• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are you at..where you want to be

Jcb890

for sure, being a "grown up" (and i use that term to describe myself very very loosely) i now have the ability and opportunity for 50 day seasons. this is going to be my first actual 50 day season. last year was 47, which is my current record. the prior year, about 40.

as a child, i would ski 10 days a year with my family (3 day mount snow MLK trip, 5 day killington presidents week trip, 2 windham/hunter day trips - if we were lucky the killington trip would be to vail or park city)

in college, i loved to ski but didnt go to a school that was conducive to it (GWU in d.c.). but still, between day trips to snowshoe, big trips with college friends, and occasional family skiing on breaks, about 20 days a season

during law school, a group of college friends moved to jackson hole and had a couch for me to use whenever i wanted. that is when i really got the bug. but i was still really poor and broke. about 25-30 days a season, with many of them at jackson. that's when skiing became important to me

working life (past 7 years), never a season with less than 35 days. and now 50 looks like it is becoming the norm.

i say quite often how i'd like to leave NYC, and i really would like to move west or upstate/hudson valley, and its the need to pay my law school debt and the nyc job market which really keep me here. however, if i can make 50 day seasons the norm, living here isn't all that awful.
Yeah, my "normal" seasons back then were a 3-day weekend to Killington. Maybe 1 more day at Wachusett, but that's about it. Not much progression happening with that little riding.

I'm shooting for 35+ days this season personally. If 35 becomes the "norm", I would be happy with that. But, its tough being mostly a weekend-only rider. However, I have still been trying to look for work out West. If I stay here, live and work here, I figure eventually we'll be able to save up money and move... but who knows how long that would take (too long).

mister moose

Very few of us are so technically capable that there isn't learning potential left. What changes is range of motion, reaction time and joint issues.

I think conditioning has a lot to do with it. Staying active over decades has a lot to do with it. Not pounding your body has a lot to do with it. And of course ski days matters. Directed ski days matter more. 20 days clears the cobwebs. 50 days isn't a lot. 200 days is a lot.

I still ski moguls early and often, but I don't pound them.

mister moose

^ can you define "directed ski days" ?
Where you are consciously working on trying to improve, preferably with some coaching by a knowledgeable outside observer. It might be a very little thing, such as timing of an edge change, or simultaneity of the edge change, degree of extension, line choice or pressure management, pre-positioning your stance, dozens of things. It might be new conditions or terrain. All those little things add up, and often don't bubble up to full discovery until some practice time has passed.

As opposed to undirected "I'm just here for the fun of it" days. Which are good, I was like that all last week.

hammer

Started skiing when I was in my mid to late 30s and I'm 53 now. Unfortunately I have yet to get out frequently enough to get beyond the intermediate level. Usually do OK on most groomers but I struggle in bumps and glades (to put it mildly).

One advantage is that I've never had the skills to do things that would have beat my body up, so I've been spared skiing-related injuries. Injuries due to non-skiing activities is another thing though.

BenedictGomez

i say quite often how i'd like to leave NYC, and i really would like to move west or upstate/hudson valley, and its the need to pay my law school debt and the nyc job market which really keep me here. however, if i can make 50 day seasons the norm, living here isn't all that awful.

You think you can still pull that off when married/kids/career advancement without moving nearer the ski hills? Doesn't seem likely.

That all ended about 5 to 8 years ago with the development on knee pain. It's going to happen to all you young ones on here and it's actually kind of traumatic. Your mind say you can do it but your body can't.

I found out before last season started that I have meniscus tearing in my left knee. Dont now if it was the skiing, the hockey, the martial arts, or just genetics. It's not bad per se, it just feels a little odd. It only hurts when I get in a catcher's stance. I dont really notice it much, but after 2 days of skiing, it feels odd. Not "pain", just odd, like I want to massage my knee. I'm hoping it doesnt get worse, because it doesn't impede me right now. :(

SkiFanE

Not yet. I'll be 53 soon. I keep zippering faster and in deeper bumps. Ive never been a huge fan of steeps - so never cared to push. As long as its woods tho I feel safer. I've started getting more air every year and hoping to get some type of "jump". In private I can get a little spread eagle - but would love a daffy or something. Still injury free 47+- so years of skiing - knock on wood. I really keep getting better and better. Zipped by some guy in Gnarnia (SR) last week - when I stoped at lift he came up to me and complimented me and told me "you were awesome" and enjoyed watching me. Not many middle aged broads get that :). Don't see myself slowing down but neither am I after more risk.

