• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your goals for next season 18/19?

WWF-VT

We did a Utah National Parks trip late last August. Flew into Salt Lake City went to Zion, Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef. You need to spend a few days at each place to really see more than the highlights from vistas. Amazing drive from Bryce to Capitol Reef on Highway 12 and we did a hike to Lower Calf Creek Falls in the Grand Staircase-Escalante on the way. I advise anyone that goes to get the Lonely Planet Guides to Zion & Bryce Canyon National Parks book to help plan your trip and hikes.

thetrailboss

Staff member
No family in Park City, but there's plenty of hiking, mountain biking, fishing, restaurants, stuff to do in that area, and we found insanely cheap lodging, so it seemed like a no brainer to stay a week there. Also, the future Mrs. really loved Utah and a few years ago made me promise to take her there in the summer as she wanted to see what the Wasatch area is like in a non-skiing/warmer setting.

It's the other week that we have complete flexibility over to see some national parks, and I do agree with your fear of attempting to, "see so much that you wind up seeing nothing", so to speak. So I need to figure out how much time is needed to really check out a park and do at least a few major trails, perhaps we'll only wind up seeing 2 parks in 6 days if it's better to take 3 full days per park, etc....

Feel free to PM

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Equinox

I'm late to this thread, but whatever.

Goals for 2018/2019:

1) Get in some sort of shape that isn't round
2) Ski once a week at least
3) figure out how to work this glasses/goggles thing!
4) TAKE A SKI VACATION for once, even if it's a weekend at Cannon.
5) Ski at 3 new mountains

I'm sure I've got more that I want to do, but I seem to have forgotten at the moment.

Smellytele

How's everyone's food / beer / exercise related goals coming along so far?

:oops:

Yes I am visiting more breweries than planned this summer because my wife has discovered she likes some types and trying out new ones. I have been road riding more than the last few years as well. Not as much as my late 30's earlier 40's but more than the past few.

Pez

I'm actually down about 10 pounds at this point. Haven't surfed much with the sharks on CC, but done some paddleboarding, and some hikes along with my regular exercise. The big difference was cutting out all the bread I was eating. Haven't bought a loaf of bread in a couple months.

jimk

I'm actually down about 10 pounds at this point. Haven't surfed much with the sharks on CC, but done some paddleboarding, and some hikes along with my regular exercise. The big difference was cutting out all the bread I was eating. Haven't bought a loaf of bread in a couple months.

I went on cholesterol medicine about a year ago. It worked, but has made me lazy about avoiding bad food because my number stays real low no matter what I eat. i've gained ten pounds and can't shake it this summer. No bread would be tough for me because I love it, but sounds like something i should consider:-(
I went on a 40 mile bike ride last Saturday. Good workout, but I got monkey butt:)

Last edited:

Dickc

I am finding my back getting progressively worse. I am going to need to get another back surgery and that will kill the upcoming ski season as I will need to do PT and follow up exercise at the gym before I even think about strapping into skis again.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I was going through some pictures from this past season...here's a good goal...survive the Poma line at Pico again...

Poma.jpg

I finally got to ski it this year as it takes a monstrous amount of snow...even then it just gets pushed off I found. I traversed in as a family was hiking out, skis off. I asked if it was "skiable" and they gave me a pretty shallow "yes". Holy shit that is a gnarly, unrelenting trail. Rocks, the old cable, concrete, stumps, ice falls, and it's barely 10 feet wide. Most terrifying is that there's no way out once you're headed down with the super thick pine brush on both sides.

I skied it twice and I realized doing it again would just be looking for trouble.

Attachments

• DSCF6507.jpg
    DSCF6507.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:

JimG.

Staff member
Nice pic fixed orientation for you.

Looks exactly like the day I dropped in last season; using rock skis helps a lot.

bigbog

I am finding my back getting progressively worse. I am going to need to get another back surgery and that will kill the upcoming ski season as I will need to do PT and follow up exercise at the gym before I even think about strapping into skis again.

If there is a fitness center at your favorite mtn...aim to get to the point where you can make use of a few appropriate exercises at the mtn's fitness center...and do some mild winter hiking. I love winter hiking....I can dress for a comfortable winter hike far easier than I can a sizzling summer hike. At least it's something to aim for besides eating..

CoolMike

I'm hoping to teach my oldest daughter how to ski this winter. She turned 2 in May. We live near Nashoba Valley so I think that's the target "mountain".

I only really know how to snowboard but would learn how to ski if it would help me teach her. I should be able to help her descend with a harness and a leash. That's the goal for this coming winter.

Any tips for me?