• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do people stop skiing for the season?

hespeler

Youth sports these days, for those who currently don't have kids actively involved in them, is way different than they used to be....

Most youth sports, past the entry level leagues, are becoming year round commitments, especially once one's kids get past the age of say 10 or 11...

This really has exacerbated the Spring family skiing fall off in my opinion... Went through it in my own house over the last few years where my kids both chose to stop playing competitive level soccer as their coaches were requiring year round commitment and mandatory weekends from March 1st on. I was proud my kids chose their love of skiing and ski racing in particular over soccer. Hence why this coming weekend will be our 23rd straight on the slopes!!

Youth sports has changed for many reasons in the last 10 to 15yrs for sure.... And I'm not so sure in a good way either....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Completely agree with this. I'm in the thick of it now with two kids aged 10 and 12. Every year it gets harder to keep skiing a part of the family fabric.

Soccer is already year round but my son is still young enough that he can miss a practice here or there. Daughter in volleyball and softball.

Kids like but don't love to ski. They are both really, really good. Have skied a good amount both in the East and the West.

I played baseball and hockey (we didn't ski) and I had the chance to play in college (Div 3, nothing too special) and I certainly don't remember it being all encompassing the way it is now.

My wife is obsessed with the kids' sports. Ironically, she loves to ski and is very good at it but everything takes a back seat to team sports. If we have a few days off, they will be in a camp for their sports. If some other team needs a fill-in, you better believe she volunteered our kids, etc. If we have a day off, you better bet the coach will find another team to scrimmage on our "day off." It just never stops. Just when I think I have a few hours to get something accomplished, there is another game or practice that comes up. She wants to analyze our kids' development from game to game in excrutiating detail.

She played basketball growing up and is trying hard to get our son involved. He played this season but wants to take a season off. This is one of the few times she couldn't convince him to just play. Basketball interferes with skiing so it freaks me out (plus I've never been a fan) but I have to support giving him the opportunity if he wants it.

I say all this but my wife is great in so many ways that make it work for us and in fairness, both of our kids are pretty open to being involved in so many activities and I don't want to deter that mindset. I also really enjoy watching them play but there does come a point where people should have lives outside of youth sports.

Through all of this mayhem, my wife does work with me in the winter and we somehow get up skiing a few times a year. Kids usually get 7 days or so and I usually get around 15. We get them seasonal rentals, we've taken a trip out West for the past three seasons and she bought herself new boots so she is definitely into it. I just see it becoming less and less of a priority year after year, especially when practices become mandatory.

For those asking about dropping the kids off at practice or camp and then going skiing. Well maybe if you're a local but if you have to drive a few hours to get to the mountain all of the stars have to align to be able to take that trip.

For a family living in the flatlands, you pretty much have to arrange your life around skiing in the winter if you want to do it consistently.

I'm happy with the balance for now as I know as long as I can stay healthy I'll be able to ski more later in life but I'm very passionate about skiing. I couldn't see a casual skier in my same situation moving heaven and earth just to go slide on snow.

Last edited:

tnt1234

Yeah, living in NJ, driving a lot for good skiing, I just get kind of burned out about now. Plus, the kids schedules change. Plus, usually it's much warmer and March didn't have tons of snow, so it's not really a discussion come April.

But My last reasonable chance was this friday or possibly sunday, and honestly, I don't think we're going. Temps in teh catskills are 50F weds day and 20F thursday night> friday - sounds like it's gonna be icy groomers and no spring snow....so.....not real appealing, especially given the great skiing I we all had this year. Would love to end it with soft bumps, but not really gonna push it for marginal skiing. Feel pretty damn satisfied and ready for spring.

John9

Don't do, or watch ball sports. Skiing, Martial arts, musical instrument are son's activities. Winter is for skiing.

kingslug

Good input everyone!

I had a theory about other activities and kids being over scheduled. So it's good to get some insight.

I've always wanted to ski south of the equator during the typical off season. That would be a ton of fun. To have the ability to spend a few weeks down there and really get some skiing in would be spectacular.

Cheaper to book early and gamble on conditions..which can be pretty bad..then your stuck
Or wa it and see..
I want to hit Portillo but it would have to be the right conditions...way more steep stuff compared to Valle Nevado which is pretty mellow.

machski

Cheaper to book early and gamble on conditions..which can be pretty bad..then your stuck
Or wa it and see..
I want to hit Portillo but it would have to be the right conditions...way more steep stuff compared to Valle Nevado which is pretty mellow.
It does add to the cost, but consider NZ for summer skiing. So much to do there besides just skiing that you are almost guaranteed a great trip even if snow conditions are sub par. Oh, and the language thing is a non-factor.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Teleskier

Spring skiing is about grills, lawn chairs, sunshine and beer in the parking lot and doing it by yourself isn't the same. Maybe I need new friends who will set their priorities more in line with mine.