Like some have said - stretching every day (core and back need it) - and for me serious hydration 24h before ski day are key. And 50 ski days a year won't hurt if you can swing it.

Pez

Did you play football or something like that?

No, i;m just injury prone. Shoulder was from a couple different dislocations, the last one being a mountain bike crash.

did the knee skiing of course.

Hawk

You think you can still pull that off when married/kids/career advancement without moving nearer the ski hills? Doesn't seem likely.

I found out before last season started that I have meniscus tearing in my left knee. Dont now if it was the skiing, the hockey, the martial arts, or just genetics. It's not bad per se, it just feels a little odd. It only hurts when I get in a catcher's stance. I dont really notice it much, but after 2 days of skiing, it feels odd. Not "pain", just odd, like I want to massage my knee. I'm hoping it doesnt get worse, because it doesn't impede me right now. :(
The good news is that I was exactly like you for about 10 years. That deep bend thing felt tight and kneeling was uncomfortable at times. I worked through that until I had a good tear in my meniscus about a year ago and had surgery to clean it out. I have not been the same since. Be kind to it and listen to it and you can be goo for years. I did chondroitin / glucosamine pills and it seemed to help.

Hawk

Zipped by some guy in Gnarnia (SR) last week - when I stoped at lift he came up to me and complimented me and told me "you were awesome" and enjoyed watching me. Not many middle aged broads get that :). .
If you have been skiing there that long then you and I must know each other. I was part of the Barkah Crew on the second floor for more than 17 years. Still go there a few times each year. Gnarnia was actually created by us originally and call Garden Grove until Boyne went in and cleaned it out. If you are ripping through there then you must be one kickass girl. ;-)

kingslug

I imagine at some point I should slow down in the bumps..its fun though but i do it the lazy way..schmear them..don't hammer every one of them. Its how you can get down almost 2 miles of them without stopping much. My lower back feels it though. Bob said the best thing you can do its to slow down and edge less. That was his advice about steep trees and how to practice them without eating wood. Think I'll work on that the rest of the season. I want to spend more time at MRG.

mister moose

If you ski every weekend at Killington's 7 month season that's 60 days. Add 2 weeks vacation, that's 70 days. Add a few Fridays, that's 75 days.

Currently at 67 days.

BenedictGomez

The good news is that I was exactly like you for about 10 years. That deep bend thing felt tight and kneeling was uncomfortable at times. I worked through that until I had a good tear in my meniscus about a year ago and had surgery to clean it out. I have not been the same since. Be kind to it and listen to it and you can be goo for years.

I hope so. The Ortho surgeon told me mine wasnt bad enough for surgery since it's not preventing me from doing anything I want at the moment.

KustyTheKlown

You would like a relocation to the Mid-Hudson Valley say to Dutchess or Ulster county. I'm assuming you prefer living in NYC to commuting every day.

Can't fault you there, commuting from here to the city is a PITA.

furthest i could see commuting from nyc would be tarrytown-ish, and that still sounds awful, and awfully pricey.

could theoretically work in white plains and commute from hudson valley, if the right job were to present itself

legalskier

Have you reached a point in your ability that you feel you cant go past?
My trip to MRG got me thinking about this. Ive done some seriouse, to me at least,lines that had seriouse fall consequences. Now that im a regular to N VT..im wondering how much farther i can go.

After well over five decades I felt I'd plateaued with my skills (though my confidence continues to grow in challenging terrain) so I took a lesson recently. I went in expecting only a fine tuning, but the instructor opened my eyes to things that made me rethink how I ski. It was refreshing & I'm looking forward to getting on the snow again to keep working on it, hopefully moving past that plateau. It's snowing like an SOB now here- maybe tomorrow?

furthest i could see commuting from nyc would be tarrytown-ish, and that still sounds awful, and awfully pricey.

could theoretically work in white plains and commute from hudson valley, if the right job were to present itself

A friend lives in Beacon- he says it's on the upswing and is on the end (beginning) of the train line, with some express trains to the city.

JimG.

Staff member

I moved from Westchester, just too expensive to live there. But there are plenty of law firms in White Plains or even in Dutchess county for that matter.

I made the commute from Dutchess to Westchester everyday for over 20 years. Driving on 684 or the Taconic with the 75 MPH and faster parking lot crew was nothing to get excited about either. I hate driving alongside people who are too bored to pay attention driving and have to multitask by reading the news or applying makeup.

kingslug

Or stamford where i live..then the n vt mts are only 5 hours away..and its pretty nice up here..except for the bat shit hide in the woods crazy drivers..they are truly frightening