• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eastern Closing Thread 2018

Glenn

I wonder how well known minus-zero is to the typical northeast skier.....

No clue when we rolled into Stratton last year. I had seen it online. "Oh, it's that electronic stuff...this should be interesting." It was...even during the daylight hours. Most of the hullabaloo was confined to the base area/village. Skiing was pretty normal from what I remember. Aside from the occasional costume on the hill. The music was a bit loud in the base area. Yeah, I sound old.

WoodCore

Stratton just extended the season another weekend. Closed Monday through Thursday 4/9-4/12 and reopening Friday through Sunday 4/13-4/15.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

No clue when we rolled into Stratton last year. I had seen it online. "Oh, it's that electronic stuff...this should be interesting." It was...even during the daylight hours. Most of the hullabaloo was confined to the base area/village. Skiing was pretty normal from what I remember. Aside from the occasional costume on the hill. The music was a bit loud in the base area. Yeah, I sound old.
But at least you still look like 12 tops!! [emoji12] [emoji12]

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

skimagic

Stratton just extended the season another weekend. Closed Monday through Thursday 4/9-4/12 and reopening Friday through Sunday 4/13-4/15.

Good news for skiers! And tickets will only be $25 next weekend. $99 right now.

Glenn

Very nice! That's a pleasant surprise.

jimmywilson69

The South Central PA Mountains Liberty, Roundtop, and Whitetail are now all closed Roundtop and Whitetail were closed on 3/25 and Liberty closed on 3/31.

They all could've likely opened again this weekend. However, the demand just isn't there...

catskillman

This is classic Hunter again,,,,,,,,,,

The daily email sent this morning stated that Hunter would be closing on the 15th.

THEN - I get an email from them at 11am, saying they are going to evaluate opening next weekend on this Sunday.

So I decided to call the mountain and see what they had to say.....

the recorded report states they will close on the 15th.

The human operator said the last she heard it was the 15th but they may close during the week. When I mentioned the 2 dates out there she just laughed.

So typical.... no communication or coordination among the associates....ever..

Time will tell............

They also keep pushing Pond Skimming for Saturday. The weather is calling for snow and a high of 33. There is no way they would have it in that weather, they have cancelled it several times due to weather understandably. Let's see what happens......

VTKilarney

From Burke:

Sunday, April 8th will be our last day of ski/ride operations for our lower mountain trails and running the base area lift, Sherburne Express. Ski/ride operations will close midweek next week, Monday, April 9th through Friday, April 13th and open to wrap up the 2017+18 winter season, Saturday, April 14th and Sunday, April 15th.

skiur

The daily email sent this morning stated that Hunter would be closing on the 15th.

THEN - I get an email from them at 11am, saying they are going to evaluate opening next weekend on this Sunday.

The human operator said the last she heard it was the 15th but they may close during the week. When I mentioned the 2 dates out there she just laughed.

So typical.... no communication or coordination among the associates....ever..

They also keep pushing Pond Skimming for Saturday. The weather is calling for snow and a high of 33. There is no way they would have it in that weather, they have cancelled it several times due to weather understandably. Let's see what happens......

A lot more people will make it across the pond if it is frozen solid!

Pez

Anyone know if the sunbowl lodge at stratton is going to be open this weekend?

skimagic

Today, hunter announced they will be open Monday, for $35, then evaluate operations from there.

Teleskier

Here is my latest compilation of ski areas.

Good list!

Looking at the Vermont dates, April 15 is not a crazy date for Stowe to close but is in the mix (was that discussion here or another thread?)

A recent email from EPIC happened to give their other dates:

Closing Days - Get In Your Last Turns of the Season!
How many more days can you rack up on the mountain? Get there before they close for the season!
Park City: April 8
Vail: April 15
Stowe: April 15
Heavenly: April 22
Breckenridge: April 22
Whistler Mountain: April 22
Blackcomb Mountain: May 21​

So that bolsters my view that Stowe closing on Apr-15 is not "a Vail thing", nor from the above dates does it seem that EPIC closes especially early as some sort of Vail-wide rule.

Again, based on this year's two trips I went on to Vail and Park City, to specifically to check out who bought us and what's in store for Stowe, I'm watching like a hawk for the first negative signs of change, but this closing date doesn't seem to be one of them.

Smellytele

Good list!

Looking at the Vermont dates, April 15 is not a crazy date for Stowe to close but is in the mix (was that discussion here or another thread?)

A recent email from EPIC happened to give their other dates:
Closing Days - Get In Your Last Turns of the Season!
How many more days can you rack up on the mountain? Get there before they close for the season!
Park City: April 8
Vail: April 15
Stowe: April 15
Heavenly: April 22
Breckenridge: April 22
Whistler Mountain: April 22
Blackcomb Mountain: May 21​

So that bolsters my view that Stowe closing on Apr-15 is not "a Vail thing", nor from the above dates does it seem that EPIC closes especially early as some sort of Vail-wide rule.

Again, based on this year's two trips I went on to Vail and Park City, to specifically to check out who bought us and what's in store for Stowe, I'm watching like a hawk for the first negative signs of change, but this closing date doesn't seem to be one of them.

To me it says it is a "Vail thing"

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stowe is closing about a week early. It's probably a Vail thing. I'm sure in their minds they can justify it because April 1st fell on a Sunday and they can technically say they made it to the third weekend in April.

Historically the average has been about April 20th regardless of snow depth. Even the epic 400+ inch 2000-2001 winter when ttb skiing was still had by hikers until the middle of May, they still closed early. Not reflected in this data set, but I lived there at the time and when they closed 3rd weekend in April the Mansfield side of the mountain was still 100% open.

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Vermont/stowe.php

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Stowe is closing about a week early. It's probably a Vail thing. I'm sure in their minds they can justify it because April 1st fell on a Sunday and they can technically say they made it to the third weekend in April.

Put me down on this side of the ledger as well.

April 22nd would be the closing date given all the snow up there, had Vail not been in charge, IMHO.

Maybe even April 29, IF the snowpack was really stellar. Vails closes early for $$$ = known fact.