• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski the East

kingslug

Amazing but i was missing the east out here in Utah. So much snow but not a hell if a lot to really ski. Conditions are pretty manky. No woods in play..super icy mornings then you a have about a 3 hour window to hit it before it turns to glue. And no moguls. So..while a lot of people think its all great out here..it can be ..less.
But yes..you can rip 3k groomers and rack up 40k vertical..and if you hit it right you can drop some decent steeps. But i got a little bored after hitting the same runs again and again. Its only just starting to corn up.
In the airport now..time to come home.
Yes..it was fun though..its my favorite place on earth20180422_104918(0).jpg

abc

Spring skiing is always like that. 30-45 minuets in each pod between ice and mank.

I guess mogul fields are better because each side of the mogul is its own mini-slope that softens at different time. So it skis differently every hr or so.

kingslug

It was just pretty funny as we rode the chairs staring at thousands of acres..of unskiable snow. Every time we would try some..it was pretty hard to get through. Everyone was on the groomers most of the time..until it was just right..then dive in. The views are what makes it. Bluebird days..

BenedictGomez

By Utah standards wasnt this a pretty crappy season?

I recall it being crappy early, then eventually I think they had maybe a 1 month stretch where it was really good, but I guess their base just never recovered it seems.

bdfreetuna

Looks great to me... but I'm also in the East side camp (much prefer Eastern tree skiing to anything else)... nice to go out West once in a while and try something different though.

Our next family ski vacation that involves something new/different will be Le Massif & Mont Saint Anne

thetrailboss

Staff member
Amazing but i was missing the east out here in Utah. So much snow but not a hell if a lot to really ski. Conditions are pretty manky. No woods in play..super icy mornings then you a have about a 3 hour window to hit it before it turns to glue. And no moguls. So..while a lot of people think its all great out here..it can be ..less.
But yes..you can rip 3k groomers and rack up 40k vertical..and if you hit it right you can drop some decent steeps. But i got a little bored after hitting the same runs again and again. Its only just starting to corn up.
In the airport now..time to come home.
Yes..it was fun though..its my favorite place on earthView attachment 23835

So is spring skiing. At least we have snow....now. I was in trial prep this weekend, so you did more skiing than I did!

thetrailboss

Staff member
By Utah standards wasnt this a pretty crappy season?

I recall it being crappy early, then eventually I think they had maybe a 1 month stretch where it was really good, but I guess their base just never recovered it seems.

YES.

We only had about 6-8 weeks of constant storms that made up some ground, but we are still 100" below average.

machski

Mount Bachelor is below average but skiing great still, totally covered. Different than the east, but you don't get to pick any direction of 360°, point them down and rip in the East unless you hike/skin. Just awesome out here, moguls will be in the East when I get back. I am out here for other things.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

ThinkSnow

Our next family ski vacation that involves something new/different will be Le Massif & Mont Saint Anne
If you still have the opportunity to choose dates, look into going up when the Quebec Winter Carnival is happening. Lots of fun in the old city in addition to skiing.

bdfreetuna

If you still have the opportunity to choose dates, look into going up when the Quebec Winter Carnival is happening. Lots of fun in the old city in addition to skiing.

I actually went to that on a high school senior trip, good memories. Definitely something I'd like to experience again with the our family once we grow up a little.