• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

where are we going this weekend?

KustyTheKlown

trees are done, still waist deep up high, but too many pine needles and sticks. However, the bumps and trails are great. Canyon, Escapade, SS, Vert, Low Road, Ovation, Sky Hawk all primo

strong disagree. skied killington Saturday. hiked Snowdon for patsy's and low rider. ducked ropes on anarchy and Julio. skied somewhere/nowhere which was legit open. skied the woods skiers right of lower superstar and skiers left of east fall as well.

anarchy and Julio lost snow at the lowest steep pitch and I needed to hike out of anarchy and traverse out of Julio to ovation. otherwise the woods were in shockingly good shape.

amazing day for april 28.

Zand

strong disagree. skied killington Saturday. hiked Snowdon for patsy's and low rider. ducked ropes on anarchy and Julio. skied somewhere/nowhere which was legit open. skied the woods skiers right of lower superstar and skiers left of east fall as well.

anarchy and Julio lost snow at the lowest steep pitch and I needed to hike out of anarchy and traverse out of Julio to ovation. otherwise the woods were in shockingly good shape.

amazing day for april 28.

Damn wish I could've had this report before yesterday...I would've gone up in the rain. Thought the woods were done based on other reports.

skiMEbike

Reporting back from the Loaf....Still Epic !!

In a little over a week's time, the Loaf went from Wall to Wall coverage to what I'd consider "normal Mid April conditions"....Most everything below spillway XCut is still open (Except for a few glades). They were able to still run Timberline with some lines to be had off the front face. Everything is still skiing great, just now you need to pay attention a bit more to open/bare spots. Powder Keg, Bubblecuffer, Skidder, and Misery Whip were the runs of the weekend, and I expect them to still be in great shape next weekend.

This coming Saturday & Sunday will be the Loaf's last lift-serviced days of the season with only $25 lift tickets....I expect similar conditions to this past weekend (leave the rock skis at home...unless you want to hit some woods/au natural trails). (While there hasn't been any "official" announcement) I suspect they will only run SQuad, but wouldn't rule out Timberline or Skyline as they have the snow to run them.

KustyTheKlown

Hmm..worth a 1 day trip Saturday??? looooong day

was worth it this past Saturday. may not be worth it this Saturday with heavily reduced terrain (only superstar pod for rest of season). as of now it says sunny and 62 tho.

i have 2 max pass K days left. i have plans this weekend. next weekend is mother's day. i may finish my season the 19th and 20th.

edit - i now realize you were talking about sugarloaf. that's a long ass day trip my man.

Jcb890

Sugarloaf is too long of a day trip for me.
I did a day trip to Jay Peak once - 4 hrs 15 mins or so... that was doable, but never again. The ride up and riding all day isn't that bad, its the ride home after being exhausted skiing/riding that is just brutal.

Over 4 hours and I'm out of the day-trip mix.

was worth it this past Saturday. may not be worth it this Saturday with heavily reduced terrain (only superstar pod for rest of season). as of now it says sunny and 62 tho.

i have 2 max pass K days left. i have plans this weekend. next weekend is mother's day. i may finish my season the 19th and 20th.

edit - i now realize you were talking about sugarloaf. that's a long ass day trip my man.
Got 1 more K MAX Pass day left... thinking about this Saturday or Sunday while it is still the Superstar POD and not just the 1 trail.

kingslug

Could always go to K friday night and snooze..then the ride back saturday isn't so bad..4 hours. or just call it and switch to car show mode. Will be hanging out at Stowe all off season though.

skiur

Hike from the top of superstar to the canyon is a short 15-20 min up a relatively flat launch pad. Still a ton of snow up there and the run-out is even in decent shape. Can easily be done 2 or 3 times in a day, bring some beers and a sandwich and have lunch up there.

Smellytele

Hike from the top of superstar to the canyon is a short 15-20 min up a relatively flat launch pad. Still a ton of snow up there and the run-out is even in decent shape. Can easily be done 2 or 3 times in a day, bring some beers and a sandwich and have lunch up there.

If you have a season pass but don't want to walk to skiing and get only 3 runs in for $70.

The Sneak

Car show? are you the dude with the Corvette?

I worked with an ex division 1 college running back who drove a yellow C5 vette convertible. Among his many sayings was "the vette gets 'em wet" (which he took from a movie), and also, pantomiming initiating @n@l sex - replete with gestures and hip thrust..."accept it!"

He was a character. He was like 'The Rock' of Bridgewater MA.

skiMEbike

Hmm..worth a 1 day trip Saturday??? looooong day

I assume u are talking about Sugarloaf...Easy for me to say (from the guy who only has to travel 2 hours to get there): "Yes of course it is worth it."

The one thing that might hold me back is if they only run SQuad...It would be a shame to not be able to ski from Spillway X-Cut. They have already announced Timberline is done for the year so don't count on that (plus not sure the extensions will really be in play come this weekend anyways...it was pretty spotty on some this past weekend-except for Powder Keg). It is definitely some of the better late season conditions at the Loaf (in recent memory) that I've seen for this time of year.

kingslug

yup..but to be honest driving around CT is somewhat boring. Gone are the days when you could floor it. The car/air shows are interesting though. Got to see a B17 flying around..that was pretty cool. NOTHING replaces skiing for me though. Only thing comes close was racing my bikes..gone are those days too.

skiur

If you have a season pass but don't want to walk to skiing and get only 3 runs in for $70.

$70 is the walk up rate, if u go to the website right now and purchase a ticket for Saturday it would cost $39

chuckstah

I'm thinking K tomorrow. There's still enough on the SS pod to keep most people happy. As for hiking to the canyon, I usually do it 2-3 times per day while it's good. It takes about a half hour per lap if the runout is intact, and obviously a bit longer with a hike out A late morning canyon lap with a beer and lunch up top, and a last run of the day lap don't cut into my ski day much at all as last chair probably won't happen either way. Hopefully the runout is still mostly good.