• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Rules

BenedictGomez

Talk about rules...now that Stowe is owned by Vail theres signs all over saying..No snowballs..and..police in the lodge for all the closing days rowdy behavior. A local says this is a first and no alcohol at the octogon at the top. Welcome..to Vail.

Saw this posted on Facebook. Unreal.

That came up in multiple conversations too... each time attributed as being 'necessary' for the first time due to the increased NYC/NJ presence this year. Let's hope their efforts work before we lose another mountain like we lost Kmart due to similar demographics and behavior.

This came up in what "multiple conversations" with whom?

Also, do you not live in Boston as your location parameter is set to?

NYDB

That came up in multiple conversations too... each time attributed as being 'necessary' for the first time due to the increased NYC/NJ presence this year. Let's hope their efforts work before we lose another mountain like we lost Kmart due to similar demographics and behavior.

Could this guy be a bigger asshat?

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I don't understand that ^^ comment.

How is Kmart lost? You want a mountain in the northeast that is going to push the season at both ends and you expect them not to bring in as many skiers as possible?

Anyone see the commercial Alicia Alba's did for Pico:

https://www.facebook.com/picomountain/videos/10157359720361110/

This is gold for Pico. An NYC mom saying Pico is their "go to" place to get away. That's what they are after.

Not surprised Vail is trying to change or remove the local culture. Apparently they canned some people last week (on patrol I think) that have been with the mountain for many years. Some serious crankiness about that.

abc

One rule I enforce upon myself. The fun time has to be equal to or greater than the travel time.
Depends on where one lives, that rule gets violated all the time.

For us flatlander, if I follow that rule, I'd probably ski half as much as I do now.

Way back when I lived in the sticks, I drove 2 hours one way to attend concerts (~3 hrs?) at the nearest city.

I still use that same criteria to gauge whether I REALLY want to go or not go. But I know I'd frequently violate that rule when condition warrants it.

Example, Stratton is a bit shy of 4 hrs each way. When they got that 30" dump? I went up and had one of my best day in the east. I did stayed for 2 days on that trip. But even if it were for a single day, I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

kingslug

Well yesterday we drove 5 hours but ended up skiing 5 runs..but today was pretty good but suddenly got crowded at 1130..so we where done as 3.5 hours in freezing rain was enough. Then on to the variouse interesting shops and drinking establishments. VT cider had a little party going, drank some rather seriouse cider..15% ..felt that today.

Domeskier

If there’s one thing I’ve always wanted resorts to crack down on, it has to be all those people throwing snowballs...

Edd

If there’s one thing I’ve always wanted resorts to crack down on, it has to be all those people throwing snowballs...

Agreed. Mind you, I’ve never seen that happen in my roughly 17 straight years of skiing every week during the season, but this snowball thing has been driving me insane.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have a college buddy who lives in Denver and skis at Winterpark. He shared a video last week of a massive snowball fight in a huge Mt Snowesque liftline. Perhaps it's a springtime Colorado tradition?

Either way, Vail looks like severe party poopers with those signs

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Isn't this the guy who went off on epic rants about people who make generalized comments about tele turns and tele skiers?

Then he trashes all of NY/NJ. Douchenozzle.

And claimed AlpineZone is an anti-telemark forum! As if we care enough about tele to even think to be anti-tele.

I'm just amazed they spent that money on custom eisel signs.

At any rate, this has backfired spectacularly; I'm amazed how viral these no snowball fights & no alcohol pics have become in literally just a few days. Pretty much every serious east coast skier's seen it. I'm sure "Vail Resorts are no fun" isnt the message their marketing team wants broadcast, especially given, "sucking east coasters out west" is a decent chunk of their business model.

cdskier

Huh? What do NYC/NJ people have to do with this? Sure there are some asses from NJ/NYC, just as there are some asses in Boston and MA and anywhere else. There are good and bad people everywhere. Sounds like BS to me...

skiur

How did you lose Kmart? Where the hell have I been skiing every weekend if k is gone?

Domeskier

Huh? What do NYC/NJ people have to do with this? Sure there are some asses from NJ/NYC, just as there are some asses in Boston and MA and anywhere else. There are good and bad people everywhere. Sounds like BS to me...

I heard the real problem is the rural poor who can now afford to telemark there but don't know how to behave themselves around large crowds of people.

BenedictGomez

I heard the real problem is the rural poor who can now afford to telemark there but don't know how to behave themselves around large crowds of people.

Would those be the folks who drink beer whilst throwing snowballs?

The savages must be tamed.

chuckstah

I violated this rule big time today. I went to the mountain, only had the Chondola running. I took one run down and had to scrape my goggles 4 times so I could see. Freezing rain.... One and done. And that is a wrap for my season, 98 days, average of almost 4 hours a day.
Midweek passes are valid on the final 2 weekend's. You gotta get to 100 days.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app