• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your significant other...

witch hobble

I tend to last longer than him and tire less

imagegif
8)

My wife is not a great skier, but she is a good sport. Fair weather, short days, preferably in spring. Always enjoys her day more if one of her friends are around to ski with.

abc

the understanding that from thanksgiving to easter I will not be available on a weekend for almost anything.
I'd love to know how you find non-skier women that are ok with that...I mentioned simply that I ski quite a bit in the winter to one woman I had just met recently and her response was something along the lines of "how's that working out for you? Maybe that's why you're single. You need to realize there's more than skiing in life." That was as far as that went...was a bit floored by that response when this was someone that I had only just met that realistically knew almost nothing about me.
I mean, there is more to life than skiing, but that's what May/June-October are for.
The reverse is also true.

I used to be that way. Not about skiing. But about cycling. Even my friends joked "I know enough not try to make any plans with you between Memorial Day and Labor Day"!

After a few years, it got awfully lonely. It's not enough to ride every day of the weekend. As as now, it's not enough to ski every weekend.

There're powder days. That's not negotiable. But that's far from every weekend.

Ironically, I got back into skiing when I met someone who WANTS to ski every weekend in the winter. Well, we didn't get to see each other much between my summer obsession and my date's winter obsession! So it didn't work out even though I did get back to skiing regularly. I just didn't ski enough. Never wanted to.

I would take a dim view of someone who takes skiing higher than our relationship. Though I ski quite a bit, I don't take it half as seriously as a lasting relationship.

Terry

My wife and I ski together every weekend all winter and like the same terrain. She also has Fridays off and skis most of them. I am jealous as I have to work Fridays. But I will night ski quite a bit and she doesn't care for the night skiing. That gives me some alone time, and her some alone slope time. Works great for us.

lerops

My wife and I both started as adults. I quickly got obsessed. She would go with me, but would not push herself like I do and did not care about getting better. Over time she started skiing one out of five days of a trip and just for a few runs.

We are getting divorced now for other reasons, and I started skiing more. My relationships in the future would need to not conflict with this habit. I guess I’d be open to non-skiers as long as my habit did not bother them.

And thanks for the link above. This was on my mind! =d

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Hawk

My wife is truly special. When we met she did not ski at all and really did nothing that athletic for the most part. Over the past 32 years she has quietly become a very good skier and biker with me. Now she is an expert skier and my ski partner full time with as many days as me. She can go anywhere with we and loves the adventure. Her favorite trail at Sugarbush is Lift line at Castlerock. My high light was taking her with a guide to ski the Grand Envers route off the Aiguille du midi at Chamonix. I was so proud of her. She is also the one that text me first to say "Hey storm coming next week, Can you get it off from Work???" She is very avid, loves all seasons and never complains. Yup I will keep her.

BenedictGomez

My fiancé loves to ski about as much as I do, so it's not a problem in the winter in terms of "separation" per se, which is great because I think skiing is probably the ultimate couples vacation sport. Only issue is she skis intermediate groomers exclusively and has no desire to progress (refuses to learn to ski moguls, wont go in the woods). She's definitely good enough to take that step and learn, she just wont do it. It's not an issue at a place like Plattekill where all roads lead to the same lifts, or a place like Jay Peak, where lots of good glades happen to reconnect to intermediate connectors, but it kind of stinks at a place like Sugarbush.

Hawk

My fiancé loves to ski about as much as I do, so it's not a problem in the winter in terms of "separation" per se, which is great because I think skiing is probably the ultimate couples vacation sport. Only issue is she skis intermediate groomers exclusively and has no desire to progress (refuses to learn to ski moguls, wont go in the woods). She's definitely good enough to take that step and learn, she just wont do it. It's not an issue at a place like Plattekill where all roads lead to the same lifts, or a place like Jay Peak, where lots of good glades happen to reconnect to intermediate connectors, but it kind of stinks at a place like Sugarbush.
Too bad you guys were not closer to Sunday River. Sounds like she would love the set up there.

crank

My ex was not really into skiing and resented the amount that I skied. She thought 10 days a season was excessive!

