• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bra trees

Smellytele

I've accidentally dropped food wrappers from a lift, and I'm not changing my plan to try and go pick them up, especially after the wind has its chance.

Garbage cans at the top are very helpful, but some people are gonna litter anyway.

more so if the trail isn't open or has no snow on it

Jcb890

I've accidentally dropped food wrappers from a lift, and I'm not changing my plan to try and go pick them up, especially after the wind has its chance.

Garbage cans at the top are very helpful, but some people are gonna litter anyway.

more so if the trail isn't open or has no snow on it
In my experience, Ski Patrol does not take kindly to you doing on closed trails, even to pick up litter or something valuable...

Up at Jay Peak a friend dropped his pack off the lift onto a closed trail. We asked the lift attendant/operator at the top station and he told us we'd have to go down and get it. It was a black diamond, so there was some decent pitch in spots and it was quite icy... basically ice and snow patches in between rocks and grass. After my friend slipped, wound up sliding 50+ft and barely missed a boulder with his head, we decided we needed to strap in to use our edges. When we got down to the pack there was a Ski Patrol guy on the lift who was furious and screaming at us. We tried to explain the situation, but he refused to listen, instead just repeatedly yelling at us and telling us that if he found us there or saw us later, he'd be taking our lift tickets.

KustyTheKlown

they don't want to have to perform an evac where they can't safely get a sled down over snow.

Jcb890

they don't want to have to perform an evac where they can't safely get a sled down over snow.
I understand that completely, but they should also listen to people as well.

Just pointing out, that even if you were being a good Samaritan to pick up litter, you're going to get yelled at/in trouble on a closed trail.

Back on subject - I really don't have an issue w these few and far between trees, but used to call these "Mardi Gras" trees when skiing w my two sons of early ages. Softened the fact there was underwear on the trees, yet allowed my kids to smile and enjoy the expression of freedom. We even added some beads at one point to contribute.

Don't blow things out of proportion and enjoy the experience.

VTKilarney

I just don’t see littering as an acceptable “expression of freedom.”

skiur

It's funny how many people are getting their pantys in a bunch over a few bras and beads in a tree. Some people just have to have something to complain about I guess.

VTKilarney

It's funny how many people are getting their pantys in a bunch over a few bras and beads in a tree. Some people just have to have something to complain about I guess.

I haven’t seen anyone get that upset in this thread. Why are you making things up?

BenedictGomez

Don't blow things out of proportion and enjoy the experience.

Can you could explain what sense of great enjoyment you derive from seeing plastic crap & old bras strewn over trees in a forest?

Maybe it's similar to how I dont "get" WWE wrestling or watching Real Housewives.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Had to explain the bra tree thing to my kids on Sunday.

4YO: dad, why there's clothes in the tree

ME:. It's a silly tradition, but most every mountain has a tree people throw their bras and underwear into.

7YO: ewwew, Gross! Eeeeewww

4YO:. But why dad? Why? Why dad? But why?

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
My dad spent some time in New Orleans, for me it's always been the Mardi Gras tree
At Burke it was the "Lucky Tree".

"Lucky tree, lucky tree, please protect me, and both my knees, 1, 2, 3!"

Brighton has one hell of a tree right now. I will have to get a picture. We will see if it remains after the installation of the new Crest 6-Pack.

The Sneak

I always thought it would be funny to throw a pair of size 44 (or larger) BVDs up in the tree just to harsh the vibes.
But I'd have to procure such an item and uh, no thanks.