• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Earning turns at Cannon after they close

Bumpsis

Has anyone here hiked up Cannon's slopes after they officially closed for the season? Does management have any issues with that?
I get the feeling that there still be some fine cover and corn to be skied after they close (4/15??).
I may be tempted to do that if the weather stays cool past their closing date. I often feel that I'm missing out when hiking in the Whites in late April and come across some really fine corn snow, wishing I was skiing instead.

The hike up Cannon slopes would definitely be an easier task and fun ski rather than Tucks - I'm just not in good enough shape to get up there this year.

Smellytele

Hiking into tucks I think would be easier than hiking up Cannon as it is a well warn path and not a ski trial until you get to the bowl. even in the bowl there are kick holes to follow.

Skiing is a different story

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Has anyone here hiked up Cannon's slopes after they officially closed for the season? Does management have any issues with that?
I get the feeling that there still be some fine cover and corn to be skied after they close (4/15??).
I may be tempted to do that if the weather stays cool past their closing date. I often feel that I'm missing out when hiking in the Whites in late April and come across some really fine corn snow, wishing I was skiing instead.

The hike up Cannon slopes would definitely be an easier task and fun ski rather than Tucks - I'm just not in good enough shape to get up there this year.

I know that locals have done it before. Generally if you don't advertise what you are doing and avoid employees and operations they don't care. But they might have a stricter policy now. I know that they don't want people hiking the ski trails in the summer.

SIKSKIER

Tb has it right.Plenty skiers have hiked and skied closed areas during this season.They definately frown upon hiking ski trails when there is no snow because the terrain is very sensitive to human erosion.I have many friends that will be there until no snow is left earning their turns.

Angus

I've done it a bunch. I typically park between the tram and zoomer lift. Usually a bunch of folks at top of profile doing the same. Take a run down Profile, hike back up and ski down upper canyon. Most years able to ski top to bottom continuously into first weekend of May.

ironhippy

thinking about doing this next weekend..Angus and others, any other specific tips to hike up Cannon and board down?

I've never been to cannon but some tips for general hiking/riding

Make sure you have your pack sorted before you get there, ensure your board fits and will be comfortable on the way up.
Dress LIGHT for the way up, bring a jacket or something in your pack for the way down. You will work up a sweat on the way up and the cooler you are, the better your day will be.
Be careful of your footing on the way up, if it's steep kick steps in the snow so your next trip up will be easier, if you are sliding down, find a less steep slope.
Sunglasses, if it's sunny the snow will be bright on the way up and the way down
Water, food, etc.