• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eastern Closing Thread 2018

WinS

gfs is still showing a mixed shitshow for the entire weekend in vt...

Don't know if I believe this yet, but the Weather Channel has upgraded the snow over the next couple of days. Take a look at Sugarbush Valley on weather.com App. Today was creamy and really nice skiing and riding.

KustyTheKlown

I would love for you to be right win. I'm not believing it yet either. sticking to the catskills tomorrow to stay in the warm and below the ra*n. I still have a skiVT 5 pack to use at sugarbush, and 2 killington max pass days, so I'm not done with vt quite yet

slatham

Rely on the GFS and weather channel (really Win?) at your peril.....

Where the line b/w sleet and snow sets up, and how it moves, it's far from settled. From the pros at BTV

The resulting ptype will
be a transition from rain to mainly snow with some sleet mixing
in along the Canadian border southward to a line extending from
around Alexandria Bay eastward to St. Johnsbury. South of that
line where the warm nose is more prominent, rain will transition
to mainly a sleet and freezing rain mix. Through the day snow
accumulation north will be in the 1-4" range with ice.

Wintry mixed precipitation will
continue through Sunday as cold high pressure remains wedged
under warmer air aloft. Models continue to show a colder
solution with each run, with fairly good consensus in the
overall picture. However, there is still some model-to-model
discrepancies in the details, including how far south the cold
air pushes and how warm/deep the warm layer is aloft. These
seemingly minor differences have major implications on
precipitation types and amounts, making for a challenging
forecast.

cdskier

Don't know if I believe this yet, but the Weather Channel has upgraded the snow over the next couple of days. Take a look at Sugarbush Valley on weather.com App. Today was creamy and really nice skiing and riding.

Nws Burlington office seems more optimistic on more snow too in their latest forecast discussion. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Today was great spring skiing though. Whole mountain skied well

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

I would love for you to be right win. I'm not believing it yet either. sticking to the catskills tomorrow to stay in the warm and below the ra*n. I still have a skiVT 5 pack to use at sugarbush, and 2 killington max pass days, so I'm not done with vt quite yet

You may be sorry.......

abc

Nws Burlington office seems more optimistic on more snow too in their latest forecast discussion. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Today was great spring skiing though. Whole mountain skied well
Remember last weekend...

The Cats got a foot when a couple inches were the forecast. So good luck those of you who're in the position to take advantage of it.

Someone is going to get a foot of snow. And someone else will get 1/2 in of ice!

kingslug

I would have done that but felt that since we have a place here..gotta go. Expecting some accumulation tonight.
Now im drinking in a jewelry store while the wife accumulates..more shiney things.
Think ill drag her to a hardware store..
20180414_145001.jpg

Last edited:

Teleskier

Yesterday at Stowe was amazing! I had low expectations that expected cold air and rain. Instead we had warm temps with buttery soft spring snow, with everything open with soft easy snow, even Goat was a fun breeze. We also had many bonus periods of spring sun and blue skies to get some vitamin D in. I saw fellow teleskiers everywhere... most everyone on the mountain were the hard core die hards. Each run just skied right onto the chair. Most often trails to yourself. I skied first to last chair. Wonderful day! Yesterday alone was worth the trip!!

It satisfied my need for a spring skiing day - I can end the season in peace now.

This morning was the complete opposite. All the warm soft snow froze. Many trails which were open yesterday were closed today (like Goat). Even the grooming in soft snow froze into icy corduroy. It was NOT fun. I think the average number of runs of everyone I talked to was 4. I called it quits after the 7th run. Just not fun, especially on my powder teleskis. The stowe snow report playfully called it "some of the most challenging turns of the season."

It's been snowing like mad outside the house since closing time - hoping for fresh powder tomorrow.

FWIW - I had multiple mountain workers tell me that the April 17 closure date was set by the state, not Vail.

Fingers crossed for a great last day of skiing tomorrow!

Last edited:

kingslug

Yeah..i really need some good bump runs..spring snow..friday for me at work was a bit..stressful..the drive adter was ok unfil rt 100..then fog and some huge potholes..but im having fun buying stuff for the condo and drinking cider and IPAs

BenedictGomez

Snowing pretty good in St. Albans now but on our drive up, Burlington was pure sleet.

Family in St. Albans said they're seen every type of precipitation imaginable today, rain, sleet, snow, with wind & nastiness. Told them I'm in shorts & a tee-shirt in blue sky 85 degree sun and about to hit the soft serve stand!

FWIW - I had multiple mountain workers tell me that the April 17 closure date was set by the state, not Vail.

It's April 15th, not April 17th, and I'm not buying that either, unless it was a very recent change by State of Vermont. As in, just in the last few weeks recent change.

kingslug

Got a big 2 inches
And its still coming down..might be as good day
And so it is. Groomers are good. The shnozzle bonded with the ice and its still coming down. The bumps are rather a different story though.

Last edited: