• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your goals for next season 18/19?

jimk

Quit my job. Move to Chamonix and ski there for a season.

Might try something like this if I can commandeer a room in my son's house in Utah.

Spend as much time skiing with my 3 year old as possible, which will be limited as we have a zero year old arriving in November.

If I can get about a dozen solo days in, I'll be happy. Mainly Wildcat with some days at Magic, Black and Whaleback as well. I bought a McIntyre pass for next year to go along with my Peak Pass as Mac is 40 minutes away which will be good for short sessions with my 3 year old and it includes 3 days a piece at Magic, Whaleback, Black and a few others. Solid deal at $239

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Congrats on second child. Raise 'em right and the ski karma could come back to you:)

bdfreetuna

Another one... not use zero degree temps with wind chill as an excuse to stay home. Invest in some techy layers and suck it up..

NYDB

- Take 1st trip out west with entire family since the youngest was really skiing great by end of season. Maybe a week at Aspen because of Ikon.
- Try to make it to Bolton and or Plattekill to use freedom alliance free tix from Magic Pass
- Stretch the season at Killington since we have days there from the Ikon
- Take a Bro trip or solo trip if neccessary to either Jackson Hole or Snowbird (or both )
- progress in the park with my 10 year old on those boring groomer days.

ghughes20

Two goals...

1) Finish breaking in my new boots that I purchased the last weekend of my 2017/18 season and....
2) Post more on AlpineZone

shwilly

Offseason goal: stay in good enough shape that my legs don't limit me at the start of the season
Get better at skiing
Find more stashes

And my overall goal of the whole thing: have fun and relax with my family and friends.

Zand

I guess the most important is for me to hop on the lose weight/get in shape train that is running through this thread. I couldn't ski bumps all winter this year...they'd literally wear me out after a couple runs and that was if I was able to ski them...usually just flopped around. That especially killed me today at Killington. I was completely fine in the woods all year for some reason but everywhere I went I had to avoid bumps. Somehow I went the entire week in Colorado and never felt really worn down at all but I took an entire 6 runs on Superstar today and feel like I got hit by a truck.

Second is if we have a stretch like this year with good snow but cold, suck it up and go ski. If this season didn't get resurrected in March it would've been a very sour year as I hid indoors while it was cold, then all of a sudden the conditions sucked everywhere for two months. Have to get out there when the snow is good no matter what the weather is.

Have the Ikon pass for next year. So will likely return to Stratton for the first time in 12 years. Avoided it this year...found Sunapee more appealing. Also returning to Sugarbush for the first time in 9 years...not sure why I've missed it for so long...one of my favorite areas in the east. Will be glad to spend 5 days there. Also trying to pick up a VT 5 pack for use at Stowe, Smuggs, MRG, Jay, and Burke. Haven't been to Stowe since high school, Jay since college, and it's already been a few years since the other 3. And I feel like I've done myself a disservice by not going to magic in 10 years so that's on the plate.

Lastly is plan another west trip. Absolutely loved Winter Park and Copper and would like to go back, but I'll be in follow the snow mode and with all the choices with Ikon, I could end up just about anywhere.

Edd

I hate missing good snow because of the cold, but I’ve never dialed in the mask/goggle/frosting thing. I’ve had dumb luck a couple of times but it’s typically a shitshow trying to see clearly.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Zand

I hate missing good snow because of the cold, but I’ve never dialed in the mask/goggle/frosting thing. I’ve had dumb luck a couple of times but it’s typically a shitshow trying to see clearly.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Yup same. Even worse is a powder day. They get fogged up then you try to scrape with wet gloves and it just gets worse till you go inside. At least when it's cold you can scrape them off. My remedy is to take a handwarmer and rub it on the goggles...the fog goes away for a few mins. Not a great solution but haven't found anything else.

jimk

You guys in New England and New York have to deal with a different kind of cold and discomfort than the rest of the skiing nation.
bowing.gif

So I have sympathy with those who opt out on the coldest days. I skied Killington one day in the 1970s when the bank in downtown Rutland said minus 37 when we were heading up to the mtn at 730am. For us it was a novelty, the sun came out and later it was minus 17 on the mtn. You guys deal with that stuff too often to be a novelty.

Most of us weekend warriors in the mid-Atlantic very rarely have a ski day with air temps below zero. Out west it doesn't get that cold either, and even when it does, a zero degree day out there feels like 20 degrees back here because of the low humidity and intensity of high altitude sunshine.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Yup same. Even worse is a powder day. They get fogged up then you try to scrape with wet gloves and it just gets worse till you go inside. At least when it's cold you can scrape them off. My remedy is to take a handwarmer and rub it on the goggles...the fog goes away for a few mins. Not a great solution but haven't found anything else.

I like the handwarmer idea , was thinking a second pair in my pocket with a Cotton rag that I could change out ? Keep the warmer together with the second pair?

Pez

Ya I def missed a few days because of the cold this winter. regret it now that the season is over. i am always nervous about lift failure when the temps get that cold.

speden

Here's my list for next season:

Get more fluid at bumps and glades. I improved a lot this season, but it all falls apart beyond a certain steepness or when the snow is too firm.

Demo some skis early season to add something to the quiver. I love my old all mountains, but feel like for some conditions they are holding me back.

Try some new areas out west and/or in Canada. I got the Ikon pass, so that's a big incentive to get out there for what are now "free" ski days.

Hit the northeast areas on the Ikon pass that I've never skied before: Sugarbush and Stratton.

Get more days on the slopes. This season I mostly went on weekdays, since I hate buying day tickets for crowded weekend days. With the pass next season I can add some weekend days without the guilt of wasting money.

Side goal is to improve my strength and conditioning, which more days on the slopes should take care of. I'm coming to the conclusion that weight training in the gym helps, but hardly does anything compared to a day of hard skiing.

I've got no regrets about staying home this season during the bitter cold snap. I went out on one very cold day and it was not fun.

urungus

* Lose weight
* Improve my bump skiing and backwards skiing
* Find some goggles that don’t fog up
* Hit Northern Vermont areas (MRG, Stowe, Jay Peak, Smuggs)
* Ski the following trails for first time:
Killington - Outer Limits, lower Ovation
Magic - Witch, Black Line
Mt Snow - Ripcord
Okemo - Big Bang

jaytrem

The goal is always 10 new ski areas each year, for some reason that keeps getting harder.

Also need to make sure my injured knee is good to go (fell down the stairs at Holiday Valley before I even had my ski boots on). So I'll try to get some more biking in this year. Feels good right now, but was hurting after our big 10 day spring trip. Initial injury was in Feb. Could even click into the binding for a few days, had to push down on the boot. Didn't miss any skiing though!!!

I have committed to learned to ski and will not strap on a snowboard in the coming season .. (unless it is a powder day) Even thou I will be 67 I think I can do this ..

Last edited:

shwilly

I have committed to learned to ski and will not strap on a snowboard in the coming season .. (unless it is a powder day) Even thou I will be 67 I think I can do this ..

Best of luck! You may be on to something. I am at OK beginner skier level, but every time the snow is good I ditch the skis and put on the board. This may be limiting my skiing progression.