• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Judgement Day

Jcb890

Still undecided on what to do this year, but I think it'll be the Peak Pass or VT 5/3 passes like tuna mentioned above.
I don't think we'll each be getting a pass though this year as I do not think a 6-9 month old is going to allow for a whole lot of riding time this season for the 2 of us (born 5/25).

Thinking more about it now, I'm not even sure if I'll get enough days myself to make a pass worth it... $729 + tax = $775
I would need to get in 20 days to get it under $40/day and that seems a bit risky since every time we go, it is a day trip and we now have a newborn.

bdfreetuna

^^

Congrats on the young 'un. Hope your wife is understanding and supportive of your deep, innate need to ski. Do you have flexibile work days / week days off? I made out pretty well last season on a reduced schedule by being flexible and chasing good weather.

Jcb890

^^

Congrats on the young 'un. Hope your wife is understanding and supportive of your deep, innate need to ski. Do you have flexibile work days / week days off? I made out pretty well last season on a reduced schedule by being flexible and chasing good weather.
Thank you, you also! How long until you guys get her on skis?!

She is understanding, but she's also into riding... just not as much as I am.

Currently my work schedule is not very flexible at all, no working remote, M-F... but... I am looking to change that.

bdfreetuna

I figure year 3 is when kids can actually get on skis with the prospect of potentially advancing. Prior to that might as well put them on a snow tube.

Same with my wife... she's very much about skiing but only as of 5 years ago when I first made her go ;) ... this year since our daughter will be a year old+ by ski season hopefully we can get Grandma to do some overnights so wife and I can take a few weekends.

I'm kind of of the mentality that skiing = life and my wife knows it's probably not worth it for anyone involved to ask me to sacrifice my ski season.

My excuse is that I need to maintain my vitality to be a good father in the long run ;)

Jcb890

I figure year 3 is when kids can actually get on skis with the prospect of potentially advancing. Prior to that might as well put them on a snow tube.

Same with my wife... she's very much about skiing but only as of 5 years ago when I first made her go ;) ... this year since our daughter will be a year old+ by ski season hopefully we can get Grandma to do some overnights so wife and I can take a few weekends.

I'm kind of of the mentality that skiing = life and my wife knows it's probably not worth it for anyone involved to ask me to sacrifice my ski season.

My excuse is that I need to maintain my vitality to be a good father in the long run ;)
Similar with my wife, I got her into snowboarding because I was into it and she hated the cold and winter. Now she loves snowboarding and has something to look forward to in the winter. I am sure we could probably get babysitter(s) if needed, maybe we will a couple/few times, but not sure, he'll still be pretty young and we're not looking to just dump him on people to go do our thing.

My mother is the type that will offer to help and thinks she is really being so helpful, but isn't and my dad is just along for the ride and probably wouldn't do any actual helping.
Here's a great example... we were going on a snowboarding trip last season for a long-weekend, Thursday-Tuesday or something like that. She offers to watch the dogs for us and we think "great!" The next day she asks us if we can change our trip dates so she only has to watch the dogs on the weekend. We say no. She says fine, I'll do the days, but the dogs need to be crated all day and all night while they sleep. Um, no thanks. We had our niece stay at our house instead and care for the dogs.

In July we have a wedding to go to... she offered to babysit, only if it is at their house. But, they live 25-30 mins North of us and the wedding is South of us in RI... so we'd need to drive an extra hour on the way there and another extra hour on a Sunday evening after the wedding.

Thank you for the "help" mom! haha.

I agree with your last sentence, my back and hips have been killing me lately, so I have been trying to stay active doing stretching and some cardio on the elliptical.

Smellytele

Thank you, you also! How long until you guys get her on skis?!
My oldest started at 4, middle one at 3 and youngest at 2 about 3 months before his 3rd birthday. The year before they started I would put them on skis and push them around and get them to go on barely slanted snow.

jimk

I turn 65 later this year and bought my first ever senior priced season pass. It's for Snowbird, UT. I hope to stay at my son's house in UT a lot to take advantage of the pass. You guys keep raising those kids right!

SkiFanE

Still undecided on what to do this year, but I think it'll be the Peak Pass or VT 5/3 passes like tuna mentioned above.
I don't think we'll each be getting a pass though this year as I do not think a 6-9 month old is going to allow for a whole lot of riding time this season for the 2 of us (born 5/25).

Thinking more about it now, I'm not even sure if I'll get enough days myself to make a pass worth it... $729 + tax = $775
I would need to get in 20 days to get it under $40/day and that seems a bit risky since every time we go, it is a day trip and we now have a newborn.
Congrats! My husband and I are big ski fanatics - we had our first kid in March of 1996 - the incredible snow winter. Quickly learned to suppress my innate desire to scream my head off at the luck lmao. But basically - 22 years and 3 kids later and I still have to suppress that scream - this winter it was cheerleading comps on weeekend (!!!). But I will say the first 3-4 years we barely skied - life just takes you down a different path and I didn't miss it much. THen when oldest was 6 or so we took her to local ski area to learn. Lessons were a joke. We realized we missed it tons, doing weekend days at little expensive hill were not doing any good to feed the addiction. Weekend excursions to rented places with 2 kids (then) was a hassle and exhausting (I've always worked FT). So we bought a cheap place near SR (like the price of a shed in MA lol) and figured we'd sell if we needed when college approached. Had to go in with both feet or pretty much give it up. So now all 3 kids are awesome skiers, kid 2 is a ski instructor to wee ones. We now think we'll retire to ski place - no way we are ever giving it up. The kids love it, we have Xmas there and will be a magnet as they get their own families.

