• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

where are we going this weekend?

makimono

Looks like Wildcat Sunday for me! just bought the ticket on liftopia...it's a long day trip from where I live now but I'm psyched, haven't been up to the cat in about a decade.

Teleskier

Better that than your spreading of totally false information (i.e. "the State of Vermont told Stowe to close").

Sorry - but I was accurately reporting the facts. I asked multiple staff at the mountain, and simply reported what I heard, and that what I heard was the same answer from everyone. I said no more, I said no less.

I cared enough to ask them... and thought I was doing a favor sharing it here.

On the other side, what I see, is pure wild speculation stated as 'proof' - and that seems to happen a lot here. "It was probably Vail this" and "probably Vail that"... and now your "spreading of totally false information" formal conclusion stated as proof.

I'm a skier sharing in a skiing forum. I'm not an Pulitzer-awarded investigative journalist such as these lauded contributors to society http://www.pulitzer.org/winners/boston-globe-1.

Note I never used your strong "conclusion" words such as "proof." It was a "as heard on the mountain" piece.

I don't know the true inside-the-corporate-office story with proof of an email, but I never said I did.

You, on the other hand, likewise don't know the true inside-the-corporate-office story with proof of an email, but formally state that a suggested park closure date from the state, as the employees understood it, was "totally false information".

I'm calling BS on that.

If you have "Boston Globe"-level journalistic proof that Vail ordered the close date as a way to screw skiers, feel free to share it.

Kleetus

I don't love either..the NY crowd at Snow is manic. Okemo has too many transitions and not a nice flow to the trails for a boarder. If I HAD to pick, I'd pick Snow. Parking at Okemo is a ^%$#@

I wouldn't think the crowds or parking would be an issue this weekend. It's so late in the season, only the serious skier crowd is left at this point.

As for terrain, I'm not overly a big fan of either place. That being said, if Mt. Snow wasn't a 4 hour drive from me and I just got back from Tahoe/Work in SFO yesterday, I'd prob hit Snow over Okemo just because the North Face has some decent terrain and bumps this point in the season IMO.

SnowRock

Yeah.. i mean we are talking about April 21st so not worried about crowds or terrain (in as much as I know the deal with both) at this point. Was more a... which is setting up nicer with how much is open/coverage question if anyone had been to either recently. Just want to get up for a final hurrah.

Ending up skipping Stowe closing last weekend, too bad they aren't spinning this weekend because it looks like it would be fun up there.

Last edited:

graniterider

I’m heading to Snow Saturday. I was at Okemo 2 weeks ago for their last “fully open” weekend. I hung mostly to the Main Face area and knowing that’s the only terrain accessible, I’m not interested in going back. I think if you really look at the map, there’s really not much variety left there, Snow seems to be the better option imo.

abc

I was thinking K over Okemo because Okemo is lower altitude and there was some precipitation before the weekend. But that seems to be a non-event now.
The lower altitude might actually be a good thing. This weekend is still kind of cold...

sull1102

Highly recommend Snow having spent today and the last two days on snow there. Just about everything is open, except Sunbrook. Carinthia is really nice right now and they've started to take down features here and there leaving some more space for non park skiers. They really did pick up a good couple inches last night and another the day before that leaving everything really nice.

Sent from my Z983 using AlpineZone mobile app

Teleskier

Sorry - but I was accurately reporting the facts. I asked multiple staff at the mountain, and simply reported what I heard, and that what I heard was the same answer from everyone. I said no more, I said no less

Except you weren’t. Just because somebody said it does not make it a fact.

It's at times like these that make me worry that US democracy has no hope if people can't parse news reporting.

The TRUE FACT was that employees had said what they said. That is a truthful fact. As I reported it.

I think what you're trying to say is that just because an employee said XYZ, doesn't make it the TRUE reason for the date (ie, same proof as an internal memo).

But the FACT they said it - is true.

Personally I'd take the word of what multiple staff told me in earnest, even given the possibly that they were themselves misled, over some anonymous people on the internet with an obvious axe to grind.

IE - my sarcasm that Vail must be behind Kmart closing terrain early too - is just as nonsensical. But feel free to continue trading in conspiracy theories. That is apparently more fun to some than trying to get to the truth.

bdfreetuna

It's at times like these that make me worry that US democracy has no hope if people can't parse news reporting.

Actually a Constitutional Representative Republic.

Other correct answers: Constitutional Federal Republic, or "Free and Republican Government" (the phrasing used in the Constitution).

Democracy is just mob rule by the 51% imposing their will on everyone else. Our forefathers avoided that mess in their wisdom. Instead our country focuses on recognizing the natural (God-given) rights of the individual which cannot be overridden by the whims of the majority, times and seasons.

BenedictGomez

Sorry - but I was accurately reporting the facts. I asked multiple staff at the mountain, and simply reported what I heard, and that what I heard was the same answer from everyone. I said no more, I said no less.

I cared enough to ask them... and thought I was doing a favor sharing it here.

On the other side, what I see, is pure wild speculation stated as 'proof' - and that seems to happen a lot here. "It was probably Vail this" and "probably Vail that"... and now your "spreading of totally false information" formal conclusion stated as proof.

I'm a skier sharing in a skiing forum. I'm not an Pulitzer-awarded investigative journalist such as these lauded contributors to society http://www.pulitzer.org/winners/boston-globe-1.

Note I never used your strong "conclusion" words such as "proof." It was a "as heard on the mountain" piece.

I don't know the true inside-the-corporate-office story with proof of an email, but I never said I did.

You, on the other hand, likewise don't know the true inside-the-corporate-office story with proof of an email, but formally state that a suggested park closure date from the state, as the employees understood it, was "totally false information".

I'm calling BS on that.

If you have "Boston Globe"-level journalistic proof that Vail ordered the close date as a way to screw skiers, feel free to share it.

Wow.

This is a long, rambling, tortuously & torturously-involved, tiring, effort to simply admit you were wrong.

Teleskier

Wow.

I know this is 'winner takes all' America, but not EVERY SINGLE THING has to always be a hyper-competitive joust match where someone has to "win" at all costs. What people eat for lunch, what they ski, how they ski, etc.

Clearly it's total news to your hyper-combative POV (you only share 'to win'??) that I wasn't trying to 'win' anything here.

But congratulations if you feel that you did. It can go in your trophy room.

drjeff

Currently in Southwest Florida... Flight to Providence tomorrow. Quick stop at home in CT to grab some warmer clothing than what I brought to FL!! Then up to Mount Snow tomorrow evening for their closing day on Sunday..

Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

gladerider

hitting da big K tomorrow and maybe Okemo on sunday. Okemo is not my cup of tea but may do it coz i have not been there in such a long time. i would kit K again on sunday if i had anymore days left on my maxpass though.

MommaBear

Tried to hit the big k but the park and hike was too much for this gal's old legs. Place is packed.