Your goals for next season 18/19? - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    My Top-Ten list for 2019 (in no particular order)

1) Get to Magic again

2) Get to Plattekill more

3) Lose 15 pounds

4) Get out west again (did Utah 2016 & Colorado 2017). Though I will be spending a few weeks in Utah this summer, does that count?

5) Keep improving on the bumps strides I made this season

6) Take a moguls lesson (sort of like #5, but point is, I havent had a lesson in years).

7) Get faster in the trees (without suffering injury)

8 ) Wax my skis more now that I have all the equipment

9) Keep improving upon my very particular set of SOTC skills. SOTC skills I have acquired over a very long ski career.

10) Just GO skiing. Too much waiting on or guessing "conditions" makes me lose 1 or 2 weekends each season
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

1) slow down
    2) drink less beer
    3)ski less
    wait those are my wife's goals for me.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    My Top-Ten list for 2019 (in no particular order)

Though I will be spending a few weeks in Utah this summer, does that count?
    Vacation? You hitting some National Parks? Utah is amazing. Ski/board down a sand dune and we'll count it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    1) slow down
    2) drink less beer
    3)ski less
    wait those are my wife's goals for me.
    2017/2018: Baby Julia born 12/3/2017!
    [Bolton Valley: 2/19] [Bromley: 2/7] [Jay Peak: 4/11, 4/12] [Killington: 12/15, 1/10, 3/15*, 3/24] [Mad River Glen: 2/14, 3/9*] [Magic: 3/8***, 3/23] [Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/22*, 4/19] [Pico: 2/9] [Stowe: 2/15] [Sugarbush: 4/22]

2016/2017: * = powder day
    [Berkshire East: 1/16, 2/10] [Bolton Valley: 1/1, 2/5*, 2/19] [Burke: 12/17*, 1/28*] [Heavenly: 3/5*, 3/11] [Jay Peak: 1/29*, 4/9] [Jiminy Peak: 11/26] [Killington: 12/4, 12/10, 4/8*, 4/15] [Kirkwood: 3/8] [Mad River Glen: 2/25] [Magic: 2/13*] [Mt Rose: 3/7*] [Mount Snow: 4/3] [Northstar: 3/10] [Okemo: 11/23] [Pico: 1/7*, 2/18, 3/19] [Smuggler’s Notch: 1/22] [Stratton: 2/4] [Stowe: 1/21] [Sugarbush: 1/2] [Telluride: 3/27, 3/28*] [Whiteface: 2/12]

Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    Vacation? You hitting some National Parks? Utah is amazing. Ski/board down a sand dune and we'll count it.
    Yeah; Honeymoon. The future Mrs. fell in love with Utah a few years ago when we spent 10 days there skiing, and she wants to see it in the summer, so we're spending one week in Park City, hiking, mountain biking, fishing, etc...

The second week we're either going to do some Utah National Parks south of PC, like Arches, Dinosaur Monument, and Bryce Canyon, or we'll head north and do Yellowstone & Grand Targhee. It's a tough decision. Anyone here been to all (or most) of those?

Yeah; Honeymoon. The future Mrs. fell in love with Utah a few years ago when we spent 10 days there skiing, and she wants to see it in the summer, so we're spending one week in Park City, hiking, mountain biking, fishing, etc...

The second week we're either going to do some Utah National Parks south of PC, like Arches, Dinosaur Monument, and Bryce Canyon, or we'll head north and do Yellowstone & Grand Targhee. It's a tough decision. Anyone here been to all (or most) of those?

Awesome, congrats! I've been to most of those places in the summer. A few recently and a whole bunch when I was a kid in the 70s. Was at Zion a couple years ago, crazy beautiful, but a bit of a drive from pc. Skinned my knee at Arches when I was around 7, also remember the arches being really cool. Tough to go wrong anywhere out there, just that some are more crowded than others when kids are out of school.

Camped at Grand Teton National Park for 10 days back in the early 90's. Don't miss the Tetons! Visited and hiked in Yellowstone, spent several days there also not to be missed. Spent a whole day at Dinosaur Monument. Really a fascinating place I think most people would be interested in because we all seem intrigued by dinosaurs.

Fished in the Snake river near Teton and also the Yellowstone river which was a fisherman's dream. Both are loaded with native Cutthroat trout. Yellowstone was particularly amazing because it is strictly catch and release and consequently the average sized trout was huge. 5 pounders were "small" and we caught 10-15 pounders with little effort.

so we're spending one week in Park City, hiking, mountain biking, fishing, etc...
    I'm assuming you have a base (family?) in PC? Otherwise, it doesn't compare with the rest of Utah.

For 2 or even 3 weeks, you probably don't want to go all over the place and end up not seeing enough in detail.

Focus on either the south or the north. (you CAN split with one week each, but even that is short the moment you start talking about hiking and mountain biking). I like the south. Arches, Bryce and Zion is just ... out of this freaking world!

For mountain biking, Moab and Fruita, need I say more? (actually, there's a whole lot more of absolutely fantastic mountain biking in southern Utah that don't make the New York Time hippy's list like Moab & Fruita, that are just as great, go to mtbr.com to have a glimpse)

Yellowstone is great. Teton is great. Albeit a bit over-hyped. More importantly, different. Yellowstone is a nice mixture of wild life and geysers, both are unique and fantastic. But the hiking is ... well, nothing special. For hiking, I think southern Utah has better hiking because you're more "in" the scenery. Very intimate, and every turn of the corner reveals new vista. As oppose to the Tetons, where you're looking at them at a distance for a long while, a bit detached.

So it depends on your personal preference, you may like one more than the other.
    Last edited by abc; May 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    I'm assuming you have a base (family?) in PC? Otherwise, it doesn't compare with the rest of Utah.
    No family in Park City, but there's plenty of hiking, mountain biking, fishing, restaurants, stuff to do in that area, and we found insanely cheap lodging, so it seemed like a no brainer to stay a week there. Also, the future Mrs. really loved Utah and a few years ago made me promise to take her there in the summer as she wanted to see what the Wasatch area is like in a non-skiing/warmer setting.

It's the other week that we have complete flexibility over to see some national parks, and I do agree with your fear of attempting to, "see so much that you wind up seeing nothing", so to speak. So I need to figure out how much time is needed to really check out a park and do at least a few major trails, perhaps we'll only wind up seeing 2 parks in 6 days if it's better to take 3 full days per park, etc....

Bryce and Arches are probably the two most photogenic of the National Parks. Next to Bryce is Ceder Brake and Red Canyon. Bother beautiful beyond believe. (my personal preference: intricate rock formation you can hike/bike next to)

You need to keep weather (temperature) and crowd in mind. Choose wisely on those factor, you can't go wrong in terms of what's there to see. But crowds can totally change the experience (temperature too).

Thread Information