• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are you at..where you want to be

cdskier

The last thing I want to do while skiing, is listen to music. A big part of skiing to me is getting away from electronic technology and being in a natural setting. I tried it some years ago, but I didnt like how the "artificial" sound distracted from nature.

Never tried it and really have no desire to. I agree that I like just being outside immersed in nature. My favorite sound skiing is the sound of silence on a powder day as you're skiing (with the occasional shouts of joy mixed in of course).

Jcb890

Never tried it and really have no desire to. I agree that I like just being outside immersed in nature. My favorite sound skiing is the sound of silence on a powder day as you're skiing (with the occasional shouts of joy mixed in of course).
Sadly, we are more often serenaded with the brutal scrape of those edges hitting hard-pack/ice.

Hawk

I only do it occasionally when I am alone. Sometimes it is fun to cruise to a good tune. I think if you are really a music person then it has more merit.

kingslug

My house is filled with stereos..Desk at work very good system..Pretty much always listening to something
.but yes..silence while skiing is cool..Did that at MRG..felt wrong to play tunes there..

BenedictGomez

My favorite sound skiing is the sound of silence on a powder day as you're skiing (with the occasional shouts of joy mixed in of course).

My favorite sound skiing is the sound of snowflakes hitting structure when you're skiing in the woods.

JimG.

Staff member
The last thing I want to do while skiing, is listen to music. A big part of skiing to me is getting away from electronic technology and being in a natural setting. I tried it some years ago, but I didnt like how the "artificial" sound distracted from nature.

Music on lift rides is nice. Sure sometimes I converse with lift mates but often people don't talk or babble and then I prefer to hear music.

Scruffy

+1 Couldn't agree more. I'm a quiet person and love nature so I like to chill in the mountains and get away from it all. I love spring skiing because you can often hear the birds as they are returning to the woods. I can listen to music any old time, but I can't always listen to nature; it's a pleasure I treasure. In summer months I'll take my 20 lb canoe and go way back into the Adirondaks back country and paddle and fish; no sounds of man unless a plane flys over-just loons, it revives the soul.

kingslug

Today i worked on moguls..I changed skis..went from my 105 Wagners to Sultan 85s which sat in my basement for the last 7 years. Had touring bindings put on and discovered how different an old school mid fat with metal inside can be on the scrapy stuff. Rocket ship..way more control..i forgot what these things where like. Fun in the bumps too..much stiffer but held on the firm ones this morning. On the steep icey runs they just rip. Did some easy glades and they where more managable in there as well. Another month and a half to play around and spring is a great time to hit the bumps.

SkiFanE

I determined to learn to ski bumps and deeps, and just do better all around this year. I have greatly improved and can do bumps with some authority and deeps as well as trees. But I am not yet accomplished. Much more to learn, and it is mostly a case of putting everything I have learned these past two years together all the time. Sometimes I can get it all together, sometimes I don't for a variety of reasons. Everyday, I work, first thing, about an hour, on putting everything together in my form and style. When I do, I can ski about anything I want to. Then I go out and ski after putting it all together, and I seem to forget so much..... But I end the day with a smile, every time!

I figure if I keep working at it, and having more than 18 days on mountain every year now, I'm gonna get better and love it even more!
You got it - days on hill leads to muscle memory. And around NE - variety. Spacing, size, condition. To do bumps well you have to have your core set, back straight and arms firmly in front. As long as you are set up correctly - you can bump. When something is out of whack - you know it. When my thighs burn too easily - it means I'm slouching and not using my core and abs. Fix that and you're back again. If my feet start to ache - same thing - I'm not setup properly. Some people complain - my legs got tired, I quit. No....you weren't doing it right if your thighs tired out. My thighs get more tired on groomers carving than bumping. So if you need to do strength workouts - concentrate on back, core and abs. I think the strength of ones core for skiing is "forgotten" for focus on legs.

Anyway - keep at it every day - wherever you see a mogul lol.