While I'm glad to have the friends I sometimes ski with on the these days - who needs friends?? Skip the parking lot. I find the instant camaraderie on the slopes and especially beer deck to be the most fun and most accepting "let's all party on this last day together " of any day of the year. The group vibe is social and infectious!

Spring skiing after April 15th is almost a different sport. The snow, terrain, and technique are all different. It's not about expansive terrain, white capped mountains, or a fresh snowfall. It isn't for the 10 day a year skier, 10 day legs won't cut it.

Spring skiing is about crisp mornings waiting for the snow to soften, big moguls, BBQs slope side, bands on the deck, and a bumper community where many on the hill know each other. It's a gathering from all over the Northeast, and while the numbers are smaller, the dedication is greater.

THIS!!! I couldn't have described it better. I live for throwing around corn snow as a New England "thing", blasting music under the chairlifts, cold apres-ski beer on a sun drenched deck with warm breezes in looser garb with uncovered skin yet is not too hot or too strong sun yet!! It's almost a whole different sport.

Those moments are also tinged with thoughts of how it's going to be another whole year before you can ski again, especially on your very last ski day when the mountain closes. It's a New England seasonal ritual. Similar for me as your last beach day on the Cape in October, making the most of and enjoying the last precious moments of the season before it transitions.

SkiFanE

Completely agree with this. I'm in the thick of it now with two kids aged 10 and 12. Every year it gets harder to keep skiing a part of the family fabric.

Soccer is already year round but my son is still young enough that he can miss a practice here or there. Daughter in volleyball and softball.

Kids like but don't love to ski. They are both really, really good. Have skied a good amount both in the East and the West.

I played baseball and hockey (we didn't ski) and I had the chance to play in college (Div 3, nothing too special) and I certainly don't remember it being all encompassing the way it is now.

My wife is obsessed with the kids' sports. Ironically, she loves to ski and is very good at it but everything takes a back seat to team sports. If we have a few days off, they will be in a camp for their sports. If some other team needs a fill-in, you better believe she volunteered our kids, etc. If we have a day off, you better bet the coach will find another team to scrimmage on our "day off." It just never stops. Just when I think I have a few hours to get something accomplished, there is another game or practice that comes up. She wants to analyze our kids' development from game to game in excrutiating detail.

She played basketball growing up and is trying hard to get our son involved. He played this season but wants to take a season off. This is one of the few times she couldn't convince him to just play. Basketball interferes with skiing so it freaks me out (plus I've never been a fan) but I have to support giving him the opportunity if he wants it.

I say all this but my wife is great in so many ways that make it work for us and in fairness, both of our kids are pretty open to being involved in so many activities and I don't want to deter that mindset. I also really enjoy watching them play but there does come a point where people should have lives outside of youth sports.

Through all of this mayhem, my wife does work with me in the winter and we somehow get up skiing a few times a year. Kids usually get 7 days or so and I usually get around 15. We get them seasonal rentals, we've taken a trip out West for the past three seasons and she bought herself new boots so she is definitely into it. I just see it becoming less and less of a priority year after year, especially when practices become mandatory.

For those asking about dropping the kids off at practice or camp and then going skiing. Well maybe if you're a local but if you have to drive a few hours to get to the mountain all of the stars have to align to be able to take that trip.

For a family living in the flatlands, you pretty much have to arrange your life around skiing in the winter if you want to do it consistently.

I'm happy with the balance for now as I know as long as I can stay healthy I'll be able to ski more later in life but I'm very passionate about skiing. I couldn't see a casual skier in my same situation moving heaven and earth just to go slide on snow.

Kudos to your wife lol! If your kids are onboard and she's willing to do all the work - why not?! Luckily only one of my kids did basketball and we split weekends - sat BBall/Sunday ski. She quit around 6/7th grade My kids are used to 3 hr car rides. This winter half the weekends we didn't hit the road until 9pm Friday, then up early to ski. That's why I do feel bad my son is "forced" to ski Saturday's. I tell him farm children were up early to feed animals - just pretend were farmers :) the routine is exhausting for me too - I tend to "apres nap" instead of socializing lol.

but your kids are 10-12 and it will all end before you know it. So don't sweat it - I enjoy seeing my kids in sports. But my 17yo just found out our plans to stay home this weekend - she wants to be with ski friends. Damn...schedule with teens is never clear lol, but I may end up skiing after all. Yard work be damned, it's not going anywhere :)

