• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do people stop skiing for the season?

tumbler

i am constantly reassured that my decision to never have kids is a great one.

Yeah, they do get in the way but it is sure fun skiing and trying to keep up with them. Skiing behind them in the woods when they are darting in and out of the trees is awesome.

cdskier

I stop when Sugarbush closes for the season...if they were open longer, I'd ski longer.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, they do get in the way but it is sure fun skiing and trying to keep up with them. Skiing behind them in the woods when they are darting in and out of the trees is awesome.

Hell, I only got out 8 times this year on my own thus far. But, I probably got out a dozen times skiing with my 2 year old between my legs down green terrain. The best moment of my season by far was releasing him and watching him go on his own power for 50 feet or so. Next year he'll be learning to actually ski on his own and I can't wait for that. This year was all about planting the seed. Now when I ask if he wants to go skiing tomorrow he immediately starts jumping up and down and yelling, "Yes, Skiing!" and goes and grabs his coat and boots. Doesn't quite understand what "tomorrow" means yet. lol

I may curse him later in life when he has other sporting commitments that keep me off the hill, but the joy of sharing my passion and watching him learn will make it all worth it. Nothing better

cdskier

I may curse him later in life when he has other sporting commitments that keep me off the hill, but the joy of sharing my passion and watching him learn will make it all worth it. Nothing better

If you get him into skiing enough, maybe he won't want to be part of those other sports that interfere with skiing!

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Hell, I only got out 8 times this year on my own thus far. But, I probably got out a dozen times skiing with my 2 year old between my legs down green terrain. The best moment of my season by far was releasing him and watching him go on his own power for 50 feet or so. Next year he'll be learning to actually ski on his own and I can't wait for that. This year was all about planting the seed. Now when I ask if he wants to go skiing tomorrow he immediately starts jumping up and down and yelling, "Yes, Skiing!" and goes and grabs his coat and boots. Doesn't quite understand what "tomorrow" means yet. lol

This! My son is 25 now and I only get to ski with him a few times a year. Cherish the moments!

Edd

Spring skiing is tremendously underrated. I was discussing this with my wife skiing at today with near perfect spring conditions and quality deck time.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

tumbler

Maybe my post read wrong, I very much enjoy having kids and skiing with them. Their requirements do get in the way but that is part of gig. They are two in early teens and 10 and they love skiing, they don't want to stay home. They have their friends on the hill and they have so much independence. They can go off on their own and we know they are responsible and safe. Rare is the place where kids can play by themselves.

You're coming into the good years when they are learning and cannot go so fast. I cannot keep up with any of them anymore. I watch their backs from a distance.

Scruffy

I love spring skiing and I wish it lasted longer. Seems the mountains are closing earlier and earlier. Too many people hate skiing in what they call "mash potato" snow.

To borrow a quote from Josh M: "It's not that you can't ski deep, crusty, heavy wet snow; it's that you can't ski, and the deep, crusty, heavy wet snow proves it" :grin::grin:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe my post read wrong, I very much enjoy having kids and skiing with them. Their requirements do get in the way but that is part of gig. They are two in early teens and 10 and they love skiing, they don't want to stay home. They have their friends on the hill and they have so much independence. They can go off on their own and we know they are responsible and safe. Rare is the place where kids can play by themselves.

You're coming into the good years when they are learning and cannot go so fast. I cannot keep up with any of them anymore. I watch their backs from a distance.
No I understood you. My post was in agreement with your passion of having kids to ski with you. I hope my son has a similar experience when he gets older where he has his skiing buddies at Wildcat doing the very same things.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Youth sports these days, for those who currently don't have kids actively involved in them, is way different than they used to be....

Most youth sports, past the entry level leagues, are becoming year round commitments, especially once one's kids get past the age of say 10 or 11...

This really has exacerbated the Spring family skiing fall off in my opinion... Went through it in my own house over the last few years where my kids both chose to stop playing competitive level soccer as their coaches were requiring year round commitment and mandatory weekends from March 1st on. I was proud my kids chose their love of skiing and ski racing in particular over soccer. Hence why this coming weekend will be our 23rd straight on the slopes!!

Youth sports has changed for many reasons in the last 10 to 15yrs for sure.... And I'm not so sure in a good way either....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

jaytrem

No I understood you. My post was in agreement with your passion of having kids to ski with you.

Nothin' better!!! Just did a 10 day trip with my twin 6yo girls. They've progressed a lot this year. Most importantly they now know how to use the singles line.

mister moose

Spring skiing after April 15th is almost a different sport. The snow, terrain, and technique are all different. It's not about expansive terrain, white capped mountains, or a fresh snowfall. It isn't for the 10 day a year skier, 10 day legs won't cut it.

Spring skiing is about crisp mornings waiting for the snow to soften, big moguls, BBQs slope side, bands on the deck, and a bumper community where many on the hill know each other. It's a gathering from all over the Northeast, and while the numbers are smaller, the dedication is greater.

bigbog

New household projects/chores and dealing with new finances = all the crap that comes with getting older, mixed have new footbeds and orthotics made(winter & spring/summer) for new degrees of pronation..and now that Spring is nearing...I have water samples from various streams/brooks to gather in the coming month+ to submit and some spring/summer circuit boards to build that help me maintain a few workmates' applications to measure this and that...are rigged up & stashed away in the woods in various locales...my PT job that I actually DO love...so all in all...my intended western skiing has goten ditched....but my stance is greatly improved for both walking/sprinting and skiing so I'm happy there. What a tradeoff huh!!!!:puke::lol::lol:.
So that's where my skiing season went....not mentioning the frigid December temps we all got....

BenedictGomez

Most youth sports, past the entry level leagues, are becoming year round commitments, especially once one's kids get past the age of say 10 or 11...

TRANSLATION: Parents with subconscious psychological low self-esteem must "prove" their worth in life through their children's successes.

Screw that.

VTKilarney

i am constantly reassured that my decision to never have kids is a great one.

The research is well settled on this. People without kids are happier earlier in life, but are less happy later in life. It’s a question of when you want your happiness.

Edd

Me neither, the dog is enough to worry about.

Even a dog is too much for me. We decided to go childless early on and now I’m 48. Weekend getaway decisions are made last minute and I just can’t be bothered with pet concerns. She wants a cat but I’m going to resist that as long as I can.