• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Tupper moving forward

AdironRider

I never understood the hullabaloo about this development. Tupper Lake has been on a downward spiral for decades. Literally a mile down the road is a big, abandoned factory type building. The ski area and that whole area of the lake already has the standard 60's development stuff already just sitting there rotting away.

I feel this is one of the best examples of how people who don't live in the Adirondacks screw over locals. Good to see some progress here.

flakeydog

There is interest there. It has run on volunteer efforts for a few years now (off and on) which says a lot. A grass-roots effort opened the place after 10 years of closure. Vandals destroyed the lodge (almost every window broken, tire tracks on the floor where people rode ATVs inside the lodge, etc...) and a lot of the vegetation grew back but they were able to open starting with one lift, then 2. Back in the day, the place was swarming with college kids from St Lawrence, Potsdam, and Paul Smiths along with many locals.

Is it the same town it once was? no, but there are some glimmers of hope. The Wild Center does well and the Brewery scene is bringing a few into the town. Many businesses (or future businesses) are in a holding pattern just waiting for a few scraps to fall from the table before diving in. It will be painfully slow and I am pretty sure this won't be the next Stowe or Big Sky (despite what the plans indicate). As long as skiing returns with a smattering of development, things will get better over there, slowly but surely...

Warp Daddy

Don't hold your breath waiting for BT ski area to be retro fitted . This is all about Real Estate sales . Living an hr away i can tell you this hill is in terrible shape. The volunteers tried but alas it was sub optimal at best and now the regional market THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN has exercised other options . With Whiteface up the road and Titus not far away who has also upgraded its infrastructure and captured most of BT's former regional market ......this will be a stretch .

i wish them luck it WAS a fun place back in the 90's used to hit it 2 days a week but it will be a cold day in hell before they get this done as far as decent skiing is concerned

AdironRider

Titus has gotten updates? Used to night ski there a bunch when I was at SLU. Loved the throwback vibe and everyone just having fun in hunting/snowmobile gear on old fixed grips. Tix were like 15 bucks or something cheap as well which was nice.

Warp Daddy

Titus has gotten updates? Used to night ski there a bunch when I was at SLU. Loved the throwback vibe and everyone just having fun in hunting/snowmobile gear on old fixed grips. Tix were like 15 bucks or something cheap as well which was nice.

New owners , New lodges , new snowmaking gear , new groomers , excellent grooming but no new lifts ( boo). More trails ,some glades . They now hold decent BIG AIR comps and other race venues with the Empire State Games , decent terrain parks for the kids .

Still a family friendly , retro vibe

Smellytele

New owners , New lodges , new snowmaking gear , new groomers , excellent grooming but no new lifts ( boo). More trails ,some glades . They now hold decent BIG AIR comps and other race venues with the Empire State Games , decent terrain parks for the kids .

Still a family friendly , retro vibe

Titus is a fun little mtn. Skied there a few years ago. Liked how it was laid out. skiing over the bridge and i think there was a tunnel also. trails were classic NE style. twisty and off camber from what i remember. I know my GPS got me lost on the way back to LP sending me down some very snow covered dirt roads.

Warp Daddy

Titus is a fun little mtn. Skied there a few years ago. Liked how it was laid out. skiing over the bridge and i think there was a tunnel also. trails were classic NE style. twisty and off camber from what i remember. I know my GPS got me lost on the way back to LP sending me down some very snow covered dirt roads.

GLAD U. Liked it. ST !! Sorry i missed u on that trip !

Yup Titus still has the bridge and tunnel unique and fun to try . It has been my home speed bump for years . They list 1250 vert but thats from upper mtn to the base of peak number 1 . There are 3 peaks and 4 separate venues all Hall Lifts , so a bit slow . but decent terrain true continuous vert on th ehighest peak about 750 to 800 but using the tunnel you can go from the top of the What they call the Upper to the base of the lower mtn or as i call it peak 3 to peak 1 ..

As a sr i ski it for 150 bucks a season so its our regular hill besides monthly trips to either Gore , Whiteface or Tremblant
We also have a bunch of smaller venues in the Gatineau ,just above Ottawa about an hr away .

but Titus makes a great off day trip if you are skiing Whiteface , nice cruisers , trails are very well kept , price is reasonable and NO LINES at all , it's like your private Montana 8)