• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are you at..where you want to be

Killingtime

Healthy amounts of yoga and strength conditioning starting last spring really helped me out this winter. Had the best winter of my life. Probably 40+ days so far this season. I want to be able to do this forever.

Edd

My bump skiing is weak, but I still ski them. I turn 48 this month, but I’m still fit enough to improve that part of my skiing. I’m looking forward to spring, during which the bumps are the most fun for me.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

My bump skiing is weak, but I still ski them. I turn 48 this month, but I’m still fit enough to improve that part of my skiing. I’m looking forward to spring, during which the bumps are the most fun for me.

How active is your upper body when you ski bumps?

I was... OK at moguls... this year I've really started to work the upper body, like aggressive pole plant/points and basically keeping the upper torso as steady as possible at all costs, probably even looks funny to watch, but idk, I always try to run a zipper line if the bumps are nice, this year I've actually had pretty good success.

But if I slack off on the body movement or think I'm just gonna take it easy -- nope

Looking forward to corn snow moguls too

Edd

That’s probably my biggest weakness, actually. I don’t focus on that enough. Good thought.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

cdskier

I could definitely improve my moguls (especially steep moguls) and tree skiing.

I'll second this.

problem is that mistakes in the woods can be fatal..no room in there..but thats where its at up north.guess ill just slowly work my way in there..its the acceleration that i cant control enough..the good tree skiers just run through there...scares the hell out of me to hit a tree.

Yea...I definitely go slow in the woods and steeper pitched woods I'm always worried about accelerating too much and missing a turn. I'm still amazed at people that can fly through the woods.

kingslug

Recovery..thats the issue now. I ski 8 hours on saturday 6 on sundays..moguls..not a fan of the groomed..like the bumps asnd the vegetable and mineral runs..ergo..i beat the shit out of myself for 2 days straight..600 miles round trip..up at 4am for the 2 hour commute..10 to 11 hour day..friday night..do it again. I used to ski hunter 1 day a week..go to K sometimes..3 trips out west..much easier..now a regular up north. I cant even get to the gym im so shot. But then again 14 hours of skiing equates to about 6 to 7 hours of actual ski time, i dont take many breaks..so im working out more than most people in 2 days than thy do in a week..but its punishing...have to see how long this can go on...im am rather motivated though.....

bdfreetuna

I'm still amazed at people that can fly through the woods.

Reminds me of these 3 "kids" at MRG a couple weeks ago. Straight-lining the entire mountain. But from what I could tell they were only there to crush pow for the first 2 hours.

That's not an option for most of us: We value our safety; we aren't trying to out-do our extreme ski buddies at all times; and for the most part we don't have the skills or strength, perhaps not the bravery to even attempt that kind of skiing.

Another sport I like is mixed martial arts. There's a lot to be said in terms of longevity in a sport with being adaptable, perhaps even a jack of all styles/conditions, and as able to enjoy -- in a different way -- a crappy day of ice and rocks or limited terrain.

The World's Most Complete Skier (TM) will win neither a mogul competition or a downhill race. It's all about maximizing your enjoyment and pushing up against all your natural limitations.

Jcb890

Not even close!

I'm always pushing myself to do better. At this point, I think I need a lesson to get rid of some of my bad habits. Oh, and I need to get back to working out again... definitely noticing some decline in endurance having not worked out at all other than for riding since early/mid January.

Smellytele

When I said i have gone as far as i probably will at 50. I didn't say i was slowing down but as warren miller said if you ski better in your 40's than you did in your 20's you were never very good anyway.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I'm 59, I started skiing at 40. My friends are all telling me I've got a lot better this year. They are giving me a lot of credit. But honestly, I think the difference is a pair of custom skis I bought. The designer/builder really listened to me and I think the dimensions and profile are perfect for me.

Scruffy

But there literally is an average, which I'm sure people who handle demographics for the ski industry are keenly aware of. That's what I'm curious about.

Were I to spitball, I'd put it at early to mid 60s? I think skiers in general skew older, but there's certainly an age above which I dont see too many people in the lift lines with me regardless of where I'm skiing. I think that age is something like 60. Keep in mind, most people generally arent going to "know" when they can no longer ski, it will probably just "happen" that they sadly come to realize they cant anymore.

Yes of course, there is literally an average for everything, and that's why I immediately corrected my post to add "meaningful", but you got the unedited version :smile:

I'm just saying in order to have meaning, I'd want to drill down to more than just "age out"; I'd want to know why?

Too weak with age?
Injury?
Fear of Injury?
Wife/husband got sick, and can't leave them?
Lost license, can't get to slopes?
Ski buddy died?
etc..
There's probably a ton of reasons someone ages out of skiing.

Last edited:

Scruffy

I'm 59, I started skiing at 40. My friends are all telling me I've got a lot better this year. They are giving me a lot of credit. But honestly, I think the difference is a pair of custom skis I bought. The designer/builder really listened to me and I think the dimensions and profile are perfect for me.

Started at 40, way to go Harvey! I was exclusively a XC skier, but started Alpine downhill at 36.

kingslug

Which ones did you get..I got wagners..checked all the boxes..designed them..and sold a car to buy them..and an engagement ring..lol..they are awesome but not so much on the ice..105,s..a bit wide..
Think ill mount up an old pair of sultan 85s for the icy stuff..
Really liked the lesson i took a t mrg with obi bob kenobi..showed me tbe real little things that make a difference in the super steep bumps which will translate to the trees..my style of flying top speed down mogul runs is not the way to go in trees...

cdskier

Really liked the lesson i took a t mrg with obi bob kenobi..showed me tbe real little things that make a difference in the super steep bumps which will translate to the trees..my style of flying top speed down mogul runs is not the way to go in trees...

I know we were discussing the high price of lessons in another thread and your post got me thinking a bit. A private 2 hour lesson at Sugarbush would cost me more than a 2 hour private lesson PLUS a lift ticket at MRG. That may be something interesting for me to consider in the future...

KustyTheKlown

32 and doing the best skiing of my life. pushing into way more risque terrain than in my 20s. always room to get better.

bluebird

But there literally is an average, which I'm sure people who handle demographics for the ski industry are keenly aware of. That's what I'm curious about.

Were I to spitball, I'd put it at early to mid 60s? I think skiers in general skew older, but there's certainly an age above which I dont see too many people in the lift lines with me regardless of where I'm skiing. I think that age is something like 60.

You need to get out weekdays, the average age definitely skews higher. If one is retired there is no need to deal with weekend crowds and lift lines.