My SO and I have been together for 6 years now and are engaged to be married. She is almost as obsessive about skiing as I am and loves powder and trees (so long as they are not too tight and super steep) She is an advanced level skier and is game to try anything in any conditions. However, she shares my feelings about going when the snow is good and not going when there is nothing fresh and natural either on the ground or in the forecast. When we are planning a trip out west she is more obsessive about checking webcams and forecasts than I am.

She is a bit slower than I am but well worth waiting for! I love having my love and best friend to share skiing and mountain biking and hiking with. BTW, she smokes me on hikes.

Regarding ski clubs: We belong to one based in Westchester County, NY and there are a lot of single women who are in good shape and like skiing. Most are intermediates who like just cruising blue groomers, but we do have some who are advanced - expert and love bumps, trees, powder. Demographics are older though but if you are a single guy in your 50's or 60's it's a great place to meet active women. I know of a few couples who met through the club.

hespeler

My wife is in to skiing and is a good skier. I'm probably at a higher level but only marginally. I can push her into more difficult terrain and she will usually be game. This year at Telluride I made her do some hike-to stuff that she struggled to get down (I didn't look like a pro either) and I thought she was going to kill me but she said she was glad she tried it.

She's athletic and is usually good at most sports. Even though she really enjoys skiing, she is fine with doing it in moderation; 5-7 days a year is good for her (even though she typically skis more than that). She does not put everything aside for skiing, however. The kids' sports are just as involved in the Winter as they are in the Fall and Spring (much to my chagrin). We just skip a few games to go skiing which she is usually ok with up to a point.

By March she starts to lose motivation but I think it has more to do with juggling all of the kids' activities and trying to squeeze skiing in all Winter long. She gets sick of the long car rides and traffic we have to deal with too. I can't stand it either but I put up with it to get to the mountains. We don't live in an area conducive to leaving. HINT: It's an island with a population bigger than most American cities.

She's definitely not as obsessed as I am but she did do a lot of the planning for Telluride and has been very happy anytime I buy her new skis or something ski-related. She's also great at keeping all of the kids' gear ready to go in their boot bags when I say it's time.

I'm just hoping she will still want to ski once the kids get older and we have a little more time.

spk27alumni

Question, please explain the lifetime passes via Ski Patrol?

It was a program for weekend Patrollers at a Catskills Area back in the day. Twelve continuous seasons earned one for the Patroller, and fifteen for the Spouse. The attendance requirements were quite demanding back then. I retired in '96, and I don't think the program exists anymore.

SkiMom80

The obsession is shared in my family, not just by my husband, but also by my kids. Hubby and I got into skiing (him a newbie, me having skied a little from 11-14, but then not until after college) around age 25. We got more and more into it every year. Our 3 kids have all been skiing since they could walk, and we bought a 2nd house up in ski country last year, both for skiing and hiking. We should have 47 ski days on the mountain by the end of the season. It's a lifestyle our family has committed to, and I'm so glad they all enjoy it as much as I do.

Teleskier

Ahhhh, the things we do for...

This is probably way more personal than I’d want to get with total strangers, but in the kindred interest of skiing…

Thirty years ago, during my Alpine=Kmart=NYC=neon boycott exodus from alpine skiing back to Nordic, I introduced my new date to XC skiing on repeated ski weekends. Those weekends went really very well. Hooray!! Somehow the XC skinny skis felt more safe to this newbie on snow despite being for the first time on skis of any kind, which is a paradox, since it’s actually much harder to turn them and snowplow them, but I wasn’t going to argue with the gift horse that made skiing possible. We were away together and on the snow together. Great!! Good times!

Then 20 years ago, when telemark slowly coaxed me back onto alpine slopes again, I thought if snow plowing on XC skis down our prior advanced tight wooded steep trails was fine before, now snowplowing on wide groomed snow with skis with metal edges and boots that were plastic instead of leather… this should be a snap breeze for my other half!! I mean, the foundational mechanics of a snowplow were already established and set on XC skis, which are harder.

