• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do people stop skiing for the season?

shwilly

There are a few reasons for me. We go a lot in March and April but are generally done by the end of April.

The kids' one sports season starts this weekend. We had gone 8 weekends straight and needed to give the kids a break anyway. Now we can see our flatland friends again after being flighty for months.

Everyone's closing. SR will be done this weekend, and most of the rest next weekend. In a few weeks K will be the only game in town, and we only rarely do the super late thing there.

Our season-ending run was terrific. Even though last weekend was so good it was hard to think of it as the end, we have a ton of good memories of the season.

We're finally getting some nice weather in the flatlands! There's outdoor fun to be had a lot closer than the mountains. Right now 7 months is a long time to wait, but the warmer months are good too.

Domeskier

I stop skiing when only Vermont is left standing. I refuse to subsidize the economy of a state whose principal source of income is fining out-of-state drivers in phantom school zones in direct and blatant violation of the commerce clause of the U.S. Constitution. Plus, the forecast for this weekend at K isn't looking too hot....

abc

I keep skiing in spring for the very reason many other stop: flowers

It’s lovely out, the trees are blooming and flowers everywhere. To me, it means misery due to allergy!

So I escape to the mountains until the tree pollens are gone. That means sunny corn and slush till the very bitter end! :)

tumbler

I love skiing but I also love the seasons in New England. By the end of winter I am tired and I don't think I could do the every weekend schlep all year. I'm looking forward to summer and its vibe and come late August I am ready to ski and enjoy that vibe.

bdfreetuna

This season actually worked out really well for me... I like to end it on a high note, if possible, rather than lapping Superstar or hiking to some white ribbons.

So a strong April with great days at Jay Peak, Killington and Sugarbush with Castlerock 100% for the finale is just where I like to leave things off until next year.

To be honest if it wasn't for a minor leg surgery I might have gone out again but things really did warm up quick and it's at the point where, for me at least, still skiing would represent a lapse in measure and reason, and would perhaps also be a sign that I need to learn to appreciate the other seasons more.