• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your goals for next season 18/19?

cdskier

Probably a great idea with their late opening, depending on the season could be a powder fest.

I've had a couple great Mt Ellen opening days in the past few years, although it isn't as "untracked" as you would think due to people poaching or due to SB employees doing promotional photo shoots, etc before they officially open. Still usually excellent though.

bdfreetuna

Just picked up a Rav4 V6 with 27k miles so I'm looking forward to logging a lot of miles this winter. Wake up early and drive!

BenedictGomez

I've been exercising like crazy for 7 straight days on my vacation, so I'm off to a good start in my quest to get in better shape for 2018-2019, which is my #1 goal for the upcoming ski season. I dont want tired legs at 2pm from skiing trees.

BenedictGomez

Hmm..been there a couple of times and the draft beer thing is abysmal. I was not aware of the hamburger thing. Is that Mormon driven somehow?

I dont think so? At least, I dont know how burgers being cooked medium could fit into religious doctrine, but what do I know.

The alcohol stuff gets worse though. The next night I had the same waitress, who clearly delights in horrifying tourists with Utah's backwards alcohol laws. I told her if I lived here every 3 or 4 months I'd make a run to Wyoming or Colorado and bring back "real" beer. She then said, "no you wouldnt" - and proceeded to inform me that if you get caught bringing beer into Utah it's something insane like a $1,000 fine! You can BLOW past a cop on the interstate in Utah doing 110 mph, and the ticket cost is less than if you get caught bringing a 12 pack of beer into Utah from Wyoming. Caveat, I havent actually had the time to "fact/check" this, and I admit it sounds completely insane, but she was born & raised in Utah and works in a microbrew pub, so I assume she knows what she's talking about.

Edd

You can get decent beer at the liquor stores there. It’s just the draft beers at bars (where the legal limit applies)that make me sad.

Also, cocktails are poured with those booze measurement things so you never get a strong pour. Canada is guilty of this as well.

chuckstah

I dont think so? At least, I dont know how burgers being cooked medium could fit into religious doctrine, but what do I know.

The alcohol stuff gets worse though. The next night I had the same waitress, who clearly delights in horrifying tourists with Utah's backwards alcohol laws. I told her if I lived here every 3 or 4 months I'd make a run to Wyoming or Colorado and bring back "real" beer. She then said, "no you wouldnt" - and proceeded to inform me that if you get caught bringing beer into Utah it's something insane like a $1,000 fine! You can BLOW past a cop on the interstate in Utah doing 110 mph, and the ticket cost is less than if you get caught bringing a 12 pack of beer into Utah from Wyoming. Caveat, I havent actually had the time to "fact/check" this, and I admit it sounds completely insane, but she was born & raised in Utah and works in a microbrew pub, so I assume she knows what she's talking about.
A few years ago I was stopped for speeding in Utah in a rental car. The rental contract was in a suitcase pocket, in my trunk. Guess what else was in the trunk? The cop asked where the real beer came from. Vegas. He read me the riot act and informed me of what he could do. For a 12 pack. However, he let me go with just a warning, and the beer. Really stupid law.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Smellytele

A few years ago I was stopped for speeding in Utah in a rental car. The rental contract was in a suitcase pocket, in my trunk. Guess what else was in the trunk? The cop asked where the real beer came from. Vegas. He read me the riot act and informed me of what he could do. For a 12 pack. However, he let me go with just a warning, and the beer. Really stupid law.

so he took the beer for his own use or let you go with the beer?

chuckstah

so he took the beer for his own use or let you go with the beer?
He let me keep the beer. After threatening to arrest me, he calmed down and turned out to be quite nice.

BenedictGomez

You can get decent beer at the liquor stores there. It’s just the draft beers at bars (where the legal limit applies)that make me sad.

Also, cocktails are poured with those booze measurement things so you never get a strong pour. Canada is guilty of this as well.

But the Utah State stores selection is crap compared to a normal liquor store. The one here in Park City absolutely stinks. The one in Sandy was much better, but even then you had to scrutinize labels to make sure you're buying what you actually think you're buying.