• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Switching from boarding to skiing....your experience?

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
I skied from age 12-18 and then stopped..became a Caribbean girl until 5 years ago when I picked up snowboarding. It's my addiction but, I am contemplating skiing again. I was never a great skier. Any boarders turned skiers with tips? I may take lessons and rent some gear this spring at Killington. Saw a good deal somewhere.

danimals

I’m thinking of doing the same. I started by renting skis a couple times this season, and next year will buy my first skis. Lessons are a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

boston_e

I’m a skier turned boarder turned skier. I truly think there is some carryover between the two.

Lessons would help for sure but more than anything else just get out there and start doing it. Especially if you skied from 12-18 it should come back pretty quickly. If you have never skied a lesson might be more needed.

Glenn

I did both throughout high school and college. Being on the hill 4 times a week at smaller mountains; I wanted to switch things up a bit. Boarding gave me a better appreciation for getting my skis up on the edges and making some nice arcs in the snow. A good carve where you can reach out and touch the hill reminds of of riding a snowboard.

gladerider

i skied for 18 and picked up snowboarding 14 years ago. i did sprinkle in a few ski days in the past 10 years but not much. i started to ski more in the past few years to teach my daughter how to ski. i taught all my kids ski first. which i think is easier for kids. then two of my teenagers switched over to snowboarding about 10 years ago but by then they were able to ski anything in the east coast. they go back to skiing every now and then. it just come back to them. but, they it takes them a few runs to get into the rhythm again. also skiing requires different set of muscle movements.

i skied about 50/50 this year. you will be able to ski like you were a kid relatively quickly. not sure if you need lessons unless you want to get better. however, skiing has progressed. ski designs have changed. don't need to get long skis anymore. get a decent pair and try different things and see what you enjoy the most and go with that.

ThinkSnow

I started skiing in high school. When I hit 30, I decided to become a snowboarder, took one lesson at Bromley, and snowboarded exclusively for the next 10 years. I switched back to skiing when I joined Ski Patrol and there was no transition needed. I would recommend finding a local hill where you can practice weekly, which is what I did to reinforce what I learned at Bromley. Also, my patroller friends tell me that Wachusett has a ski swap over Columbus day weekend every year, which is a good place to find gear on the cheap.