• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eastern Closing Thread 2018

drjeff

Hoping this pushes Mount Snow to keep going another week past April 15th.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

Short of a massive change in the weather pattern to many days in a row of complete blow torch, they easily have the snow to pull that off.... Just gotta see how many people show up the next few weeks to keep them spinning the lifts....

Glenn

I've heard this upcoming weekend is the last for Stratton...but can't find anything official announcing such.

Pez

Ski Butternut's last day was yesterday the 1st. Bummed I missed it, was up in Stowe for the weekend.

Pez

RE stratton

I just saw a "end of season lodging deals" event on their web page for this coming weekend

KustyTheKlown

I've heard this upcoming weekend is the last for Stratton...but can't find anything official announcing such.

liftie at gondola confirmed next sunday is it for Stratton.

there is still a lot of snow on the hill...

Glenn

liftie at gondola confirmed next sunday is it for Stratton.

there is still a lot of snow on the hill...

We've seen a few winters where they've closed with quite a bit of snow on the hill. It's a bit disappointing.

Jcb890

I have heard Stratton is state-mandated closing as opposed to other mountains who can dictate their own.

Not sure if that's true about Stratton or not though.

trackbiker

I have heard Stratton is state-mandated closing as opposed to other mountains who can dictate their own.

I asked several years ago on their last day with great conditions why they were closing. I was told that the foreign seasonal help had leases running out and already had their tickets to return to their home countries scheduled when they arrived.

skimagic

Stratton is on private property, not state or federal land, so purely a business decision, like all of the others that are closing this week end or have already closed.

Jcb890

Stratton is on private property, not state or federal land, so purely a business decision, like all of the others that are closing this week end or have already closed.
Thanks, I'll have to let my buddy know who gave me the bad info.
Stratton should be pushing it at least another week if that's the case, but I cannot say I'm surprised.

drjeff

The other factor to consider is who is showing up late season? Passholders or ticket buyers? If a mountain is selling a bunch of tickets, then they're atleast bringing in some revenue late season. Most late season crowds tend to be passholder heavy, so the daily yield the mountain is taking in is down. The economics of the ski business will dictate that at some point, for the majority of ski areas out there, they'll shut the doors for the season rather than add on a few likely profit loss days at the end. If you've got an area like Stratton, where within roughly a 30 minute driving distance they'll be at least 2, if not 3 other ski areas spinning lifts this weekend, then that already small pool of potential ticket buyers is further dwindled.

Mount Snow, with the parks at Carinthia in particular, has a late season advantage over most other areas in the region for drawing that smaller pool of potential ticket buyers. The park crew in general will show up more than the non park crew in fringe season and/or fringe conditions. Stratton, while they certainly have a solid park scene, just doesn't have the reputation that Mount Snow does, and chooses as of now, not to try and really up their park game, which would likely draw more fringe season ticket buyers....

Smellytele

The other factor to consider is who is showing up late season? Passholders or ticket buyers? If a mountain is selling a bunch of tickets, then they're atleast bringing in some revenue late season. Most late season crowds tend to be passholder heavy, so the daily yield the mountain is taking in is down. The economics of the ski business will dictate that at some point, for the majority of ski areas out there, they'll shut the doors for the season rather than add on a few likely profit loss days at the end. If you've got an area like Stratton, where within roughly a 30 minute driving distance they'll be at least 2, if not 3 other ski areas spinning lifts this weekend, then that already small pool of potential ticket buyers is further dwindled.

Mount Snow, with the parks at Carinthia in particular, has a late season advantage over most other areas in the region for drawing that smaller pool of potential ticket buyers. The park crew in general will show up more than the non park crew in fringe season and/or fringe conditions. Stratton, while they certainly have a solid park scene, just doesn't have the reputation that Mount Snow does, and chooses as of now, not to try and really up their park game, which would likely draw more fringe season ticket buyers....

I could be wrong but the majority of the clientele of Stratton also doesn't seem like a die hard bunch to me.

drjeff

I could be wrong but the majority of the clientele of Stratton also doesn't seem like a die hard bunch to me.

Short of some folks associated with the Stratton Mountain School and/or the Stratton Wintersports Club, I fully agree with you S.T.!!

skimagic

Thanks, I'll have to let my buddy know who gave me the bad info.
Stratton should be pushing it at least another week if that's the case, but I cannot say I'm surprised.

I agree they should go another week since I'm a passholder but traditionally they close the weekend. I was also shocked Windham shut down April 1, thier traditional closing day.

Looks like I'm jumping onto a peaks pass, I'm just a little wary of the long range forecast, looks wet.

Dumb info , okemo and Bromley are partially on stare land, okemo going to the 22nd and Bromley is done this weekend

Glenn

Stratton, while they certainly have a solid park scene, just doesn't have the reputation that Mount Snow does, and chooses as of now, not to try and really up their park game, which would likely draw more fringe season ticket buyers....

Coming from however many seasons we were at Snow, the park scene at Stratton is hardly noticeable. I'd say there are pluses and minuses to that. :lol:

GregoryIsaacs

With what looks like yet another southern vt favored storm it will be very interesting to see how the festival crowd mixes with some late season day trippers at Snow. I wonder how well known minus-zero is to the typical northeast skier who may be looking for some last season pow turns..... That being said, cant wait to be a fly on that wall!