• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hiking up, boarding down...where April 29 weekend?

bdfreetuna

Why not just ski Wildcat top to bottom all day ($)? I presume this will still be the case.

Otherwise I think you quite obviously go across the road to Tucks or Gulf of Slides. If you can drag/carry your board a couple miles, and then another mile/steep per run on packed in boot tracks, you'll be rewarded with something exceptional.

If you're only looking for a single hike up / board down... options like King Ravine on Mt Adams come into play. At least at Tucks / Gulf of Slides you should be able to get a few runs before day's over.

Not sure of the snowpack on Ammonoosuc side of things but once you get 1000 feet up there, you can ski repeated 1000+ foot vert runs on some pretty open exposures, none of which I'd call extreme steeps but certainly a lot of rad terrain over there too. The ease of access to good terrain might be slightly less than Tucks.

Otherwise you can hike to the top of Cannon in like 2 miles, in a scenic fashion taboot.

If you're hiking I figure why not ski something not lift accessible though.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Thing about Tucks / Gulf is it's not too advanced for anybody who can handle the "blue/black" Shelburne Trail down to Pinkham Notch.

Once you get to Hermit Lake Shelter area... about 2 miles/ 2 hours from the bottom... you can really ski/ride anything in any direction. You can easily hike up to Lunch Rocks and board down from there.

I would think the scenery and options available (everything from short and sweet to all the way up, various ways, and steep) make it ideal for your adventure. Obviously if you hike all the way up the Headwall or Hillman's Highway you will know you are hiking up something gnar and just drop in before it gets too crazy.

I haven't even skied Tucks yet, but hiked up there a lot all times of year... I'm basically saving this for my kid(s) to be old enough to go up.

Main point... Tuckerman's is going to be a giant ass skiable bowl with a dozen ways down, and you don't have to go all the way up. Go, explore, push your limits a bit... if it starts looking hairy, just drop in where you are! ... take photos for AlpineZone!

bdfreetuna

Wildcat is at 100%... forget about busting your ass to ski and ride. Wildcat will be at 100% open and spring conditions this weekend.

I only leave them out of my equation because it's super inconvenient for my drive. From Boston area? Go to Wildcat!! Both days!

JDMRoma

thanks so much...Wildcat is surely an idea..we are taking this as day trip and Cannon is closest. Tucks and GOS too advanced for me..my bf could do it for sure...thanks for the tips..super appreciative..

I stopped by Cannon last Saturday morning on my way to Wildcat, they still have tons of snow.there was a couple of inches of fresh and plenty of tracks coming down the front 5. So I would say Cannon is definitely do able and will be for a while !