• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Mtn 3-22-18

legalskier

Yesterday's storm cut a swath across eastern Pa.- last night Blue's cams showed that they were getting pounded (they stayed open). Their site this morning said they picked up 10" so I couldn't pass up a chance to follow the snow. Arrived at Summit Lodge about 11 am with temp at 36F. To my surprise they left most trails ungroomed so the crud was plentiful though not deep. The snow conditions were the best I've seen there in several years. I decided to maximize vertical by avoiding the slow double chair and staying with the HSQ and HS6, which did have lines but nothing more than a few minutes. Here's something you don't see very often at Blue- tracks under the lifts:
FullSizeRender(60).jpg
Up top, things were very windy. Here's what it looked like as I got off the HS6 facing Challenge:
FullSizeRender(61).jpg
It was so windy that when I pointed my boards straight down Challenge or Razor's Edge, it checked my speed as if I was in a wind tunnel. Bumps could be found on Main Street:
FullSizeRender(65).jpg
...and the Chute:
FullSizeRender(64).jpg
...and Nightmare, all of which were in the best shape I've seen in memory.
Around 2 the snow on the run-outs got extremely sticky- it slowed me down more than the wind had up top- but as the temp dropped later, things improved and the wind died down.
Blue has moved the terrain features from upper Sidewinder down to the lower mountain just below Crossover and given the boarders a dedicated area, a move that pleased anyone who remembered what a nice trail upper Sidewinder had been before it grew several massive whales. They're still massive, but now they're down below:
FullSizeRender(63).jpg
^ In the background behind these whales you can see an adjacent terrain park with rails, etc.
The base is so deep that Blue will have no problem making it into early April if they want. All in all, a top 10 day.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Thanks for the TR, I've never skied blue, but I kept watching their webcams last night too. I did consider blowing off work to ski there figuring it may be the last chance of the season to ski freshies.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

Nice! Thanks for the bump report. I have my fingers crossed that this is the weekend they seed Razor's top to bottom.

legalskier

Thanks for the TR, I've never skied blue, but I kept watching their webcams last night too. I did consider blowing off work to ski there figuring it may be the last chance of the season to ski freshies.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

They stayed open during the storm so there wasn't any fresh by the time I arrived but there was a lot of cut up crud/small bumps I enjoyed playing around with. I drive the 15 mins extra to get to Blue than Mountaincreek because I find it keeps my interest.

Nice! Thanks for the bump report. I have my fingers crossed that this is the weekend they seed Razor's top to bottom.

Yes, it's getting to be that time of year again. *fingers crossed*

Looking up Main Street:
FullSizeRender(4).jpg
Sidewinder:
FullSizeRender(3).jpg

Last edited: