• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Rules

nhskier1969

Not sure why this is a thing. Did Sugurbush only have money to buy 1/2 of a system?

Of all the places I've skied that have RFID (about 10 I'd guess) Sugarbush is the only one I can think of where you must have the card on 1 particular side of your body.

Sugarbush was also the only one where having anything else in the pocket could short-circuit the whole thing, but that's another issue.

Its not their system is the skiers using it. You will see people stuck trying to get thru all the time. The attendant will come over and ask if they have anything in their pocket with the card and 9/10 times the skier has their phone or credit card in same pocket.

cdskier

They are what? I do not understand.

He's being a wise-ass and saying they are using their phone because technically they're using the phone to send the text. Your intention though was that they should use the phone to CALL instead of text (and I agree a call is better for something like that in most cases)

skiur

I can dig most of these rules. Especially the ones about showing up on time and having your Sh*t together. I do early ups at Sugarbush so I park in the front row, put my boots on at the car and I am on the lift at 7:30. No mess, no lines and always awesome quiet runs with no other People.

My biggest hang up is with the millennial crowd that absolutely must use texting as communication. If you are late or are planning on meeting up with someone use the phone! That way you can have a communication of where you are, what the plan is, where and when you will meet and a back up plan if all else fails. I have never effectively communicated by texting to meet up with people.

Have to disagree with that one, I'm no millennial but texting is such a better way of communication than talking on the phone, if I miss a call I missed it, but a text is there waiting for me when I get to it. I can put the plan, where and when and anything else into a text, and if the person I wanna talk to is say skiing and can't answer the phone, then they have all the info to read in a text when they get to the lift. I hate talking on the phone.

abc

Have to disagree with that one, I'm no millennial but texting is such a better way of communication than talking on the phone, if I miss a call I missed it, but a text is there waiting for me when I get to it. I can put the plan, where and when and anything else into a text, and if the person I wanna talk to is say skiing and can't answer the phone, then they have all the info to read in a text when they get to the lift. I hate talking on the phone.
But...

Are you a millennial ?

Edd

My biggest hang up is with the millennial crowd that absolutely must use texting as communication. If you are late or are planning on meeting up with someone use the phone! That way you can have a communication of where you are, what the plan is, where and when you will meet and a back up plan if all else fails. I have never effectively communicated by texting to meet up with people.

Texting is a far more efficient method of communication for me. Less dead silence and useless words. I’m Gen X for sure.

BenedictGomez

Its not their system is the skiers using it. You will see people stuck trying to get thru all the time. The attendant will come over and ask if they have anything in their pocket with the card and 9/10 times the skier has their phone or credit card in same pocket.

Well that is on Sugarbush's system.

At other places I can have my credit card, driver's license, a few Andrew Jackson's to make it rain with, chapstick, etc.... in my pocket, and it does nothing to stop the gates from reading my RFID card.

The only place I've been where anything in addition to the lift ticket being in my pocket fouls everything up is at Sugarbush. My guess is this has to do with Sugarbush having only 50% receiver capacity compared to all the other RFID resorts I mentioned.

Have to disagree with that one, I'm no millennial but texting is such a better way of communication than talking on the phone, if I miss a call I missed it, but a text is there waiting for me when I get to it.

Agreed.

Jully

Well that is on Sugarbush's system.

At other places I can have my credit card, driver's license, a few Andrew Jackson's to make it rain with, chapstick, etc.... in my pocket, and it does nothing to stop the gates from reading my RFID card.

The only place I've been where anything in addition to the lift ticket being in my pocket fouls everything up is at Sugarbush. My guess is this has to do with Sugarbush having only 50% receiver capacity compared to all the other RFID resorts I mentioned.

Agreed.

At Sunpee, WP, and Okemo this year my pass wasn't read in a pocket all by itself but on the inside of my jacket. Moved it to an empty outside pocket and it still didnt work.

Always worked fine there at Wachusett though. Sounds system dependent for sure, but I would doubt SB's is any worse than okemo/Sunapee.

abc

The problem with texting is it can be a long while before the recipient notice there's a text waiting. (Though the same problem can also be with phone calls. Poor reception etc...)

If you're already late, asking others who were on time to keep checking their text is not going to go over well.

cdskier

The problem with texting is it can be a long while before the recipient notice there's a text waiting. (Though the same problem can also be with phone calls. Poor reception etc...)

If you're already late, asking others who were on time to keep checking their text is not going to go over well.

And another problem is if people give incomplete information.
Bad Example:
"I'll meet you at the lift in 5"
"Which lift?"
"The one at the base by the lodge"
"Which base? Which lodge? Which lift exactly? There's multiple lifts"

Not efficient at all if it goes something like that...

