Fishing 2018

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing 2018

Fishing 2018

I had a good ski season, especially March and April.

trout5.jpg

Stoked to start fishing.

Mike and I went for a row at the East Branch on 5/6. Neither of us expected to catch much just wanted to get out. Bass were invisible save for a 6" largemouth I caught. But we did find some good yellow perch action and caught about a dozen between us:

trout4.jpg

Today we went to the controlled river section of the EB and found recently stocked brown trout:

trout1.jpg

Feisty rainbow trout:

trout2.jpg

and a few beautiful holdover browns:

trout3.jpg

Enjoyed wading in the river but damn some of the rocks were deadly slippery.

Items for Sale
    Congrats on the browns and rainbows JimG! Love browns and rainbows so much, all we have up here in mid-central to northern Maine are brooktrout and landlocked salmon....have to drive a hundred+ miles for browns/rainbows. Yeah, aluminum studs/bars are the more environmentally friendly but I definitely need a wading staff as well. Such a PITA to need practice in wading/walking in waders...somehow my fore/aft balance needs practice, especially in the pushy currents even of many small brooks up here. Nice shortsleeves....the areas where I like to go up here....temps have yet to stabilize in the low 60s (middays).

Think everybody could use a week of bonefish in Los Roques olout88...y/n?

Last edited by bigbog; May 15, 2018 at 7:06 AM.
    SteveD

Yeah wading staffs always wind up being a PITA; I just need some felt soles for my waders for extra traction. But doing that slippery rock dance in the middle of the river and almost filling my waders seems like a yearly right of passage.

Early on it was chilly but by noon it got warm and I could fish in shirtsleeves. That water is always icy cold right through summer though; fed from the bottom of the reservoir upstream.

Great Memories, I'm quite Interested in Fishing as well. As I'm pretty New Hiker I haven't tried yet maybe soon going to do Fishing
    By the way very Inspiring Post

Got out on Rye Lake this past Friday for the first time this season hoping for some good early bass action. The forecast was for some rain but the weather stayed clear with some heat and humidity. Apparently the bass, especially smallmouths loved it:

Bas84.jpg
    Bas83.jpg

Captain Steve guided us to the fish:

Bas82.jpg

I was using plastic worms, both Steve and my buddy Chris used deep diving plugs that also seemed to work well:

Bas81.jpg

We spotted this Blue Heron in the crow's nest scoping out bait fish; we must have landed a half dozen nice bass in that one area:

Bas85.jpg

Great first full on day of bass angling looking forward to many more.

Celebrated opening day weekend of bass season yesterday between 4-9pm. Mike and his wife Alicia joined me.
    Large schools of spawning white perch made fish catching easy with a few in the 1-1.5 lbs range.
    Big fish had to be hunted and were offshore and deep. Had some good largemouth fishing in deep structure off the old weed beds:
    EB3.jpg
    Wound up deep water trolling in 60' areas and got some walleye action going. After both Alicia and I lost a big bite each Mike tied into something that almost took the rod out of his hands. A 10 minute fight ended with the biggest walleye I've ever seen landed:
    EB2.jpg
    Monster fish truly a beast:
    EB1.jpg
    It was nice to succeed on a weird conditions day; very hot and still.

Nice work!

Wow great day of smallmouth fishing Wednesday PM. First hour was a little slow but then the fish just turned on and Captain Steve and I landed several nice double headers:

Double.jpg

Heading out on Rye Lake again in a few hours.

More good fishing on 6/22, 6/29 and last Friday but the award for best fish over the past 3 weeks goes to my buddy Carmine with this 50lbs striper caught with a fly off the New Jersey coast:

Striper.jpg

Impressive fish!

Items for Sale
    What a Hog! Interesting how huge fleets of stripers have taken over/invaded? the lower stretches of traditional atlantic salmon rivers up in Quebec and Labrador as well...or at least if they've been there a while I just haven't searched YouTube enough to hit on em'. Striper action has been pretty active along the mid-southern Maine coast as well. I like the size of the fly in the pic.
    SteveD

Thread Information