So...suppress the urge to scream, don't buy a pass this winter - or you will have to suppress screams over wasted $. Enjoy your time with the baby - it really flies by. As far as ages... my 3 started at 6, 4 and 2.5. Middle kid tried at 3 but she was just not having any of the cold and crap and it was no fun at all. She was much better at 4. Littlest was a lodge baby - and the Summer he turned 2 SR installed the magic carpet. So when hanging in lodge one day (waiting for relief from hubby so I could ski) - I found out you can rent kiddie skis for $10/day. So rest of winter when the weather and his naps were right time (lol) we'd "ride the magic carpet" - skiing was just the way to get back down to the ride. He was that parallel skier kid at 6yo bombing down a hill with me barely keeping up - like fish to water (and at 12yo says he hates to ski :( ).

so if you and wife are into skiing/boarding try to find a way to incorporate it. We have a smaller home in burbs than most, so we can afford two homes (we pay less/year to own and maintain than a winter seasonal rental at a tiny condo on mountain). Also leverage any RE gain you have - have to say Boston burbs RE has helped us quite a bit over 25 years!

Chill for a few years, get your parental bearings and then bring the family into the fold. Honestly - as much of an addict as I am - I couldn't have separated myself that much from my family to get what I needed - I would have missed too much. So needed to get kids to be skiers. Don't forget about it - but don't try to stress about getting so many days in. I now get 50+ with 3 kids and FT job.

MommaBear

Congrats! My husband and I are big ski fanatics - we had our first kid in March of 1996 - the incredible snow winter. Quickly learned to suppress my innate desire to scream my head off at the luck lmao. But basically - 22 years and 3 kids later and I still have to suppress that scream - this winter it was cheerleading comps on weeekend (!!!). But I will say the first 3-4 years we barely skied - life just takes you down a different path and I didn't miss it much. THen when oldest was 6 or so we took her to local ski area to learn. Lessons were a joke. We realized we missed it tons, doing weekend days at little expensive hill were not doing any good to feed the addiction. Weekend excursions to rented places with 2 kids (then) was a hassle and exhausting (I've always worked FT). So we bought a cheap place near SR (like the price of a shed in MA lol) and figured we'd sell if we needed when college approached. Had to go in with both feet or pretty much give it up. So now all 3 kids are awesome skiers, kid 2 is a ski instructor to wee ones. We now think we'll retire to ski place - no way we are ever giving it up. The kids love it, we have Xmas there and will be a magnet as they get their own families.

So...suppress the urge to scream, don't buy a pass this winter - or you will have to suppress screams over wasted $. Enjoy your time with the baby - it really flies by. As far as ages... my 3 started at 6, 4 and 2.5. Middle kid tried at 3 but she was just not having any of the cold and crap and it was no fun at all. She was much better at 4. Littlest was a lodge baby - and the Summer he turned 2 SR installed the magic carpet. So when hanging in lodge one day (waiting for relief from hubby so I could ski) - I found out you can rent kiddie skis for $10/day. So rest of winter when the weather and his naps were right time (lol) we'd "ride the magic carpet" - skiing was just the way to get back down to the ride. He was that parallel skier kid at 6yo bombing down a hill with me barely keeping up - like fish to water (and at 12yo says he hates to ski :( ).

so if you and wife are into skiing/boarding try to find a way to incorporate it. We have a smaller home in burbs than most, so we can afford two homes (we pay less/year to own and maintain than a winter seasonal rental at a tiny condo on mountain). Also leverage any RE gain you have - have to say Boston burbs RE has helped us quite a bit over 25 years!

Chill for a few years, get your parental bearings and then bring the family into the fold. Honestly - as much of an addict as I am - I couldn't have separated myself that much from my family to get what I needed - I would have missed too much. So needed to get kids to be skiers. Don't forget about it - but don't try to stress about getting so many days in. I now get 50+ with 3 kids and FT job.

What she said. :razz:

Just remember you aren't the only one making sacrifices. Sharing the load goes a LONG way when the kids start coming.

shwilly

Great post, SkiFanE. Our experience has been similar so far.

Jcb890, congrats on the little one! Like others, I would guess your number of days will dip for a while. Personally, I went down to 1-5 days a season when the kids were babies. I would skip the pass and plan to go a la carte for the next season or two.

A couple ideas:
-If some angelic grandparent is game to do this some weekend, rent a place on mountain for your family and said grandparent. Grandparent takes care of baby while you and wife ski. If the place is on mountain, you and mama can check in on the baby at lunch or in between runs.
-You and your wife could get a single day ticket and take turns doing runs while the other one takes care of baby in the lodge.

Other than that, it's tough. You can get the occasional day solo or with your buddies if your wife watches the baby, and vice versa. But those probably won't add up to too many.

Good luck!