• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SAM: Peak Resorts Pass Sales Up Thanks to Drifter Pass

sull1102

As for the install, you say "make things work in such a way" and I'm pretty confident it doesn't work like that. This year at Jay all crossing lifts were shut due to work being done on the tram. Those don't even share the same towers.

Jay was forced to close those lifts a few weeks back because there was an incident on the tram and they could not fix it in time. Different situation altogether with a tram too. Think Stratton and how they did a little work on Snow Bowl during the week then reopened and had areas closed off from guests. A bigger problem that really screws things up is the base station. No matter where you put it you are going to have trouble having the public around. As is the lift sits maybe 15 feet from the drop off zone.

Totally agree about WV losing it's identity. We had a condo in the village for a few years in the Threedom Pass years and at least then the place had little things like Quadzilla with the silly paint and hat. It gave the place a vibe while being very silly. Another good example of a place that lost the park crowd to some degree too. It may not be popular here, but look at the scene at Carinthia, now that has an identity and drives ticket sales.

Just thought of this... What is that big tower would need to be replaced entirely for any upgrades and that is the hold up? Thinking about it more and more it makes no sense to spend $5 million on the Yankee, then 7 figures in a freakin zipline while your main lift holds you back.
Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Big ROI on those fancy ziplines at $75 a ride. I skied with the marketing director at Gunstock and talked with him about theirs and I forget the specifics of how quickly it would pay for itself, but it wasn't long.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

$75 for a zipline ride sounds like a bargain. Stowe is up to $135 this summer for their zipline.

machski

Big ROI on those fancy ziplines at $75 a ride. I skied with the marketing director at Gunstock and talked with him about theirs and I forget the specifics of how quickly it would pay for itself, but it wasn't long.

Ahhh, yeah, I wouldn't sight Gunstock with regards to ROI or budgeting or anything finance wise. Not really their strong suit apparently.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ahhh, yeah, I wouldn't sight Gunstock with regards to ROI or budgeting or anything finance wise. Not really their strong suit apparently.

Really? Not what I've heard from two reliable senior management sources as well as random Belknap country employees when I had a pass there. Typically returns a healthy profit for the county. I'm sure if it didn't, they'd lease it.

Jully

Really? Not what I've heard from two reliable senior management sources as well as random Belknap country employees when I had a pass there. Typically returns a healthy profit for the county. I'm sure if it didn't, they'd lease it.

It has lost money the past few years, including this year. I agree that it is odd and always thought I heard it just printed money in summers and winters.

drjeff

It has lost money the past few years, including this year. I agree that it is odd and always thought I heard it just printed money in summers and winters.

Gunstock lost $$ during ski operations this year, more as a result of the frigid Christmas week, then the rain/freeze up MLK, and then the rain/freeze up and then semi melt out Pres week causing a significant drop in skier visits during their "big 3" time periods, than anything else

machski

Well, I've heard a lot of complaining from Belknap County lately surrounding Gunstock and it's management. I believe some even questioned if it ever really did "print money". They have over extended themselves in debt for the Zipline, Coaster, ect. And their skier numbers have been down last two winters. Even heard some speculation county may look to sell.

Jully

Well, I've heard a lot of complaining from Belknap County lately surrounding Gunstock and it's management. I believe some even questioned if it ever really did "print money". They have over extended themselves in debt for the Zipline, Coaster, ect. And their skier numbers have been down last two winters. Even heard some speculation county may look to sell.

Very interesting. I would assume it would be a tempting asset to many potential buyers.

Smellytele

While Gunstock is closer to my house than Cannon. It is only 20 minutes closer and once I get off 93 it is a crap shoot on the speed you could travel. Cannon is worth the extra 20 minutes. It is 15 minutes further than Ragged and I would rather ski at Ragged as well.

EPB

While Gunstock is closer to my house than Cannon. It is only 20 minutes closer and once I get off 93 it is a crap shoot on the speed you could travel. Cannon is worth the extra 20 minutes. It is 15 minutes further than Ragged and I would rather ski at Ragged as well.

For those in the North Shore MA, Seacoast NH and ME coast up to Wells/Kennebunk, Gunstock is the closest place to get 1,200-1,400 feet vertical (unless I'm missing somewhere not named Shawnee in Maine that would be closer to coastal ME). I would also imagine that being by the lake is a plus. It could serve as a draw/reminder for those who like traveling to Winnipesaukee in the summer, but aren't die-hard skiers, to make a trip on the weekend. I haven't been to Ragged in 15 years (and Gunstock in 12), but the crowds at Gunstock used to be much larger than those at Ragged as I recall.

Not disagreeing with your assessment on the terrain at all.