• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak 2/20/07

Edd

We didn't go Monday because high winds were predicted and Tuesday looked great, with low winds, highs in the mid-20's with scattered snow showers. We're from the seacoast NH area so Jay is a treat and, with the recent snow, were planning on an epic day.

Some highlights:

Freezing rain at the top of the Flyer with foggy, cloudy conditions. Your goggles got covered with a frozen layer in no time. Visibility flat out sucked, so we made a beeline for the east side, with slightly better weather. We ended up bouncing around all day.

Derrick Hot Shot was nice with soft bumps all the way down.

Beaver Pond Glade was drenched in snow, the upper part wigs me out because the trees are so tight but it thins and shallows out and I got more comfortable.

JFK kicked ass, with soft snow you could tear into at high speeds. Same goes for Green Mountain Boys.

My light speed run down Exhibition got interrupted by a lady having an epic yard sale. She left her gear 60 ft behind. I helped her friend gather things.

The Flyer was stop and go all day. The winds seemed stronger than forecast so maybe that was why but it was never clear.

Everglade was great. Soft snow with nicely spaced out trees. You could fly through that.

Powerline is sort of split into 3 sections. The top was severely windblown and bare so we didn't touch it. The lowest section was really good with natural bumps that I felt good cruising through. The middle section was nice but it's steeper and I skied lousy. At one point I buried one ski deep into a bump, the binding let go (thank God) and I faceplanted onto another soft bump. I clicked back in, kept skiing, and wiped out again 40 ft later. That told me I was done with the bumps.

The Expo Glade just kills me. It did last time I was here. My confidence was eroding by the minute. Visibility at the top of the flyer got worse and worse. The light was flat all day.

Despite Jay's tons of snow, there is exposed rock all over the mountain, without warning poles. My skis are scarred. This is culture shock for this pampered ASC passholder.

Interesting sidenote: I have a cold with a stuffy head, and every time the Tram or Flyer neared the top, some form of pressure differential caused genuine dizziness and I needed a minute to collect myself. That was a new experience.

This is not a negative review. Go ski Jay. I had some great runs today but I wasn't fully prepared for the conditions. Pick your day carefully.

eatskisleep

Despite Jay's tons of snow, there is exposed rock all over the mountain, without warning poles. My skis are scarred. This is culture shock for this pampered ASC passholder.

The deeper the snow is, the more rocks I hit. :lol: Knee deep powder to me typically means I put a few good sized gouges in the bottom of my skis.