Now if someone gives full info up front, that's different...
Good example:
"I'm booting up in the Lincoln Peak parking lot and will be at the base of Super Bravo in 5 minutes"

kingslug

Bad Example:
"Which lift?"

Good example:
"I'm booting up in the Lincoln Peak parking lot and will be at the base of Super Bravo in 5 minutes"
Try that at Vail or Jackson

Hawk

Bad Example:
"Which lift?"

Good example:

This is exactly what I am talking about and it happens all the time. People are idiots when they text. There are usually no details with texting and the time it takes to type all the details far exceeds the time it takes to have a quick phone call. Also if I am waiting for someone to call I stop and pick it up. I don't miss calls. I miss texts all the time and by the time I see them the info is outdated. I just don't do texts, F*ck that and that culture altogether.

abc

Bad Example:
"Which lift?"

Good example:
"in 5 minutes"...

By the time the text got read, it should be read 5 minutes AGO!

Or 15 minutes ago...

abc

OP's rule maybe a bit strict. But it's probably born from many such frustrating experience. Trying to meet up once part of the group had gone up the mountain takes very good communication skill and optimal cell signal. A lot of the times, it's an exercise in futility.

Once I'm on the mountain, I'll tolerate 2 (max 3) text messages. If we still don't hook up by that point, I'm just going to ski without you. I'm not going to keep on looking at my phone no more!

bdfreetuna

You can buy the gates with a single antenna or double antenna from this particular vendor (Jay Peak uses the same vendor that Sugarbush does according to the vendor's website). This is also the same vendor I believe that Killington is going with for next year.

I really don't see it as a big deal as long as it is clearly communicated (which it is at Sugarbush).

FWIW it seemed to me that Jay possibly upgraded their system recently? I'm not aware of any such upgrade, but the gates opened very quickly and reliably for me the last couple days up there. The only funky one was at the Tram which had a garbage bag over one side. All the regular lifts you could basically go through at 5 MPH.

skiur

This is exactly what I am talking about and it happens all the time. People are idiots when they text. There are usually no details with texting and the time it takes to type all the details far exceeds the time it takes to have a quick phone call. Also if I am waiting for someone to call I stop and pick it up. I don't miss calls. I miss texts all the time and by the time I see them the info is outdated. I just don't do texts, F*ck that and that culture altogether.

It a culture now, I'm a part of the text cult. Jeez

kingslug

My father was always early..so i learned from him...worked great at keg parties..i would show up super early..help haul the kegs..set them up..then run them..no waiting in line all night for a beer...
Airports too..always get overhead luggage spot..always laugh at the people who show up last and wonder why theres no room for their stuff...um..you were last on the plane...

bdfreetuna

My father was always early..so i learned from him...worked great at keg parties..i would show up super early..help haul the kegs..set them up..then run them..no waiting in line all night for a beer...
Airports too..always get overhead luggage spot..always laugh at the people who show up last and wonder why theres no room for their stuff...um..you were last on the plane...

Maybe you sit in first class and don't notice but the rest of us board the plane depending on Group #.

Good lesson from your Dad tho, not knocking it.

I would rather start early and be fully satisfied by 2:00 PM, and then decide if I want to take a few more choice runs or if my legs are shot. I used to show up late and ski 'till closing bell. Only a decent plan in spring though.

prsboogie

Not sure why this is a thing. Did Sugurbush only have money to buy 1/2 of a system?

Of all the places I've skied that have RFID (about 10 I'd guess) Sugarbush is the only one I can think of where you must have the card on 1 particular side of your body.

Sugarbush was also the only one where having anything else in the pocket could short-circuit the whole thing, but that's another issue.
I've been to several places with RFID readers and they all say the card needs to be in a lone pocket, especially away from electronics. Never heard about a specific side though

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

abc

Maybe you sit in first class and don't notice but the rest of us board the plane depending on Group #.
Or how quickly you can check-in ONLINE the day before, if flying Southwest.

I can't help but to detect a lot of out-of-date argument to support a personal habit that doesn't need supporting.

I don't impose my habit on others. If our habits match, we ski together. If not, we ski on our own and meet up for apres. If it's half way matching, AND there's a will to modify it on each side to make it work, it'll either happen, or NOT.

I think the problem is some people agree to something but not stick to it. I have very little patience for people like that. First time missing the meet up time, you get a pass. 2nd time miss, you'd better have a real good excuse, without which there wouldn't be a 3rd time of "plan". Because I don't think you'll be there based on the 2 fails prior.

I tend NOT to get frustrated too easily, because I avoid the situation to start with.