Skier speed trap hell - Page 40

AlpineZone

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 409
  1. #391
    Responding to Benecdict:

    Actually nowadays the opposite is true. The last 2 generations of Corvette punch well above their weight and are tremendous value for the dollar. They don't appeal to or make sense for me, but I can certainly appreciate them.

    I'd rather have a 10 year Porsche Cayman or 30-40 year old 911, performance be damned.

  2. #392
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Hasn't that always been the knock on the Corvette; that for the same sum of money you can get a better sports car?
    For the $$$, the current Corvette is about the highest performing sports car you can buy. You have to get into high end Porches and other European exotics costing far more $$$$ to get the kind of handling, acceleration and braking you get in a Corvette these days.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

  3. #393
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Hasn't that always been the knock on the Corvette; that for the same sum of money you can get a better sports car?
    No, that's always been one of its calling cards really. Its always been competing with exotics in terms of performance at a much lesser price tag. Of course, with that, you lost a lot of the comforts and build quality compared to the more expensive alternates.

    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    For the $$$, the current Corvette is about the highest performing sports car you can buy. You have to get into high end Porches and other European exotics costing far more $$$$ to get the kind of handling, acceleration and braking you get in a Corvette these days.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    ^^ This. Though it will never be looked on the same due to the build quality, etc. which allow a car like the Corvette to perform the way it does and not cost 2-3x. Personally, I have nothing against Corvettes in general.

    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Well, you are talking 75-80k for a well equipped Grand Sport. You are looking North of $100k for the Z. That's a big leap.

    This article describes why the GS is perhaps the better pick if you mainly plan on cruising around normal roads

    https://jalopnik.com/2017-corvette-g...tte-1784235809

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    If you're buying a part-time mid-life-crisis-mobile and money is a concern, go used. You could get something much more impressive, faster, etc. than a new Corvette Grand Sport for $75-80k. If you're worried about reliability, buy something cheaper and reliable and a less reliable toy. I'd bet you can do both for under $80k still.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

  4. #394
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
    Actually nowadays the opposite is true. The last 2 generations of Corvette punch well above their weight and are tremendous value for the dollar. They don't appeal to or make sense for me, but I can certainly appreciate them.

    I'd rather have a 10 year Porsche Cayman or 30-40 year old 911, performance be damned.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    For the $$$, the current Corvette is about the highest performing sports car you can buy. You have to get into high end Porches and other European exotics costing far more $$$$ to get the kind of handling, acceleration and braking you get in a Corvette these days.
    Interesting; I'm glad to hear that, go USA.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  5. #395
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Interesting; I'm glad to hear that, go USA.
    Performance-wise, they stand up.

    But don't worry, the rest of the world still snubs their nose at the Corvette for being made of sub-par materials and having sub-par build quality compared to its European counterparts.

    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: Hoping for 35+ days!

  6. #396
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    9,890
    Not considering European sports cars, I think most are overpriced and maintaining them is even more expensive.

    I'm looking for something made in the USA and I've always had a thing for Corvettes going way back to being a kid. My neighbor's Z06 is a beast and it looks like one too. The murdered out all black look isn't my style but it does enhance the beastly look.

    I have considered buying an older Vette but I really like the newest styling. The Z06 does have a ton of ground effects bodywork that would be problematic for daily driving. That exhaust note (roar) is hard to resist though. Perhaps the best solution is to get the GS and bring it to a tuner.

    Decisions decisions!

  7. #397
    x10003q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    628
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Not considering European sports cars, I think most are overpriced and maintaining them is even more expensive.

    I'm looking for something made in the USA and I've always had a thing for Corvettes going way back to being a kid. My neighbor's Z06 is a beast and it looks like one too. The murdered out all black look isn't my style but it does enhance the beastly look.

    I have considered buying an older Vette but I really like the newest styling. The Z06 does have a ton of ground effects bodywork that would be problematic for daily driving. That exhaust note (roar) is hard to resist though. Perhaps the best solution is to get the GS and bring it to a tuner.

    Decisions decisions!
    If you want a fun and affordable car, get the new Camaro V6 with the 1LE Track Package - out the door for around $32k
    http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-sports-car/1le-packages

  8. #398
    Going back to the original topic for a moment, (sorry to hijack the thread drift). On my way to Killington this morning while passing through the 25 MPH school zone with no school in Bridgewater, as I slowed to 25 I was passed by a car with NH plates flying, at maybe 50. Now, I never wish bad karma on anyone, but I was expecting a good laugh a 100 or so yards up the road where the Sherriff basically lives. Alas, the unsuspecting tourist lucked out and likely caught a shift change as it was about 8 am, and passed safely. On my way home, the Sherriff was back in his usual spot, enforcing the the no school school zone 25. That drives sucks, and is at least part of the reason that I no longer ski K, until it is the only option. Carry on with the thread hijack.

  9. #399
    Saw a county cop doing radar at the old gas station in Plymouth on the up...nothing on the way home. First time I've seen a cop in Plymouth this year. Didn't see another cop the whole day...91 included. The construction delay in Chester sucked though.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14

    2017-18 days - 23
    Wachusett: 11/12, 11/13, 11/14, 12/15, 2/21, 3/22, 4/6
    Loon: 1/9; Sunapee: 1/22; Okemo; 2/6
    Winter Park: 2/12, 2/13; Copper 2/14, 2/15, 2/16
    Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14; Berkshire East: 3/20
    Killington: 3/25, 3/26, 4/22, 5/18; Whiteface 4/2

  10. #400
    Just to confirm for everyone, Mount Tabor's finest was out in full force aka all of one with his Charger. Was there in the way up to K and then again heading home in the afternoon in the exact same spot so much so I kind of wondered if he had moved at all in the 7-8 hours that had passed.

    All this talk of Corvettes being the best performance for the money, LoL... No. Unbelievable performance for the many absolutely, right up there, but just a small step below the real boys. I mean even the new Camaro ZL1 comes real close on track but just cannot handle as tight. Hell a Hellcat or Demon is more interesting overall, just be very careful cause it wants to kill you. The real competitors would be a BMW M4 and M2 competition packs. They handle significantly better than anything GM can manage and the interior/tech is all far superior as well. Of course BMW comes with it's own stereotypes, but hey the Vettes sure do cover up for something small as well!

    Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

    www.skibigsquaw.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:45 AM.