Glenn

NZ does sound like fun. With all the other options, that would be a solid trip.

hespeler

Kudos to your wife lol! If your kids are onboard and she's willing to do all the work - why not?! Luckily only one of my kids did basketball and we split weekends - sat BBall/Sunday ski. She quit around 6/7th grade My kids are used to 3 hr car rides. This winter half the weekends we didn't hit the road until 9pm Friday, then up early to ski. That's why I do feel bad my son is "forced" to ski Saturday's. I tell him farm children were up early to feed animals - just pretend were farmers :) the routine is exhausting for me too - I tend to "apres nap" instead of socializing lol.

but your kids are 10-12 and it will all end before you know it. So don't sweat it - I enjoy seeing my kids in sports. But my 17yo just found out our plans to stay home this weekend - she wants to be with ski friends. Damn...schedule with teens is never clear lol, but I may end up skiing after all. Yard work be damned, it's not going anywhere :)

She doesn't do all of the work. I split it with her 50/50.

Unlike you, my kids don't really have friends on the hill as we don't stick to a specific mountain or are not on a specific schedule. We just ski when and where we can. It definitely helps to have other kids their age to ski with.

One wknd my son had nothing on a (Sunday) which rarely happens. I asked if he wanted to ski and I was pretty sure he would have said no but he said yes so just him and I went up which was special.

I'm just hoping we can keep skiing through the teen years when all they want to do is hang with their friends and my wife can remember to not quadruple book us in winter. Lol.

cdskier

These weather reports im looking at are not promising..unless you like frozen groomers..its time for spring damn it...: :(

If you rush spring too early, then the season ends too quickly. I can be patient and wait for spring.

Hawk

If you rush spring too early, then the season ends too quickly. I can be patient and wait for spring.
It's Spring. There are only 4 weeks left at Sugarbush and Pond Skimming is next weekend and also Tailgate-a-palooza. Right now is when we usually are having good spring conditions. We are not rushing anything. ;-) They may have to break the ice on the pond skimming this Saturday morning. Brrrr. Going to be cold.

cdskier

It's Spring. There are only 4 weeks left at Sugarbush and Pond Skimming is next weekend and also Tailgate-a-palooza. Right now is when we usually are having good spring conditions. We are not rushing anything. ;-) They may have to break the ice on the pond skimming this Saturday morning. Brrrr. Going to be cold.

If true spring started now, I have my doubts they would last 4 more weeks... (or 5 if we're counting this weekend too)

Also wouldn't be the first time we've had "winter" weather for pond-skimming. :lol:

mikec142

For us it's a couple of things:

1. Spring sports. This is by far and away the biggest reason we stop. My kids softball season started the first Friday in March.

2. My kids have social lives of their own.

Hawk

If true spring started now, I have my doubts they would last 4 more weeks... (or 5 if we're counting this weekend too)

Also wouldn't be the first time we've had "winter" weather for pond-skimming. :lol:
That is what I am saying. Most every year the spring skiing starts around this week. Even earlier some years. We always make it to the last week in April. There is a ton of snow on Steins, snowball and ripchord. We will make it.

cdskier

That is what I am saying. Most every year the spring skiing starts around this week. Even earlier some years. We always make it to the last week in April. There is a ton of snow on Steins, snowball and ripchord. We will make it.

Last year we skied powder the first two weekends of April. Actually in looking back at some of my photos, many of the recent first week or two of April weekends look wintry even with some fresh snow several years.

I know people keep saying there's a ton of snow on Stein's, Spring Fling, etc, but to me it seems less than other years (I'm hoping to be proven wrong on this). When last weekend I was already seeing thin and barespots on snowmaking trails like Lower Ripcord and Snowball, I'm concerned. I realize they can move snow around to cover those up, but in general I think the base is much thinner than it should be for this point in the season. Our natural snowfall numbers are well below average and our temps and rainfall throughout the season have been above average. Add that up and that doesn't bode well to me for a long spring unless spring stays on the cooler side.

So yea, I'm content with winter trying to hold on a bit for another week or so before spring kicks into real high gear.

kingslug

Stowe closes the 15th///11 days from now. This weekend looks cold and icy if they don't get some snow. I'll just wait and see as it doesn't cost me anything but gas to go there. K on the other hand will require lift tix and a hotel.

cdskier

Is that earlier than usual for Stowe? I know they typically close a bit earlier than their neighbors to the north and south, but that still seems earlier than I remember. For some reason I thought they usually made it to the 3rd weekend of April