Except the ‘steep’ bunny hill looked ‘scary’. You might fly right down the open slope that you could see right to the bottom of… and run right into the lodge windows below. It was way less scary and more comfortable, apparently, with a forest of trees between you on top of the hill and the bottom of it. The alpine skis were too heavy. And the boots! Oh the heavy alpine boots! To this day, every time I have to snap them on after getting my own on, the complaints are non-stop. Too tight! Too heavy! Too uncomfortable! Too cold! I can’t walk in ‘em. Who designed shoes like these! And now I have to carry all this - the skis, the poles, my hat, my gloves - all the way up to the chairlift? In THESE boots??

“Yes, yes, I know, alpine boots do suck.” It's not as if I could suggest my more comfortable tele boots or my snowboarding boots - those platforms would be seen as even worse 'crazy scary'. XC is now likewise seen as "too much work."

So of course, I started off with teaching on the bunny hill. The first year, the second year, the third year, the fourth year. We could never advance off the bunny slope. OK, I just must be a bad teacher then (I’m not) or maybe you just can’t teach your other half, as they say. So it was multiple ski lessons with other talented and handsome instructors (whatever it takes) - the fifth year, the sixth year, the seventh year. But we’re still on the bunny slope.

I mean, when you refuse to ski any more than only ski once or twice a year - as being quote “skiing a lot” - how are you ever going cement any of your gains??

10 years ago, the skills became good enough to ski parallel. Hooray! And then even good enough, 25 years in, to ski the one (avoided for 25 years) 30-foot blue’ish section of the upper bunny slope. Ah-hah, now we can finally do some blues together? Nope. Every year begins with “I want to go back to the bunny slope, so I can feel comfortable again first.” And my favorite line, which I hear in my Kafkaesque nightmares, “Stop pushing me too fast!” Yet we never graduate off the bunny slope.

It’s like it’s been 30 years of the same Groundhog Day movie scene, over and over, year after year. Same bunny slope, same “trying to get comfortable”, same “stop pushing me too fast to get off this hill”, same me looking up longingly at the better terrain and snow that I don’t get to ski that day, each day, in the name of ‘having patience’.

And I’m told that the problem is that ***I*** am not patient enough??? Seriously - would anyone else be THAT patient for 30 years - 30 years on the same bunny slope?? Is anyone else that stupid, I mean, loving?? :)

Even with my tele gear - it’s just so insanely boring - and here smellytele is probably giving me the evil stink eye from the chairlift for “Hey, look at that tele guy, just showboating over there on the bunny slope!!”

So my real ski trips are with various ski clubs, and to exotic ski locations I mostly end up going and skiing alone. Which, no complaints, really does have its own pluses and minuses and merits. It would simply kill me to fly all the way to Japan, say, to only be on another eternal bunny slope. Plus I don’t have to hear how “I’m not ‘wasting’ my limited vacation time on some stupid skiing trip!”

Other than that, everything is GREAT!! :) :) And it would have to be, no? :)

Teleskier

Someone needs some counseling. :)

Of course I, or any skier, would quickly lose that argument.

The very expensively obtained advice would very likely be along the lines of:
  • More antiquing, less skiing.
  • My goodness! You skied over TWENTY days this year?!?! That's quite obsessive you know, and WAY too much.
  • TWO ski days a year, yes I agree, would surely be plenty enough for anyone
  • Wait - your skiing culture actually says "There are no friends on powder days?" How anti-social. Clearly a nutty sport
  • Wait - isn't that sport how the Kennedy's died?

In jest of course.

And it's not as bad as it sounds. My other half actually does enjoy our local weekends away skiing, once talked into them and actually on them, for all the other fun things they incorporate (including shopping and antiquing), everything about it, except the actual skiing part. And truth be told, I do enjoy them also, maybe even including the 'sacrificial' patient ski instructor parts. When I do finally see a milestone breakthrough after many years of trying, it is indeed a moment of long awaited but tremendous rush of joy.

I just make sure to get my actual skiing in on other days, to keep me sane. Plus, another benefit is that it leaves more buddy passes for my friends.

And I was thinking about the deeper question this morning:

Do I personally consider skiing as a social group sport, or an individual solo sport? That would likely be a longer discussion, with good arguments on both sides. My own history is: I ping pong between both.

kingslug

Its both. Most of us have skied alone and in groups probably an equal number of times. If I'm stuck alone and don't want to be..time to hire someone and work on whatever I feel like.