• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

where are we going this weekend?

KustyTheKlown

If you have time off till end of the month, fly out to Reno and go to Mammoth. Ski all morning till early afternoon, go for a hike late afternoon, a majestic time of year to be out there. I guarantee you won't regret it.

sheeeeeet that's a good idea. I think my ikon is good there right now.

Jcb890

I just accepted a new job (not the vail job I previously mentioned. I am staying in nyc), but I end next Friday and don't start the new one until 5/29 or 6/4 (tbd). I hope killington can keep it going thru memorial day weekend so I can log one more day. im also thinking about maybe flying out to co to ski basin/Loveland and see the disco biscuits at red rocks.
Congrats! Bummer about the Vail job, but perhaps this is a better fit, better situation or a position you wanted more? That's how things often pan out... hopefully at least.

KustyTheKlown

moving to Colorado was a tall order. this disrupts my life a lot less. slightly more money. non-lawyer position with a company that provides practice management and document automation software to small firms and solos. not sales. not commission based. management level. new-ish company in the US but well established in AUS and the UK, so a start-up culture with an established international history and money behind them. very pleased. I found them for one position, did a phone interview, they said "this is too junior for you, come meet us in person to talk about a more senior role." I went in last Thursday to talk about position #2, and they tell me they're considering fast-tracking me into an even more senior management level role, come back tomorrow to meet COO. met COO last Friday to discuss the management role. got an oral offer with paperwork to follow this Monday. they liked me enough to give me 2 promotions in the interview process and then invited me to join them one business day after the final interview. nice to feel valued/wanted.

Domeskier

moving to Colorado was a tall order. this disrupts my life a lot less. slightly more money. non-lawyer position with a company that provides practice management and document automation software to small firms and solos. not sales. not commission based. management level. new-ish company in the US but well established in AUS and the UK, so a start-up culture with an established international history and money behind them. very pleased. I found them for one position, did a phone interview, they said "this is too junior for you, come meet us in person to talk about a more senior role." I went in last Thursday to talk about position #2, and they tell me they're considering fast-tracking me into an even more senior management level role, come back tomorrow to meet COO. met COO last Friday to discuss the management role. got an oral offer with paperwork to follow this Monday. they liked me enough to give me 2 promotions in the interview process and then invited me to join them one business day after the final interview. nice to feel valued/wanted.

Nice. Congrats. I hope you negotiated the ability to work remotely during ski season!

KustyTheKlown

^I wish. but, they are currently in NY and NJ and are rolling out in MA right now. CT, RI, VT, NH, ME are the next targets. They want to establish in New England before pushing south/west. There will absolutely be work related trips to the Boston area, and whenever I can swing that on a Friday, would be a nice head start to ski the maine places. they also give me a decent vehicle allowance because the job will often be in the field.

Jcb890

Overall that sounds like a win. Nice job and congrats! No sales and no commission is great if that's where you were coming from before.
It sounds interesting and definitely a great feeling for sure.

KustyTheKlown

Overall that sounds like a win. Nice job and congrats! No sales and no commission is great if that's where you were coming from before.
It sounds interesting and definitely a great feeling for sure.

I'm a lawyer who hates being a lawyer and I've never felt like I was very good at it. the other job I was seriously considering was an attorney recruiting role, which was potentially very lucrative, but was essentially sales with a draw against commission, and that scared the balls out of me. the job I took values my law degree and experience since I will be interfacing with the customers who are all lawyers, but its not my job to pitch them and sell it to them. I will be managing a team of 6-9 internal consultants who assist the clients with installation, implementation, training, and ongoing relationships.

I've never managed people (aside from a research analyst and paralegal, but they didn't truly report to me), so I've ordered a few management books from amazon and intend to delve in deeply during the gap between the two jobs.

Jcb890

I'm a lawyer who hates being a lawyer and I've never felt like I was very good at it. the other job I was seriously considering was an attorney recruiting role, which was potentially very lucrative, but was essentially sales with a draw against commission, and that scared the balls out of me. the job I took values my law degree and experience since I will be interfacing with the customers who are all lawyers, but its not my job to pitch them and sell it to them. I will be managing a team of 6-9 internal consultants who assist the clients with installation, implementation, training, and ongoing relationships.

I've never managed people (aside from a research analyst and paralegal, but they didn't truly report to me), so I've ordered a few management books from amazon and intend to delve in deeply during the gap between the two jobs.
Ahhhhh. Very interesting.

Managing people is very interesting and different. What did you order for books?
I highly recommend ENDURANCE - Shackelton's Incredible Voyage:
https://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Shackletons-Incredible-Alfred-Lansing/dp/0465062881

If you don't read the whole book, the story of the voyage itself is helpful and you can probably get the gist of it from researching online. It isn't a Management How To book, it is a story about a voyage, but contains great lessons.

KustyTheKlown

I ordered "Leaders Eat Last" and "The New One Minute Manager", both recommendations from friends who have management jobs.

Jcb890

I ordered "Leaders Eat Last" and "The New One Minute Manager", both recommendations from friends who have management jobs.
Great suggestions. Shackelton's story you can read up on and then decide if you want the book once you get the gist of the story and determine you want to find out more.

Glenn

Best of luck! Sounds like a good role. And you had a really good interview experience.

Managing people can be very rewarding. It has its challenges, but there's nothing like working with a solid group of people.

kingslug

Ahhhh..management...hope you like it, you might. Sounds like a good move since you don't like your present one. Me..I hate managing people.

machski

If anyone is going to Killington tomorrow or Sunday, its still pretty good. Superstar and Skyelark plus high road to lower Bittersweet still in play. Launch Pad is in too to change things up off Superstar. Upper Bitter was open but it has several breaks in the snow (mostly grass if you want to just scoot over instead of carrying). Upper SS has been patched up, but the base is gone and the patch job started to wear a bit by 330pm today (pretty good turnout for a Friday). They still have plenty of snow at the crown of SS and Gateway has a boat load too, they have more they can work with. The balance of SS is chuck full still, even Preston's pitch (absolutely no sign of the S forming yet). They did a great job building the load in and out of the quad, though the load is pretty narrow (think triple abreast at best). Had a blast today.

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app