• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do people stop skiing for the season?

Edd

2nd day in a row at Wildcat today. It was forecasted cloudy/rainy but it turned out to be a solid spring sunny day so far. Skiing is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Pez

For me it's taking care of property. My home needs spring clean up and i have an elderly father who needs my help at his home as well.

sucks, this time of year is like the end of summer camp.

Glenn

NWS Albany sometimes throws some good ones in the forecast discussion:

Today is Friday the 13th, and the ol` man Winter is trying to play a trick on the region for the upcoming weekend.

Looking like a mixed precip event in SoVT. Hoping to get some turns in tomorrow AM before the precip starts.

BenedictGomez

I cooked in the sun today working on a huge fan outside..

Made it to 83 here. I got home from work and fixed up some of the bluebird houses from the winter, put out some "outdoor plants" that live indoors in the winter, and did some yard work.

Am I a horrible person if I admit this felt good?

kingslug

Im almost there..wet mist on 89
Sporty ride up..fog from hell and the road had huge potholes..damn near lost a wheel..
And...its snowing now
And now its not. Whole place frozen..no new snow. Maybe 1 more run..then?

Last edited:

jimk

Made it to 83 here. I got home from work and fixed up some of the bluebird houses from the winter, put out some "outdoor plants" that live indoors in the winter, and did some yard work.

Am I a horrible person if I admit this felt good?

I got a new battery powered Ryobi lawn mower from Home Depot for $249 and used it for the first time on Saturday 4/14/18. I’m a dinosaur and have been cutting grass with gas powered mowers for as long as I’ve been skiing, 50+ years. The battery power mower is kind of a fun new toy. Almost feels like a kiddie toy mower. Super light weight, glad I didn’t get self-propelled version. No need. My lot is only 10k sq ft. This new mower is sort of cheap, but high tech at same time. Everything is plastic on it except the blade:)
images

Last edited:

Glenn

Quite a difference in the north country this weekend. We only hit the upper 40's for a high Saturday and then it stayed in the low 40's for most of the afternoon. Given the weather, we opted not to to ski. We had a banner day last Saturday with sunshine, fresh snow and some drinks with a friend. So we opted to end on a high note. But still had a good day cleaning up the yard in SoVT. Then we had some accumulating sleet Sunday...and from my webcam today, plowable snow overnight.

abc

Went out for a bike ride Saturday! Spun away some cobwebs. That felt good.

I took the shim out of my ski boot and put it under my cycling shoes. My knee is much happier! :)

bdfreetuna

Too short / slim a season for my tastes. Probably have a couple days left at Killington or maybe back to Jay too.

Last season was a different story, I almost spoiled myself. I can't ski 50 or 100 days like some of you. My job is 24/7/365 basically, so I take days off when I need to, and I work weekends so I can ski weekdays. I try to make the most of a limited schedule by getting in a variety of mountains, and checking off various must-do/to-do's off the list even if that's mostly contained to Vermont.

Having a 5 month old I will say, quite an experience, but it hasn't made me want to ski any less.

Woke up to 2-3" of slushy snow this morning in Northampton MA. Maybe next week I'll feel like dusting off the Specialized Enduro.

At least I ended the year in pretty good shape physically -- almost 30 lbs lighter than last year same time. Need to not let the fitness slip up again. My knees and my form/confidence/aggressiveness thanked me big time this year. Actually went into the season with more knee pain than I have now (none). Gotta bike.

You know, went to Jay last week for 2 days... folks ask me "Was it worth it?"

To me it's like, what do you mean "worth it"? How many smiles per gallon did I get on the drive compared with how many feelings of peace mixed with feelings of total joy and exhilaration while skiing?

Enter brief spring seasonal depression. Been playing guitar for about 20 years and got back into it a bit this winter... picked up where I left off and then some, essentially. MA is now a 420 friendly state. But man, I hate going into the "off-season" when I'm still blood-thirsty for more powder.

Last edited:

Wicked1

Boats, motorcycles, yard work, work on truck (no garage), paint interior of house (windows opened for ventilation) etc.....