• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stranded overnight on Gore chairlift

bdfreetuna

"refusing medical treatment" also sounds like not being a dick and planning to sue Gore out of business

Hopefully he gets a seasons pass out of it though

cdskier

I'll never understand how something like this could happen...

Abominable

That's a long, cold night.

But this bit from the article makes it sound like Frozen was a documentary.

"It’s not unprecedented for skiers to get stuck on lifts overnight, locally and at ski areas around the world. A movie titled “Frozen” was made in 2010 about a particularly cold, grueling experience of skiers stranded for hours."

ThinkSnow

That's a long, cold night.

But this bit from the article makes it sound like Frozen was a documentary.

"It’s not unprecedented for skiers to get stuck on lifts overnight, locally and at ski areas around the world. A movie titled “Frozen” was made in 2010 about a particularly cold, grueling experience of skiers stranded for hours."
Agreed. Has anyone been able to watch that entire movie? I tried once, figuring it would be a stupid skiing movie-- and it was-- however it was so bad I couldn't continue past the first 20 minutes.

cdskier

Agreed. Has anyone been able to watch that entire movie? I tried once, figuring it would be a stupid skiing movie-- and it was-- however it was so bad I couldn't continue past the first 20 minutes.

I couldn't make it through the trailer, never mind even trying to watch the movie!

icecoast1

I made it til the end but it was a decision I really regretted. 2 hours of my life wasted that I can never get back

Killingtime

OK I'll admit it. I watched the whole thing. It really went off the rails when wolves starting chasing the people who jumped. I wish I could have that hour and a half back

Glenn

Wow. How does that happen? I'm sure most areas have shutdown procedures. And patrol usually sweeps the hills after last chair. Granted, he could have been above an area that wasn't near a trail.

mikec142

Wow. How does that happen? I'm sure most areas have shutdown procedures. And patrol usually sweeps the hills after last chair. Granted, he could have been above an area that wasn't near a trail.

I have no firsthand knowledge of the procedures that a lift operator follows, but if it were me, I'd decide which was last chair and then not let anyone else on the lift and run the lift until that chair came back around. Sounds pretty simple to me.

Smellytele

I have no firsthand knowledge of the procedures that a lift operator follows, but if it were me, I'd decide which was last chair and then not let anyone else on the lift and run the lift until that chair came back around. Sounds pretty simple to me.

A lot of areas put a cone on the last chair and don't let anyone on after that then they shut it down when the cone gets to the top or when the upper liftie gets down after the cone makes it to the top.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
A lot of areas put a cone on the last chair and don't let anyone on after that then they shut it down when the cone gets to the top or when the upper liftie gets down after the cone makes it to the top.

I've seen a sign used "Last Chair" lifty on top removes it .

Some "Yacht Music " might have saved him .

benski

mikec142

But Killington is ran by a big corporation who had already pissed everyone off. There reputation for screwing the lifetime pass holders, and running Killington on the Cheep may have hurt there case.

Gore has a huge corporation behind it that has pissed people off...it's called The State of New York. ;)

SkiFanE

This was not the worst ski movie, but the worst movie ever. Watched DVD, fell asleep and there were 3 people on lift, woke up and there were only 2. Missed the coyote scene - and then I think we stopped movie.

Whenever i I dress for skiing I dress for being stuck 30 mins on ski chair. Works pretty well - but not for a night - that would be miserable. Kids sometimes take my advice, was good when I could dress them myself - always worry about my little one being cold - he refuses to wear a neck gator - no matter the wind or cold. Pisses me off lol.