• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bra trees

Domeskier

Wait, what?

If this is true, I'd love to read their scientific rationale behind it (so I can subsequently mock it).

Human waste is particularly icky? Sure, it would be preferable if all animals relieved themselves in toilets, but humans are the only ones reliably capable of doing so, so why not force them to?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wait, what?

If this is true, I'd love to read their scientific rationale behind it (so I can subsequently mock it).

BG, we need you to dress-down SLC. They are NAZIS when it comes to policing the waters of both Cottonwood Canyons. First, no dogs. Period. Second, nobody is to TOUCH the water. The reason? It is drinking water. Of course they chlorinate it, but still, nobody can swim, fish, bathe, drink, or touch the water. When we stayed at Tanner Flats in 2012 we observed the SLC Water Department ACTUALLY driving through daily to monitor people. They still do that. The campground managers were very blunt about pointing out to us at check-in a sign that said, "NO SWIMMING". They said, "don't touch the water." :roll: Pretty typical for SLC. They can't do what is needed and are not at all competent, but overpolice stupid shit like this.

JimG.

Staff member
While not a big fan of the bra tree, it's the empty beer cans that disappoint me. My imagination allows me to think that my fellow skiers share my love of the outdoors and a desire to keep our environment clean.

This.

The most idiotic thing I have seen is at Hunter where PEAKS has installed garbage cans at various lift towers. So now you get to see an empty garbage can surrounded by tons of cans thrown there by people with bad aim.

JimG.

Staff member
BG, we need you to dress-down SLC. They are NAZIS when it comes to policing the waters of both Cottonwood Canyons. First, no dogs. Period. Second, nobody is to TOUCH the water. The reason? It is drinking water. Of course they chlorinate it, but still, nobody can swim, fish, bathe, drink, or touch the water. When we stayed at Tanner Flats in 2012 we observed the SLC Water Department ACTUALLY driving through daily to monitor people. They still do that. The campground managers were very blunt about pointing out to us at check-in a sign that said, "NO SWIMMING". They said, "don't touch the water." :roll: Pretty typical for SLC. They can't do what is needed and are not at all competent, but overpolice stupid shit like this.

What if you're dying from thirst?

Scruffy

This.

The most idiotic thing I have seen is at Hunter where PEAKS has installed garbage cans at various lift towers. So now you get to see an empty garbage can surrounded by tons of cans thrown there by people with bad aim.

Yeah, I don't understand how people can come to the mountains and litter; it's antithetical to the experience, make no sense.

cdskier

This.

Another Jersey thing! Mountain Creek/Vernon Valley used to have those too back in the 90s!

BenedictGomez

Human waste is particularly icky? Sure, it would be preferable if all animals relieved themselves in toilets, but humans are the only ones reliably capable of doing so, so why not force them to?

There's no threat to the watershed from a human taking a pee versus a rabbit or a black bear taking a pee.

BG, we need you to dress-down SLC. They are NAZIS when it comes to policing the waters of both Cottonwood Canyons. First, no dogs. Period. Second, nobody is to TOUCH the water. The reason? It is drinking water. Of course they chlorinate it, but still, nobody can swim, fish, bathe, drink, or touch the water.

That's really ridiculous. I remember there being a big h2o treatment facility right at the bottom of the canyon. Yes, Fido does carry bacteria, but so too does every living thing, including raccoon, elk, bear, squirrels, skunk, mice, and 101 other critters that frolic in that same water, daily. It's not like 10 or 20 dogs stepping into the stream each day are going to harm the water, water that is particle strained & chlorinated, etc...

Uhhhh..... hate those things. They have them at Blue Mountain in PA as well, and they're ugly as hell.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

I've seen a couple places where things get out of hand . Take a raft trip along the Lehigh river through the Poconos where the raft groups pull over to "Rest Stop". No facilities but just try to find a spot where there is no TP , It's damn disgusting.

Limits to everything.

BenedictGomez

I've seen a couple places where things get out of hand . Take a raft trip along the Lehigh river through the Poconos where the raft groups pull over to "Rest Stop". No facilities but just try to find a spot where there is no TP , It's damn disgusting.

Limits to everything.

It didn't used to be like that. The Poconos have changed since the arrival of the bipedal animals.

catskillman

Every time I see a bra tree, I'm tempted to go pick up a pair of size XXXL tighty whities to contribute.

A few ears back at Hunter someone threw a pair of long johns, the old time waffle type on a tree. They added a large stain for effect.
The wind wipped and tore those long johns apart for a couple of years before they were gone completly........

Smellytele

This.

It keeps people from littering everywhere and makes it easier to pick up when all in one area.

Jully

It keeps people from littering everywhere and makes it easier to pick up when all in one area.

Agreed. I support trash cans under lifts (even if it is ugly). Where do you think all those beer cans were going before? Into people's pockets until they either skated to the can at the top of the lift or got back to the lodge? No way.

eatskisleep

Agreed. I support trash cans under lifts (even if it is ugly). Where do you think all those beer cans were going before? Into people's pockets until they either skated to the can at the top of the lift or got back to the lodge? No way.

I would prefer they just place a trash can at the top of the lift next to the trail maps. Keeps the mountain cleaner than people attempting to drop their beer can from the chair into a trash barrel below.

As as for the bra trees? Sure. Why not.

skiur

I remember as a kid camelback had a net around the garbage can, making it much harder to miss.

Glenn

Every time I see a bra tree, I'm tempted to go pick up a pair of size XXXL tighty whities to contribute.

And melt down a chocolate bar so you can add some simulated "skid-marks". :lol:

Killingtime

Mountain Creek still has the garbage cans under the lift lines. They painted bullseye targets on round pieces of plywood over the cans to make it easier to aim. I've never seen so many empties on a ski resort. Lots of Bud Light and Red Bull.

ShadyGrove

Bra/panty trees started as a way to brag about last night's conquest from the bar. I'm not sure what it's turned into though.