• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eastern Closing Thread 2018

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Great day at Plattekill yesterday. Bluebird, soft snow and the usual vibe.

Plattekill-bluebird_-_1.jpg

The Sneak

Expo, Beaver Pond, and Andre’s were quite good today!!! Timbuktu and Kitz Woods were well, more challenging

6223490eee12038abbd3348ade9552c2.jpg

cdskier

It's April 15th, not April 17th, and I'm not buying that either, unless it was a very recent change by State of Vermont. As in, just in the last few weeks recent change.

Agreed. Why would the state of VT tell Stowe they need to close by an early date like that, but not tell others like Jay or Killington that are also on state forest land that they need to close at that same time?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Agreed. Why would the state of VT tell Stowe they need to close by an early date like that, but not tell others like Jay or Killington that are also on state forest land that they need to close at that same time?
Yeah, I lived in Stowe for the better part of a decade and maintain close ties to the region. I've never heard of the state getting involved in a closing decision.

By and large the locals are pretty pissed with the Vail culture. Some local friends are talking about printing Stowe Mountain Company T-shirts to sell. Not that such a thing would change anything, but more as a middle finger to the not so great new neighbors. The cop attitude about the snowballs and what not has not gone over well. Stowe used to have the most rowdy tailgate scene in the East. For years there used to be what was called the "Prohibition party." The mountain used to rope off Chin Clip in April and drag a bunch of kegs up there with snowcats for a locals only party. Now you have no snowball signs up. Pretty pathetic

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

abc

Vail is trying to turn their newly acquired mountains into ski destinations like...Vail!

Maybe they’ll sell it off again if they lose money on it. How would they lose money? If all your locals (and day trippers) ski your butt off on the cheap season pass but buy nothing else. Not stay on the mountain, brown bag your lunch...? Maybe Vail will get the message that Stowe is just another ski hill full of local cheapskates...like MRG! ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Vail is trying to turn their newly acquired mountains into ski destinations like...Vail!

Maybe they’ll sell it off again if they lose money on it. How would they lose money? If all your locals (and day trippers) ski your butt off on the cheap season pass but buy nothing else. Not stay on the mountain, brown bag your lunch...? Maybe Vail will get the message that Stowe is just another ski hill full of local cheapskates...like MRG! ;)
I guess the point I'm making is Stowe has had a very tight knit community with it's businesses and townspeople for many decades. The skiing history was so palpable more so than anywhere in the state when I moved there in 95.

Even back then though, there was the town and the Mountain Company. There was always a bit of separation between the two.

Vail has further didvided the ski resort from the town. Locals miss the Mountain Company which seems inconceivable knowing the former relationship between the two entities.

I get the investment by Vail and desire to make money, but be respectful of the skiing history in town and don't try and reinvent the culture.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

I here there skier visits are not up much. That sounds awful for a ski area that dropped its season pass price in half. Maybe they will sell.

kingslug

Now that we own a place up there we will be more involved in what is going on up there. Vail, isn't going anywhere. While their investment is a drop in the bucket for them , its just a start. And yes they don't care about the local culture, which is a shame. They don't cater to the brown baggers, they want the 200 buck a bottle wine buyer. We looked at the condos on the mountain but they where not for us. Our place is is town, not secluded on the mountain. We have been visiting local stores, shops. Best place for me was the the iron works shop where we bough a coat rack. Also a local art shop where we got some cool lamps made by a local artist. Hanging out at the VT Cider company was also very cool. I guess we will see what happens over time.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
We looked at the condos on the mountain but they where not for us. Our place is is town, not secluded on the mountain. We have been visiting local stores, shops. Best place for me was the the iron works shop where we bough a coat rack. Also a local art shop where we got some cool lamps made by a local artist. Hanging out at the VT Cider company was also very cool.

This is, IMO, the only approach to having property in the mountains. Anything else would leave us feeling like visitors, and empty. Good on you king.

cdskier

Now that we own a place up there we will be more involved in what is going on up there. Vail, isn't going anywhere. While their investment is a drop in the bucket for them , its just a start. And yes they don't care about the local culture, which is a shame. They don't cater to the brown baggers, they want the 200 buck a bottle wine buyer. We looked at the condos on the mountain but they where not for us. Our place is is town, not secluded on the mountain. We have been visiting local stores, shops. Best place for me was the the iron works shop where we bough a coat rack. Also a local art shop where we got some cool lamps made by a local artist. Hanging out at the VT Cider company was also very cool. I guess we will see what happens over time.

This is, IMO, the only approach to having property in the mountains. Anything else would leave us feeling like visitors, and empty. Good on you king.

I think I know more people in the local stores in the MRV than I do in my town in NJ.

KustyTheKlown

belleayre was such a good move this past weekend. I knew that Vermont was going to be a mess and that the snow projections were super wishful thinking. 2:20 minutes drive to belleayre, soft snow in the 65 degree sun, about 90% of terrain open, even some snow in the woods to poach (some very technical skiing, hopping dirt patches etc), an epic deck party bbq and pond skim, and back home in Brooklyn by 6 PM for date night with my girl.

hit my 50th day and 1,000,000th tracked vertical foot. first time I've hit these milestones.

2 killington days left before I'm done for the year

kingslug

Good move..saturday was a waste..sunday was pretty cool..in the freezing rain but good enough for 3.5 hours..got the mrs to dl nosedive many times..even when the top was a slidefest..then showed her Rimrock which had a sporty entrance..and she kept wanting to go back for more..Progress!!!

GregoryIsaacs

Looks like another Southern-VT favored storm with higher elevation totals throughout VT for Thursday-Friday... Highs in the 40s this weekend finally

skimagic

Looks like another Southern-VT favored storm with higher elevation totals throughout VT for Thursday-Friday... Highs in the 40s this weekend finally

I saw 3-5 " , then the sun and warmth. I'll be at mt snow closing day Sunday for some real spring skiing. Okemo also closes Sunday, that leaves Killington and sugarbush for VT into May? Is Mt Ellen closed for year yet?

cdskier

I saw 3-5 " , then the sun and warmth. I'll be at mt snow closing day Sunday for some real spring skiing. Okemo also closes Sunday, that leaves Killington and sugarbush for VT into May? Is Mt Ellen closed for year yet?

Jay will be open into May as well (including DAILY all the way through May 1).

And yes, Mt Ellen closed a couple weeks ago as per their usual schedule. Sugarbush is down to just the terrain accessed by the Super Bravo, Heaven's Gate, and Castlerock chairs now as the Gate House and North Lynx areas had their final weekend this past one.

Glenn

There's still snow on the ground at our place in SoVT from the storm earlier this week. We were out in the yard doing spring cleanup last weekend. This winter just keeps rolling!

cdskier

Here is this week's rundown.

[h=2]Eastern Closing 2018: Mixed bag options – Week 4[/h]
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2018/04/18/eastern-closing-2018-mixed-bag-options-week-4/

After a mixed bag of weekend, this week looks closer to a normal Spring skiing weekend. No more pond skimming competitions in freezing temperatures. :p

Just a note about Sugarbush...they are only daily through this weekend. Then they go weekends only the next two weeks to get them to the May 5/6 weekend.