Against the Machine
Tool
Deftones
Sublime

I can get into heavy, but not a fan of Disturbed... or most newer heavy metal really.

This reminds me, I need to download more music at some point. And my next helmet will absolutely have some type of audio built in. Using actual earbuds while riding all day sucked... it was a pain to be fixing them, adjusting, etc. and then the audio controls are inside of the jacket too, what a pain in the ass.

Smellytele

I had a pretty good assortment going, I remember listening to the following that day:

Rage Against the Machine
Tool
Deftones
Sublime

I can get into heavy, but not a fan of Disturbed... or most newer heavy metal really.

This reminds me, I need to download more music at some point. And my next helmet will absolutely have some type of audio built in. Using actual earbuds while riding all day sucked... it was a pain to be fixing them, adjusting, etc. and then the audio controls are inside of the jacket too, what a pain in the ass.

I have actual ear buds but they are in my helmet and not my ears. That way I can actually hear what is going on around me as well.

Jcb890

I have actual ear buds but they are in my helmet and not my ears. That way I can actually hear what is going on around me as well.
I think some of them have audio buttons (volume up/down, play, pause) easily able to be pressed either in the earpiece or another part of the helmet. That seems like it would work perfect, hit pause when getting on the lift, hit play after strapping in.

kingslug

ODT chips..you push them to turn on off adjust volume pause..have to make ear pads though..i ripped out the foam and just put them in...
First year listening to tunes on the hill..cant believe i waited so long

Last edited:

cdskier

Who needs to listen to music when you ski when you can listen to the voices in your head instead? :grin:

Jcb890

ODT chips..you push them to turn on off adjust volume pause..have to make ear pads though..i ripped out the foam and just put them in...
Furst yesr listening to tunes on the hill..cant believe i waited so long
Same, but I still only do it when riding alone. If I had a better way to play/pause, maybe I'd use it more though.

BenedictGomez

Who needs to listen to music when you ski when you can listen to the voices in your head instead? :grin:

The last thing I want to do while skiing, is listen to music. A big part of skiing to me is getting away from electronic technology and being in a natural setting. I tried it some years ago, but I didnt like how the "artificial" sound distracted from nature.

Jcb890

The last thing I want to do while skiing, is listen to music. A big part of skiing to me is getting away from electronic technology and being in a natural setting. I tried it some years ago, but I didnt like how the "artificial" sound distracted from nature.
I can see that POV entirely. If I was in the woods, say with a riding-mate or solo, I think I'd also prefer to enjoy the quiet and the solitude.
If I'm just cruising some groomers and riding the chair lift, having music is nice.