SkiFanE

Today i worked on moguls..I changed skis..went from my 105 Wagners to Sultan 85s which sat in my basement for the last 7 years. Had touring bindings put on and discovered how different an old school mid fat with metal inside can be on the scrapy stuff. Rocket ship..way more control..i forgot what these things where like. Fun in the bumps too..much stiffer but held on the firm ones this morning. On the steep icey runs they just rip. Did some easy glades and they where more managable in there as well. Another month and a half to play around and spring is a great time to hit the bumps.
My normals bump ski is a SL. But mine got ruined so have new 90 planks. So much harder than SLs. Can't imagine a 105 - like bumping with a 2x6 lol. Keeping eye out for cheap SLs this spring. Nice to have my mid fats but I really miss my SL in bumps.

urungus

Still have a long way to go... My goals for the rest of this year and next season are

1) start linking more turns on steep moguled runs, currently I am laboriously picking my way down and holding up the hotshots.

2) figure out how to ski in the deep powder, currently I sink into the stuff and grind to a halt, possibly doing the “over the handlebars” wipeout. My general purpose all mountain skis are 135/104/131 ... is 104 not wide enough for deep powder for a hefty guy?

Jcb890

I have noticed that if I ride sloppy and don't carve with proper technique that I am sitting back too far and causing pain in my front (left) knee. So, I spent a good amount of time yesterday focusing on that and trying to work on that.

The top section of Boom Run until just past the Upper Twitcher cut-off was great for that. Same with Bear Claw.

I have also noticed that I am slower getting into and initiating my toe-side turn with the correct technique... so on steeper or more narrow terrain, I revert back to a sloppy technique.

kingslug

104 is plenty for deep snow..117 is better. But you can ski deep pow with 68's if you know how. The problem with deep snow here in the East is we do not get enough of it to practice on..then when you go out west and it hits all week..you have some probs. trying to ski pow like hardpack is a common mistake. Trying to do a hockey stop or turn like a hardpack turn just dumps you over. Ski it like a water skier would. Nice round turn, feet closer together. Until you can pick up speed and get on top of it , it will be harder...but the speed will come later. And as dumb as it may sound..watch some movies. I studied TGR movies a lot and tried to copy some of what they did. It works. Too bad we don't get Pow much here to play around in.

Smellytele

My normals bump ski is a SL. But mine got ruined so have new 90 planks. So much harder than SLs. Can't imagine a 105 - like bumping with a 2x6 lol. Keeping eye out for cheap SLs this spring. Nice to have my mid fats but I really miss my SL in bumps.

I skied bumps (and woods) all day today at wildcat on my 110's. On tele's I guess it is different then alpine skis.

Wicked1

Will start next season with my legs in better condition.
I'd like to be able to ski more than a couple hours of laps before the legs turn to rubber.
At 65 I ski about as fast as I dare.
Enjoy speed, bumps and powder...all at once when possible.
Conditioning is key for improvement.

SkiFanE

I skied bumps (and woods) all day today at wildcat on my 110's. On tele's I guess it is different then alpine skis.
I can ski the bumps fine in my 80s (or maybe it's 90, I forget this stuff). But it's 10x funner in my nimble little rockets. Probably like trying to race SL in a Porsche vs. Corvette. Hubby skis some fat skis in bumps - looks like hard work. After this weekend with my midfatss I missed my SL for sure. Considered keeping just one set but I need SL again. I'll be in a good spot - SL skis not much fun in powder deeper than 6", so really needed 2 pairs.

SkiFanE

LOL!!! I did some today. I tend to do some every day. Risky business, Northern Lights and Tin Woodsman. TW was a little more than I hoped for. Some of it was my "level" much of it pushed me! I didn't die or get out of control. Enjoyed it and know next tie will be better!

I was talking with a buddy who reminded me that folks used to ski deep powder on skinny little skis. It's technique, though the fat skis certainly help. A friend calls them cheaters!!!

Anyways, I can now have fun in such stuff, but my buddies are still waiting on me at times. I'll fix that!

Southpaw was fun too - last bump run of the weekend and it emptied my tank lol.

I've been skiing since 1970. I crushed the bumps in my 185s. Hubby had 200+ - that was the norm lol. Honestly - it was no harder than now. Bumps must have been spaced for it and those sticks were pretty flexible - not as stiff as today's I don't think. Look at 1980s vids and see how squirrelly they were lol. I still have my last pair of sticks... I would take them out some day if I felt the bindings would hold. When is 80s day?! (Oh I now see you were talking pow on skinny skis - I had little deep pow experience in those - but people managed!)